The not so nice task

• September 8, 2005 2:03 PM BST
    Today I guided a group of architets and city planners around in the residental area I had designed in 1996 as a man. I hadn´t refused when a female collegue called me and asked me to do it. It felt "a not very nice task" but it had to be done because I don´t want to isolate myself among collegues. One half of the group knew me either as a man or a woman or both. Even the rest, I guess has heard my story as a gossip, but not yet seen me. Everything seemed to run just fine, to my surprise, a few female collegues who knew me so far only as a man came close to me to chat with me. they were very friendly and I could feel their message: "welcome to our side of the fence".
    Now the ice is broken...and that is a relief.
    On my way back to the office a somewhat drunk guy looked at me and said: "Gee, you are a beautiful lady". My say was saved .

Laura
  • September 8, 2005 2:05 PM BST
    My DAY was saved.

Laura
  • September 8, 2005 7:41 PM BST
    Hi Laura,

As Joni said - THANKS!!!!!!

Your sharing of your life events really is valuable. Those of us considering a transition
    have many questions and fears. It is truly wonderful to hear how you are handling your post-transition life. Thank you for continuing to share your life with us.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 588 posts
    September 8, 2005 10:40 PM BST
    Stories like this certainly are encouraging, Laura - strengthens my belief in some small experiences I've had too.

Linda
  • September 9, 2005 6:41 AM BST
    Hi girls

I will gladly share with you my new experiences which have something to do with my ts-past. What I´m not going to write about is my normal everyday life or my transition stages, which I guess I have repeated already too many times.

Laura
  • September 9, 2005 8:12 AM BST
    You might be right Tiina

It would point out the most common fears about transition and follow the steps of the transition, the medical, psychological and social sectors and the survival strategies through it all and have a feedback if fears had a real reason or not. This kind of book would help those in the beginning of their journey in planning their procedure in advance, with a time table and a budget.
    Personally I´m convinced that well planned is half done.

Laura
    • 1980 posts
    September 8, 2005 4:36 PM BST
    Laura, thank you so much for sharing that, I think it's the kind of personal story that gives all of us, no matter where we are on our journey, some inspiration and the feeling that it can be done. Perhaps I haven't said this as often as I should but I'm so glad you're here and that you've chosen to remain a part of TW. Thanks.

Hugs...Joni
    • 1652 posts
    September 9, 2005 12:08 AM BST
    That’s lovely to hear. Although I have quite a way to go before SRS and I’m not working at the moment I too have had positive reactions from friends, acquaintances and ex-colleagues. They’re not just being polite, they really do care. Strangers too, whether young, old, drunk or sober, have all, so far, been more than pleasant. It’s kind of reassuring; I think this is one of our biggest fears when we take our first tentative steps into the big world wide as the woman that we really are, how will people react?
    I needn’t have worried!
    xx