Coming out to my mom

• 27 posts
    October 2, 2003 11:45 PM BST
    Hello all,
    Well yesterday I finally did something that I had been wanting to do for a while. It did not go quite as planned but the results were good. I invited my mother to go out to lunch with me. This didn't work and see imediatley started questioning me about every thing. Well, I naturauly put up my defenses and winded up not telling her anything. Well, I got all upset about it and eventuly came over here house about 8pm after talking with her about noon. I was all afraid of what she would would think but, when I told her she said that she already knew about it. Go figure, it seems I got my self all worked up over nothing.
    Anyway it went well and she even offered to help me finacaly with Srs etc..

Hugs,
    Amanda
    • 539 posts
    October 10, 2003 1:40 AM BST
    When I told my mother about a year and a half ago, it was scary, but it went very well. She was supportive then and she remains supportive. I am always glad to hear about similar cases.

Heather H.

• 195 posts
    October 11, 2003 8:51 AM BST
    I told my mum a few months before she died. Apart from my partners she was one of the first people I had ever told and I only did it because I thought she knew - there had been a couple of occasions when I had nearly been caught when I was much younger and I thought she had figured it out and chosen not to speak to me about it.

She had no idea. She was getting quite ill at the time and it was clear that she was dying and when she didn't really persue the conversation I dropped it and never said another word.

About 2 years later after she had gone, I decided to come out totally and tell all the family so one at a time I visited my sisters and told them - But they both knew - My mother had told them. You never know do you. Despite her illness this had really sunk in and concerned her enough that she sought help in understanding what was happening - but was never able to speak to me about it, so in some ways I'm glad I didn't come out fully before she went. My sisters have no problem with my gender change, my brother on the other hand no longer wants to have anything to do with me - his loss.
  • October 15, 2003 3:01 PM BST
    Hi Rikki,
    Yeah isn't life funny. I think it's probably easier for a female to accept somebody's "change" than it is for a male. We all know that males are not at ease with their emotions.

Anyway I told my twin brother that I was TV. He thinks that I'm gay and that I like dressing up. Anyway it is a hUGE burden off my shoulders.
    Funny ehough, just last night I got home from work (working late again). It was my mother on the mobile with a DVD problem. So she asks what I'm doing. I reply that I'm cleaning up the house. "I may as well have curlers in my hair and fluffy slippers on my feet" I said. She follows with, "And have you got your nightie on?", No, I said its hanging up in the cupboard but I'll put in on for bed.
    Well, after a chuckle and ending the conversation, AGAIN, I really felt great that I don't have to "hide" from anyone anymore.
    That's my tale.
    Love
    Meagan
    • 27 posts
    October 24, 2003 12:28 PM BST
    Hi girls,
    My mother doesn't understand what it means to be a tranny and I am having a hard time trying to explain it to her. I was wondering if anyone new of a book or something I could give her to read that would help me out. I think if she understood a little more about us it would improve our relationship. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,

Amanda
    • 539 posts
    October 24, 2003 9:09 PM BST
    Here is one suggestion:

Brown, Mildred L. & Chloe Ann Rounsley. "True Selves". San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1996.

This book gives a good description of what we are like and what we go through. It is readily available on sites such as amazon.com.

Good luck.

Heather H.
    • 27 posts
    October 29, 2003 4:03 PM GMT
    Thanks Heather

Amanda
  • October 2, 2003 11:49 PM BST
    That's great news!

When I told my mom earlier this year, things went exactly as planned, but it wasn't any easier for me. It's always difficult to tell someone.