Leftover Male Traits

• October 2, 2005 1:16 PM BST
    Beyond the obvious like dress and appearance, there are very subtle differences in the way men and women react in similar situations e.g. when a considerate driver gives way to you, men would wave 'thank you' while women tend to smile back.

I made some boo-boos when i was transitioning, and i think that i am not the only one, like standing up when another woman walks into the room (silly girl that i am). As a female, I should just sit tight with my legs crossed, look up and dart a quick glance to suss up the competition -- lol. I wonder if any of you girls have similar experiences to share.
    • 773 posts
    October 2, 2005 2:41 PM BST
    I have always been of a contrary and contentious nature, to the extent that in my male persona, I acquired a wide reputation as such.

I find that as I pursue the process of transition, I am more aware of these traits, and make a conscious effort to suppress them. Most unladylike, indeed is my argumentative nature and I do find myself growing more tolerant. As I progress in my journey, I find the suppression of my unpleasant male traits becoming effortless, but they can still sometimes be quite useful.

But at the same time, let us not forget that this possession of both masculine and feminine characteristics may really be the essence of what it is to be trans. It could be that this is what gives us the unique perspective on what it is, in fact, to be human, and makes us so special.

Of course, as always, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    • 588 posts
    October 2, 2005 5:31 PM BST
    Thanks for asking, Jennifer. This is just starting to become an issue for me. Hands waving.. yes, a womans light waving could be read as more than gratefulness, couldn't it ? The smile too, by the way.

And as you're saying, Sandra, there seems to be a naturalness about this. For me it feels as if I have, somehow, held back on my movements. Wel, I know I have... So, it's also a question of allowing suppressed traits to resurface. And this would happen naturally when we feel safe and accepted as women.
    Somehow this process must affect our whole nervous system...

As for contrariness, contentiousness, argumentativeness, and well, you name it, we does seem to have something in common, Robyn. And I'd say the same as you: Very useful at times. So, I have no wish to leave all of it behind (as if that was at all possible..) But, a bit less maybe.. can do fine.

Linda
    • 773 posts
    October 2, 2005 8:01 PM BST
    Linda, I find your sometimes argumentative nature to be one of your more endearing traits, and one of the things that makes me glad that I know you. It contributes greatly to the spirited exchange of ideas here in the forums, and keeps things interesting, so don't go changing to try to please us.

As always, blah blah blah....you know the rest
    • 588 posts
    October 2, 2005 8:47 PM BST
    Thank you, Robyn. Endearing... hmm.. a first time for everything..
    Seems there isn't much chance of really changing that trait anyway. So, I guess I might just as well relax and go for perfecting my act...

Linda
    xxx
    • 588 posts
    October 2, 2005 9:03 PM BST
    My quite so natural act, of course.

L
    xx
  • October 3, 2005 12:37 AM BST
    I think an argumentative nature is a gender-neutral trait. I know a couple of middle-aged women back home who argue endlessly and drives me dizzy.
  • October 3, 2005 12:38 AM BST
    I think an argumentative nature is a gender-neutral trait. I know a couple of middle-aged women back home who argue endlessly and drives me dizzy.
    • 588 posts
    October 3, 2005 1:29 AM BST
    You may be right. And they may have perfected their act.