Is hate as invaluable an emotion as love?

• 448 posts
    March 31, 2008 1:21 PM BST
    Which one impels society? Which one makes us strive to achieve. Do we desire success enough or dread failure more. Do we spend our lives running away from fear or have we embraced hope? Just how much of our past, our emotional baggage, is poisoned by hate, and disgust., and disappointment. Is that why we desire love so much? And is that all it is - a desire? Do we delude ourselves that we have found love because the need for it is so great., given all the hate in our lives. And could the one really exist without the other?
    • 734 posts
    March 31, 2008 11:15 PM BST
    Hey Porscha!

You seem to have the most remarkable knack of sewing together a whole host of swinging statements and embroidering them into a question!

I'll do my best to answer and I'm sure all will appreciate this is just my perspective.

For me, the thread title itself is completely invalidated. I don't believe hate has any value whatsoever. Those who hold, feel and radiate hate are only portraying their own negative iniquities. Hate is worthless. Love, however, is beyond measure and beyond value. Love always wins in the end. I think this paragraph also covers the first two question!

I have no desire for success. If success comes, in the sense I suspect you mean it, then it is something I could only recognise with hindsight. There is never a need to fear failure! Show me someone who has'nt failed in one way or another and you also show me someone who has missed an opportunity to learn.

Nothing in my past is tainted by hate or disgust. Why should it be? That does'nt mean to say I have had an unblemished history, nothing could be further from the truth, but I hold no hate, only pity. And there are no disappointments, only opportunities to review, learn and progress.

I never take notice of whether I 'desire' love or why. I simply acknowledge that I hold a lot of love in my heart and I do my best to pass that love to all. And if you feel you have found love - be it in a relationship or a friendship - why would you even consider yourself deluded? Enjoy the love of your friends.

Whilst all this is jolly nice, the place we all have to start is the beginning. We need to learn to love ourselves, once that task is done we will then know how to love others.

Love will always exist. And it can exist successfully on its own. Hate is not the 'opposite side of the same coin', its a manmade negative and destructive emotion that, simply put, you can get rid of quite easily from your life.

So much love.

Rae xx