My boss makes mistakes

• May 27, 2005 7:38 AM BST
    Yesterday I had a meeting with my female boss, just her and me. We discussed about the competition proposals and during the conversation she called me spontaneously twice with my old male name. The first time she corrected herself, the second time she didn´t bother. I was just as if I hadn´t heard anything. It is funny, as our boss she is quite new, she knows me about one year as a man and now one and half years as a woman. She has not made mistakes before, so why now? Is she getting old (she is my age)? Or is this a meant provocation? I was in a skirt, not quite mini, and a sparse top without a bra, with my shoulder long hair free, certainly not looking like a man.
    I guess this kind of spontaneous mistakes pop out normally later on after the change. Right after the change people are more aware and careful, later on things normalize and people are more relaxed...and then it happens. But as I said, I´m not going to be mad about this.

Laura
  • May 27, 2005 10:15 AM BST
    I chose my new name deliberately so close to my old name (Lauri > Laura) that I can hear it (with some good will) always right.
    And I feel, as Gloria, already above it. Who cares, it is a minor thing.

Laura
  • May 28, 2005 9:25 AM BST
    One thought came into my mind...

My boss may have some problems with herself. She came into the house long after me...actually I was also applicant to the position she finally got. The other day I told her I´m going to visit an info about retirement matters. She said: "You about retirement? Why? You are far from that." I said: "Kristiina, we are children of the same year, you were born in the spring , I in the autumn". She was shocked; "No way, it cannot be...you are my age?". She had considered me MUCH younger...as everybody else.
    Normally people classify me 20 years younger than I am. The other thing is, I´m much more feminine than her. She might be JEALOUS. Simply. And call me with my old name in order to "put me in my place".

Laura