want to help me out??

• May 13, 2008 6:36 AM BST
    hey everyone!
    my name is Emily, I'm 19 and in college studying psychology.
    I'd love to go into transgender studies to become a therapist who specializes in that area. (you know, to help out transgender people who are looking to have operations).
    Currently, I'm doing some research involving online communities
    and it'd be great to chat with some people on here.
    I just want to know about everyday issues and challenges you face
    so I can better understand the transgender community.
    any help is greatly appreciated!
    thanks!

~Emily~
    • 22 posts
    May 13, 2008 10:34 AM BST
    Hi Emily! One of the girls in my TG support/therapy group is pursuing the same goal. She graduates from the University of Texas next week! (b.a. in social work). She will continue her studies in social work at the same school seeking a Master of Social Work degree. Ultimately she plans to attain a doctorate in the field at the University of Michigan - where they have a program in transgendered studies unrivalled anywhere else in the U.S.A. she claims. I feel she is most likely correct in that assessment; she prides herself in being up-to-date in all aspects of transgendered issues... social, legal, educational, political, etc. I hope this helps!

amanda lavender
    • 1083 posts
    May 13, 2008 7:33 PM BST
    Hi, Emily--

I'm also glad to help out, in any way I can.

I run the risk of irritating people, but please take a moment to check out my Tranny Psych 101 section. It's on my website (www.sakuramina.com) and can be accessed by clicking here. (You can read more stuff while you're there as well--but promise me you'll come back here when you're done!)

Love, hugs, and well wishes in your studies--

Dr. Minako Sakura
    • 259 posts
    May 14, 2008 5:32 AM BST
    Hi Emily. You can ask me questoins. I can give you my GG viewpoint since I am currently dating a TG and personally know some of thier conflicts firsthand.
  • May 14, 2008 7:21 AM BST
    hey dr. minako,
    wow your site is really neat...
    i havent learned about that equation/graph...
    also, we discussed in class about being both genders
    i could be wrong, but is that also considered "gender queer"? or is that neither? this is a confusing realm of psychology, but one day we'll hopefully get it straightened out [no pun intended, really...]
    thank you for your input~
    -Emily-
    • 1083 posts
    May 14, 2008 6:58 PM BST
    Emily--

**blushes**

Thank you for the complement--although Katie has done a fantastic job here!

The graph (to me) is a better way to figure out where one is on the gender scale than just a flat line. Because gender is fluid, not static, a graph better represents where a person is in terms of gender.

A person being both genders...I hadn't considered gender queer per se; it's a possibility that I may need to examine further. I had considered that more androgyne... perhaps as you work through your studies, we can work together and get something that is not only more accurate for the Trans community, but is more indicative of real life.

That would be a huge help to us all!

Luv 'n hugs,

Dr. Mina
  • May 18, 2008 11:01 PM BST
    Hi Emily...

Well if you didn't already know... the TG community is a very helpful crowd

I am a CD and not going for SRS. I am married and find it an interesting balance keeping my inner self and my outer appearance in sync.

If I can be of any help in your studies, please feel free to email. I am a professor by day and thus I am used to students and questions

Direct email is [email protected]
    • 773 posts
    May 19, 2008 4:47 AM BST
    Hi, Emily. I am also a longtime Trannyweb participant. Additionally, I currently serve on the Board of Directors of the International Foundation for Gender Education. Last year, I presented a seminar at the IFGE conference on the topic of the internet's role in developing the trans community.

You probably would benefit greatly by learning more about the people who fall under the gender variant umbrella, so you might want to check out the IFGE bookstore. We feature lots of titles covering all aspects of the transgender phenomenon. You may find some of them useful:

http://www.ifge.org/catal[...]9ae5da1
    • 2017 posts
    May 13, 2008 1:06 PM BST
    Hi Emily, if there is anything I can do to help you feel free to ask. I'm happy to discuss any of the relevant issues and topics that affect us. PM me if you want to chat live or via email.

Nikki
    • 1980 posts
    May 13, 2008 2:15 PM BST
    Hi Emily-

Sure thing. I'm with Nikki, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. Personally I feel the more factual things people know about transgenderism, the better. Best of luck in your studies.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2573 posts
    May 16, 2008 4:00 PM BST
    Emily,
    I am coming up on my 4th Anniversary at TW. I have studied Brain Sex and Gender for far longer. Ultimately, I made the same decision that you have, to become a Gender Therapist (or as I prefer to call it, a Gender Guide).

I can tell you that the BEST way to understand Transgender/Transsexual issues and people is to learn most of it on the Internet. There you will see differing interpretations. Many disagree with others, usually on minor ponts but sometimes in what they believe the causes are. The best education, however, can be found right here at TW. Here you can immerse yourself in a community where you will find people from all along the Transgender spectrum. I consider myself fairly inter-gendered, with definite male and female parts. You will encounter psychological, biological, traditional and spiritual interpretations of our selves. Here we discuss issues as varied as religious beliefs, what we call ourselves and even whether transsexual should have one or two S's in it.

But don't limit yourself to the Forums. Come into the chat rooms often and get to know People in our community as they talk about their interests and everyday problems. Some of us are in deep in the back of the closet. Some of us are marching en femme in Washington, DC for political change Some of us are guys getting sexual satisfaction from brief periods of dressing. Some of us never felt comfortable dressed en homme and have thrown out our entire male wardrobe. Some of us don't care why we are what we are. Some of us want to know every tick of the brain that made us what we are. Some of us came here seeking knowledge and understanding of ourselves. Most of us stay for the Community and acceptance and ultimately friendships. You will find we are as varied as any group of people.The only real way to understand us and what WE need, not what the books say we need, is to know us.

I have found one other thing here. I found the understanding and confidence to know that I am finally aware of what the books will never teach me about helping my brothers and sisters. It will make you a far, far better gender therapist than you could be without it. By the time you get your license you will already be ready to work with the TG/TS community and will only need to sharpen your therapist skills....IF you have the talent. Psychotherapy is also an art. They can teach you to "paint by numbers" but the best therapists can work without lines on the canvas. They FEEL; they have an instinct; they are not mechanical. I know I will have to be a better gender therapist because I will go into a room and see a person, not a diagnosis. I've already had it happen a number of times when the staff was at a loss to interact with a TS patient. I was able to walk in and help the woman I saw instead of the "man in a dress" that they saw or to help the man I saw instead of the "butch dyke" that they saw.

I recommend reading a Thomas Szasz book, like THE MYTH OF MENTAL ILLNESS and maybe IDEOLOGY AND INSANITY, early in your education. The first book changed my entire professional career in the psych field. Sometimes it is better when the client does not have a label.

For a very nice introduction to terminology (words that mean a different thing to any two people in our Community) and categories of people, check out http://reneereyes.com. Just remember that you will meet many people who don't fit into a nice box. The reason is that we are not M or F. We are not even one spectrum (although it's a useful tool). We are individuals, each with many spectrums or on-off switches and we don't fit stereotypes.

Stay and learn. Meet us and make friends. You won't be able to be a bad gender therapist if you can do that.

And a warm welcome to the Sorority and growing Fraternity and our Friends at TW.
  • May 18, 2008 8:26 AM BST
    Hi Emily

to make a start in your dream of becoming a therapist in the 'TG' field it would help if you had a basic idea of all the people lurking under the TG umbrella and how few of them actually want 'operations' - its really only transsexuals who want operations.

have a read of www.mtftransition.com which will tell you exactly what is what.