Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 19, 2008 4:15 PM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

In the UK, The Hay Festival commences this week. This is a literary Woodstock (well not quite...) where authors and publishers trade words of wisdom, the occasional insult and clever hints about how to stop the pouring rain leaking into temporary marquees.

I have recently been reading some Transgender Fiction. There, I admit it. I am confident that this writing is not in the same league as that on offer at Hay and probably is best not to be read out load to a middle-class gathering in a Welsh Field. But neverthless it's got me thinking. Primarily, what a lot of tosh is it.

So, I'd welcome any recommendations of good (very broad definition I know) Transgender Fiction. But more importantly, I'd welcome even more, your recommendations of the best of women's writing. No Mills & Boon or Barbara Cartland romantic novels please, unless they are essential for your bookcase.

Rachel

Always a woman but never a girl

• May 20, 2008 12:03 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Rachel,

Never quite made it to Hay, but always wanted to!

I have a real love for the cheap 'n' easy thriller. A quick scan of my bookcase for women writers with good protaganists yields the following couple:

Running Scared by Ann Granger
      The Shakespeare Secret by Jennifer Lee Carroll

Also some Val McDermid, depending on your taste - her Kate Brannigan novels are good for me. Also - not female, but a damned good author - anything by Jeffrey Deaver, his novels are always great and I've not found an author who can write short stories like he does. As he says himself, in a novel you have a sort of contract with the reader to supply certain things, with a short story all bets are off!

I enjoyed them but I do admit I view my reading as the literary version of daytime telly - I want to relax, switch off and get lost in the pages without necessarily engaging my brain too much...!

Much love

Rae xx

ps I was going to comment that I thought more people would have given their suggestions, that led me to think about a Bill Hicks commentary where he touches on books - well worth looking up on YouTube, I think under the heading 'waffle house' or very similar - and absolutely nothing to do with this thread, just a random thought connection! R x
    • October 3, 2018 1:48 PM BST
    • Untitled title

Yes, face to face learning is better than online learning. On screen we have very short view and some thing cannot be explained there easily as compared to https://topamericanwriters.com/bestdissertation-com-review/ open environment. There may be some other problems like sound, visual or student may not feel easiness on the media.

• October 5, 2018 2:06 PM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Untitled title

Try any of Agatha Christie's books. They are all very good. Enjoy!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit posts
    You don't have permission to delete posts
    You don't have permission to approve new posts
    You don't have permission to make a thread sticky
    You don't have permission to close a thread
    You don't have permission to move a thread

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel