Law-suit against T/G Driving Instructor.

• 315 posts
    May 22, 2008 9:11 AM BST

Hi Girls,

I picked-up this story in yesterday's papers, but didn't get a chance to bring it to your attention until now ................. we all have to work sometimes !!!

A T/G driving instructor has been threatened with legal action by a Muslim husband, who wants his wife to be taught by a "real woman" !!
    The man claimed that All-Woman Driving School had sent Transsexual Emma Sheridan deliberately, to wind him up because of his religion.
    Emma explained that she was now legally a woman, having a Birth Certificate in her female identity, and a Gender Recognition Certifcate, but that failed to stop the husband's "tirade", and he has threatened to sue the firm for Racism!
    The Driving School owner said, "He said 'You've sent me a man. Send me a proper female. How dare you send me a man, with a deep voice!" He then claimed that we had sent him a man diguised as a woman, because he was a Muslim".
    Many Muslims believe that an unmarried woman should not be left alone with a man, unless it is his intention to marry her. If a woman is married, many followers of the Faith insist their wives must never be left alone in the company of a man who is not her husband.
    The company owner said that Emma is a popular and respected instructor, who has not had any problems about "her past" with any of her many pupils,
    "That man accused us of being racist, yet his attitude towards Emma showed prejudice of the very worst kind", the owner said.
    Her driving school, which employs 20 female instructors, teaching women throughout South and West Yorkshire, says her all-female driving school is so popular that she actually has a waiting list of pupils wanting to learn to drive.
    She says, "We say each of our female instructors promise to be friendly, professional and patient. That's exactly what Emma is, and for her to be subjected to abuse and threats is simply intolerable!"

And they say that the "public" are becoming more tolerant of others !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Oh, in case you're worried about my naming Emma, she's perfectly "open" about her "identity", posing for photo's for the paper, etc.).

Thought this story would interest you.

Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    • 315 posts
    May 22, 2008 9:11 PM BST

Rae,

You surprise me that the Mail, of allpapers treated the story with sensitivity !
    Not something the Mail is renowned for, in stories of this nature!

I must say, for myself, that, when I came across this story, I was quite surprised that the paper (one of the Broadsheets), had even reported it.

As for your missing what the Sun did with their "reportage" of this .................... the mind boggles, just thinking what their headline might have been, never mind the actual tone of the "article" !! lol.

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 315 posts
    June 12, 2008 11:03 PM BST

Anna-Marie,

Great to hear that you've met Emma, and to hear that she is as genuine in her friendliness as I gathered from reading the original newspaper article.

Next time you speak to her, please pass on my best wishes, and tell her that she has such a large amount of support, both here, and on other sites that have discussed "her case".

hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 2017 posts
    May 22, 2008 9:25 AM BST
    I'm impressed that the company that employs her is standing behind her 100%.

I don't think Emma will let this issue bother her in the least.

Nikki
    • 1652 posts
    May 22, 2008 10:34 AM BST
    Bloody tosser...
    If it was my company and he tried to sue me for racism (eh?!) I would counter-sue him for gender discrimination.
    Since the woman in question is legally female complete with female birth certificate there is no case to answer, no leg to stand on for this loony, twisted by his extreme interpretation of his religion.
    xx
    • 734 posts
    May 22, 2008 8:42 PM BST
    Hi Angela,

I caught this story in the Daily Mail. I was really impressed in a number of area's.
    Firstly, the Mail, which is'nt really known for its acceptence and sensitivity reported the story factually and with understanding and care. I was seriously impressed!
    The employer did herself, her firm and Emma's co-workers a great service by totally supporting her in public and pointing out to all and sundry that Emma's a real girl, a real employee and good at her job.
    I had a real sense of a change in general attitude here. It gave me a lot of hope for the future and the growing acceptance of TG's. And in Yorkshire, where men are men and tea is sacrisanct! And the Mail! It would'nt be too unfair to observe that the average Mail reader see's Attila the Hun as a bit left of centre!
    All in all, a good news day.
    [Did'nt see The Sun's coverage though...]
    The only person to come out of it badly was the customer's husband, he just came across as a bad example of his faith.

Much love

Rae xx
    • 734 posts
    May 25, 2008 12:09 AM BST
    Hi Angela,

Sorry, somehow I missed your reply! I really was surprised by the Mail's coverage. As luck would have it, I still have wednesday's copy meandering around the place [yes, I know, I really need to tidy up more!].
    I've just re-read it and am still happy with the way the journalist wrote the piece. I've also found it in the Mail Online - word for word the same so here's a link:
    http:////http://www.mailo[...]TO=1490
    Interestingly its attracted 9 comments, so far, all of which are supportive ... guess we could add a few more

Much love
    Rae xx
    • 734 posts
    May 25, 2008 12:19 AM BST
    Oh, actually not quite word for word! Just popped back to make sure I'd managed to achieve the technologically advanced adding a clickable link...
    ... and noticed the online version has changed the headline from a tabloid grabbing 'You're no Lady!' [where the L is a picture of an L-plate, which I did'nt find offensive as it was a pun to fit the story and they immediately go on to explain she is mid-change] to a much much more PC [and unwieldly] 'Muslim man threatens to sue driving school for sending transexual instructor to teach his wife'. Accurate, agreed, but not quite as succinct. What is the Mail coming to?
    Much love
    Rae xx
    • 2068 posts
    May 25, 2008 1:22 AM BST
    the guy's just a fcuking bigoted tw@t. This IS the 21st century after all & not the dark ages ffs. Still, its good to see emma's employer backing her 100 %. She could actually sue this " person" for making such libellous comments & i hope she does.

Lol xxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
  • May 25, 2008 9:23 AM BST
    Less of the 'male speak' f****** bigoted tw@t' please you're trying to be a woman aren't you?

But the chances of Emma being able to do anything about the husbands transphobic HATE CRIME incident are zero because there is no way the police dare take any Muslim to task as it would open an awful stinking can of worms.

• 2358 posts
    May 25, 2008 7:39 PM BST
    I imagine a token gesture will be made to take the client to task, but as Rose knows from her own experiences, nothing seriously will be done, Placate the muslims is the by word on any subject like this.
    • 2068 posts
    June 12, 2008 10:42 PM BST
    Angela, i have actually met Emma in person( & have her on yahoo IM too). I have to say she comes across as a warm,friendly girl who would do anything to help peeps. She Definetly doesn't deserve crap like this from a small-minded bigot!!

Lol xxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie