Coming out successes and transition plan. :-)

• 62 posts
    April 24, 2008 5:42 PM BST
    Hey all. Great things have happened in the last few days.

I'll start off with the coming out successes.
    1) I came out to a couple other friends, most of whom I expected to accept me, and it went well.
    2) I came out to the roommate I want to move in with in August. He was perfectly fine with it.
    3) I came out to the 2 roommates I'm living with now. They were the same.
    They all accepted me for who I am and said that this doesn't change who I am. Which is what is true!They would ask when I knew and all and stuff like that, but just curiosity of course.
    4) I came out to my parents yesterday evening. They had the same reaction everyone else had. They didn't really sound too shocked, but said they love me for me and accept me and would support me in anything. So that went really well. Sure it will take some getting used to, but they were proud of me for coming out and dealing with this myself and for all the research and caution I'm doing/taking.

And now onto the "plan" section of this post.
    So I had another session with my therapist on Tuesday and we talked about various things, one dealing with when I should transition. I was originally thinking after my next (and last) year of college. But knowing my feelings I don't know if I could survive "hiding" for another year. She proposed using this last year of college as my practice grounds to get acclamated to my new lifestyle and my voice, etc. It sounds like a great idea. So I will probably be seeking one of the hormone doctors she suggested to discuss hormones for the near future. I should be visiting with the voice therapist she suggested as well fairly soon. She gave me my presentation letter and we then discussed somethings that would need to happen when I transition. Such things as name changing via driver's liscense (and even gender marker since you can do it pre-op if you have a good attourney and judge), changing name via school/older documents/banks/etc. She explained briefly how some of those processes work.

I apologize for the lack of organization in that last paragraph. But that is it in a (rather big) nutshell.

The tentative plan is to start moving towards transition over the summer and begin living full time in August or so. I'm so happy to have taken this step! Especially since everyone I have talked to fully supports me and accepts me. They all say they're here for me if I ever need anything at all. Its great!!

Hope you all are having wonderful days as well! I send you all my love!

<3 Angelyn
  • April 24, 2008 6:05 PM BST
    HI Angelyn,
    1st of all congratz!!! I hope everything continues to go well for you. One thought - Have you also connected with a local support group? TW here is great, but it is also very helpful to connect with a local support group that can help you navigate the issues that may come up as you start living full time. Also when you finish college, do you want your degree in Angelyn's name? Just a thought.

Hugz from a sister in transition as well,

Michelle Lynn
    • 62 posts
    April 24, 2008 6:53 PM BST
    Thanks, Briana and Michelle!

Yes, I have been in contact with some groups. Its just that I found out about their meetings rather recently and I couldn't attend them due to work. But in the future I'll be able to ask off and attend.

I found a GLBT organization at my university, my therapist runs a support group or two, and theres one or two groups that meet 2-5 times a month in Dallas/Fort Worth (about 45 mins from where I live). So those are all groups I will be investigating and hopefully attending soon.

As for graduating as Angelyn, yes thats a definite plan. I'll hopefully be changing my name on my driver's liscense, bank accounts, past documents, school ID and all before I start my next semester of school, so I should be able to graduate with Angelyn on the diploma. But good point, Michelle!

Take care.

<3 Angelyn
    • 871 posts
    April 25, 2008 1:19 PM BST
    Faboes! Angelyn - I wish you continuing success! xxxx
  • a a
    • 96 posts
    April 25, 2008 5:14 PM BST
    Hi Angelyn, I`m glad everything is going great for you and that you got the response you wanted from your loved ones.I`ve had a very simular week to you,if you read my blogg.It`s a great feeling inside when people accept you for who you really are. I hope everything continues to go well for you.

Hugs and kisses Michellexxxxxx
    • 62 posts
    April 25, 2008 8:16 PM BST
    Thanks so much for the comments, Rae, Ani and Michelle! It means a lot, it really does.

I'm glad that you had a good week too, Michelle. I didn't know about your blog, though. Glad things are going well!

<3 Angelyn
  • June 24, 2008 11:38 PM BST
    congratulations hun... hope it all goes well for you
    • 16 posts
    July 11, 2008 3:44 PM BST
    Congrads on you starting your transision.

Not sure if you have checked out the DFW Tri-Ess chapter or not. If not, you can PM or email me, as I am a member.

• 734 posts
    April 24, 2008 10:41 PM BST
    Hi Angelyn,

It was so nice to read your thread and I'm very pleased you've got off to such a strong and positive start! Long may it continue.

Much love and best wishes for the future.

Rae xx