"Trib" Coverage Resolution Proposal

• 37 posts
    July 13, 2007 12:42 AM BST
    (The following is text from an e-mail recently sent to "Tranny Tribune" staffer Robyn Webb in an effort to address the matter of continued coverage of my presidential campaign. It is my sincere hope that this proposal will resolve the issue to everyone's satisfaction. I am only too keenly aware that my views on some issues are not popular in the GLBT community. I am not necessarily trying to convert anyone, but only asking to be allowed a reasonable forum in which to disseminate those views, an eminently reasonable expectation in regard to democratic discourse. Let's try to remember that we're all part of the same community.)

Dear Robyn,
    First of all, I don't want this to develop into a tit-for-tat e-mail situation between us. I'd prefer to put it behind us and for this to be my last comment on the matter.
    Your original e-mail did, in fact, state that " . . . it will be my recommendation that Trannyweb not endorse or publicize your campaign any further." I have never asked for endorsement, only coverage. One of the aspects of this situation which puzzles me is that you knew about my stances in regard to these issues before you yourself wrote a piece about my campaign. If coverage or endorsement (either one) was contingent upon my views, why did you not ask me to pass some sort of political litmus test before participating yourself in coverage of my campaign on Trannyweb? In any event, yes, all I'm asking for is continued coverage as it has been granted in the past. If you (or any other writer) choose to trash me in "Trib" coverage because of my views, bring it on; I'm used to it.
    I was not aware of your exact status vis a vis the "Trib." I only began coming to you regarding "Trib" coverage of my campaign because I was asked to do so by Katy before she became ill. You asked me not to bring this issue to her attention because of her condition and I concur with this view. However, you have me in a sort of "Catch 22" position. Since you were designated by her as my contact concerning this matter, it's a question of either dealing with you or bringing it to her. I won't bother her about this directly, but should she become aware of it second-hand, that's how it goes.
    It is not my intention to make this a divisive issue on the Trannyweb site with various members choosing sides. I simply feel that denying my campaign coverage in the "Trib" when it has been forthcoming in the past is patently unfair and reflects political bias. As stated above, my suggestion is that you provide coverage and then damn me to your heart's content. If you agree with this as a means of resolving this matter, please inform me when I may send you copy and the photographs of my Fourth of July campaign appearance in Wichita.
    With all due respect, I won't dignify your "trannier-than-thou" comments by a response except to say that it seems to me exceedingly presumptuous on your part to maintain that I do not have the best intersts of the community at heart. It may be that by trying to ram its leftist agenda down the throat of middle America the GLBT establishment is doing more damage to the community than all the rabid homophobes and trannyphobes in the nation combined.
    I look forward to hearing from you soon and sincerely hope that my proposed solution to this problem meets with your approval.
    Warm regards,
    Bennie Lee Ferguson
    • 773 posts
    July 13, 2007 5:46 AM BST
    My response:

This seems a plausible solution to me, as long as you accept that objective and integral journalism should contain both positive and negative. I propose an interview. What do you think about that?