increasing estrogen

• 134 posts
    August 21, 2008 8:38 AM BST
    read an interesting article yesterday, if you take high vitamin C while taking estrogens, they ( the estrogens) may be greatly increased in strength.
    This was from a contraceptive pill manufacturer as a warning to doctors monitoring women on the pill but will no doubt be of interest to some of us!
    off to buy a crate of OJ!

angel xx
    • 2 posts
    August 25, 2008 7:46 AM BST
    Thanks great to know, since I am taking hormones with Doctors guidance, and wanting the best results as possible I would like to add that strawberries have the highest amount of Vitamin C per Volume compared to other fruits. So I will be picking up a nice container full of strawberries..
  • August 25, 2008 11:14 PM BST
    I also saw the article.... It was a real caution to women about the effects of "C" on their hormones.

BTW: would chocolate covered strawberries count?

Unfortunately I would also have to do a diet at the same time..

Hgz,
    Michelle

• 134 posts
    August 26, 2008 10:05 AM BST
    I think if you are serious about trying this girls, they are talking about doses of 1000mg /day not a few extra strawberries!
    I have bought some 1000mg tabs that dissolve into an orange flavoured drink.
    Boots sell them quite cheaply
    Angel xx
    • 773 posts
    August 27, 2008 2:25 AM BST
    Chile peppers are very high in vitamin C, and we eat copious quantities of them in our daily diet. Our friends accept our dinner invitations with some trepidation, in fact, but we love 'em!
    • 134 posts
    August 28, 2008 3:34 PM BST
    Hi girls,
    I hear what you are saying! Im only quoting something I read not advising ya all to try it!
    I have to say tho, if, Im already popping pills (E2) then isnt it possible that by taking a vitC pill I could cut down on the E2?
    Maybe a synthetic vitC pill aint as good for you as 5 Kg of Gobi berries or whatever each day,but they have to be better than extra hormone tabs I would have thought?

Angel xx
    • 1912 posts
    August 29, 2008 1:56 AM BST
    I just don't understand any of this nonsense. You are trying to squeeze a teeny tiny more estrogen out of each stupid pill. Why don't you just buy a little more. Geez, estrogen tablets are dirt cheap no matter where you get them. In the U.S. you can get a one month supply of 6mg worth of estrogen just about anywhere for $10-$12. A month supply of 6mg from Inhouse is $45. So if you are already getting some estrogen, buying these crazy supplements isn't going to save you much money.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 134 posts
    August 29, 2008 1:39 PM BST
    Whao up girls!
    I think we are losing sight of what I said here! I never preached to you to use vitC.I merely quoted some of an article I found interesting that I thought might be of interest to some others!
    I would hardly call vit C a "crazy suppement" Marsha! Millions of people take vitamins every day.
    I know of many more people who might call US crazy for taking the stuff WE take!
    Im also not sure if it only makes a "teeny weeny" bit more E or quite a lot. I wouldnt have thought there would be any warnings if it made a only a tiny difference?
    Im not suggesting even it does work to use it to save money, my thoughts were merely that it might increase the potency of what I do take.
    maybe bio identical estradiol IS perfectly safe as Lucy tells us however I have tried it wouthout great success & now use Ethinyl Estradiol (with great results) but which is NOT renown for its safety! (It can cause blood clotting problems). So.. if I am able to get the same results with less EE then to me its a no brainer!

For example,If vit C worked with asprin & let you take one for a headache instead of 2 surely that would be good? (or any other drug) BTW there is NO suggestion it makes asprin more potent!

Angel x
    • 1912 posts
    August 29, 2008 4:57 PM BST
    Sorry Angel, I meant the "you" in general, not you specifically. And even I take vitamin supplements. I'm referring to taking mega doses to alter the effect of another medicine as being crazy.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1652 posts
    August 26, 2008 4:14 PM BST
    I’d be very wary about overdosing on Vitamin C to try and boost the effects of oestrogen. I’ve also heard warnings that as well as increasing the effects of some drugs it is just as likely to increase the unwanted side-effects of them.
    Personally I am a great believer in getting all one’s nutrients from food, maybe I’m just a bit of a hippie. I love my food, and I eat loads of fruit, so I avoid vitamin supplements. Also some vitamin tablets may contain phyto-oestrogens which bind to estrogen receptors and inhibit the effectiveness of the oestradiol that we are taking. Phyto-oestrogen occupied receptors can't be triggered by the thousands of times stronger oestradiol (each receptor has only one slot for one molecule of hormone).
    Grapefruit has been found to extend the half-life of oestradiol, the effective ingredient being a certain type of bio-flavonoid present in the inner peel and pulp of the grapefruit, but not other citrus fruits. This inhibits one of the reactions in the cytochrome p-450 steroid metabolism pathway which de-activates oestrogen. It’s also been suggested that grapefruit can inhibit enzymes created in the liver which can lead to clotting/DVT risks. Such risks though are EXTREMELY low (and possibly non-existent) from bio-identical oestradiol.
    A glass of grapefruit juice or two is unlikely to do you any harm, chucking yet more tablets down your throat, well it’s not for me.
    Strawberries – I love ‘em, I even grow them myself, hundreds of them. But they’re not the most vitamin C rich fruit, I know I’m being pedantic, but not by a long way. Actually I have a list of vitamin C contents in fruit (I’m such a geek) and strawbs are 22nd on the list, just above oranges, which are only slightly less rich in Vitamin C - 57 and 53mg per 100gr of fruit respectively. Rosehips contain up to 2500mg (over 40 times more!) but don’t go eating them straight off the bush, the furry seeds won’t do you any good at all. Blackcurrants, tropical guava, kiwi fruit, lychee, redcurrants, persimmon and papaya are all higher in C than strawbs, as are several other fruits which you probably will never have heard of. Give me that lot on plate over a laboratory-created tablet any day.
    If I wanted to increase the effects of oestrogen though, I’d just take more oestrogen.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    August 29, 2008 12:47 AM BST
    Estradiol is good for you. So is vitamin C. I personally don’t believe more C would mean you will need less E.
    Forget about substitutes for estradiol, go bio-identical (it is also made from plants, so there’s no reason to think that “herbals” are any safer), eat well, and take the dose that is right for you.
    Believe the following statement:
    “The only way to truly impact hormone levels is to take hormones.”
    Soy is not a hormone, nor is liquorice, black cohosh or kwao quack krap.
    Reports which tell us hormones are potentially risky are based on old studies conducted using Premarin and Provera, which should be avoided. They are not bio-identical, and are no longer the only choice of hormone available.
    Human oestrogen is what causes women to feminise, estradiol is the strongest of the 3 types of oestrogen. The term bio-identical means it is identical to human oestrogen. It’s not dangerous, it does exactly what it says on the tin:
    E S T R A D I O L
    Half the planet can’t be wrong.
    xx