help? with a big issue in make-up.....

• January 8, 2008 9:20 AM GMT

Ok here's my thing.....5 o'clock shadows..I am having a time to keep this at bay some days its there other days its not there..I have concealers and whatnot that work but dang the hair grows back uber fast on one of those bad days..I am guessing hormones will stop this nonsense but until I actually get on them any advice will be appreciated.

• 27 posts
    January 8, 2008 8:21 PM GMT
    4) It does not make your hands and feet smaller

I'm not sure this one is entirely accurate. Hormones will have an effect on muscles, which may (or may not) reduce the overall size of nearly any muscle group in your body. This won't shrink your feet from a size 12 to a size 5, but a drop of 1 size due to a decrease in muscle mass or muscle relaxation is entirely possible.

-Sarah
  • January 10, 2008 3:34 AM GMT
    Yeah I have considered the time and the financial issues that come with all this. All that has bee thought through and planned out roughly in my head lol...I'm just taking it one step at a time that's all..The hair isn't like thick there unless i let it go but it is dark..I will most likely look into laser removal as soon as I get abit more stabilized here in this city ..I only been here a month lol so I don't know where stuff is exactaly..Though i have found the local MTF therapist and she really wants to meet up with me and get things started onwards. I meet with her Thursday (01-10-08) at 8:30AM Mountain Time USA.. --->Excited beyond reason here-
    • 65 posts
    January 16, 2008 4:43 PM GMT
    Hi Sarah
    Well hormones made my feet smaller from a size 9 to a size 7 .So that proves it can make a differance.
    Hugs Mandy xxx
    • 2627 posts
    January 8, 2008 12:14 PM GMT
    Bad news Peony, hormones will do nothing about facial hair.
    You'll find many threads here on this. Just look them up & good luck girl.
    • 2017 posts
    January 8, 2008 1:02 PM GMT
    Peony, I used to have 5 o'clock shadow that made Indiana Jones look clean shaven! There are some solutions to this problem though. In the long term you need laser, electrolysis or epilation to remove/reduce the amount of hair growth, permanently. And if laser worked for me with the growth I used to get, it can work for anyone. In the short term, Dermablend is an excellent product that is used to cover scars, birthmarks, tatoos etc and works pretty well with shadow too. It is pricey but it lasts forever since you only need a tiny amount on each application.

Nikki
    • 1980 posts
    January 9, 2008 12:14 AM GMT
    Hi Peony-

One of my favorite foundation type coverups is Colortration. Here's their website http://www.colortration.com/ . If you send them $15 they will send you an assortment of six samples in different shades (you get to choose, of course) which you can also blend to customize for your skin tone. It works really well and a little goes a long way. The product itself is kind of spendy at $32 for a little bottle but you can stretch it by blending it with other concealers or foundations. And as I have said in other posts where I mention this product, for some reason I find the girl on their website absolutely intriguing and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the expression on her face or something.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2017 posts
    January 9, 2008 2:15 PM GMT
    Sarah, since starting my laser I don't use dermablend anymore and use the three stage method you describe which I feel works very well. I use all Max Factor products which stay on for ages and start with a good foundation stick, then the liquid, then the setting powder. I recommend this method but it didn't work very well for me until I began laser, my shadow was just much too bad.

Nikki
    • 2573 posts
    January 11, 2008 12:08 AM GMT
    Sean,

Why IS the rum always gone??
    • 1652 posts
    January 11, 2008 6:10 PM GMT
    Eeuww, I may never drink rum again, not that I ever do…
    I am a great lover of Madeira (fortified wine) though, having been 3 times to the Island where it is made, and this reminds me of the true story of George, Duke of Clarence, who was sentenced to death for treason. Being of royal blood he was allowed to choose the method of his own execution, so, also being a lover of the said wine he chose to be drowned in a vat of Madeira. One has to be dubious about the part of the story which says he had to get out three times to go to the toilet…
    xx
    • 2017 posts
    January 11, 2008 8:46 PM GMT
    My grandfather drowned when he fell into a vat of whiskey. His co-workers tried several times to pull him free but he fought them off bravely........

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    February 24, 2008 3:43 AM GMT
    Hi,

Just wanted to jump in and comment on Sean's endorsement of Kevyn Aucoin's books.

My sister has a couple and they are truly amazing. To say that I've 'read' them would be misleading. More accurate would be to say that I've viewed them and looked at some of the most incredible transformational facial art you can get. Kevyn was certainly at the very top of his trade. An amazing make-up artist with such a passion for his work.

Although I don't know too much about him, I do know that his untimely passing robbed us of a truly gifted artist who may well have extended the frontiers of his work even further had he lived longer.

Whilst we can all see make-up as an acquired skill [I'm yet to acquire it! lol] Kevyn really did take it to a high art form. He was truly gifted.

Thanks for broaching the subject, I had'nt realised there was a website for him.

Much love

Rae xx