Another Computer "Crash"" !!

• 315 posts
    June 22, 2008 9:21 PM BST

Hi All,

Gawd !!!!!
    Is there something "in the air" recently ??????????
    Mere has a major computer "crash", then a few others!!
    Now me !!!!!!!!!!!

For the past 5 days, I've been trying to get my lap-top back into "running order" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been able to Log-in to web-sites, but couldn't enter any, past the "Home Page" !!!!!!!!!!!!
    And my eMail file would come up, but no matter what I did, it showed "blank Page" all the time !!!!!!

Now, after 5 days of trying just about everything I could think of .................. OK , I am a bit of a "computer Virgin", so everything I do for the first time, I have to "read-up" how to do it ! ................... and, as of now, (but I don't know for how much longer!), as you can see, I appear to have things back up and running!

I use Windows Vista, and for the past while, Windows has been sending some fairly lengthy up-dates to me, and, after the last one, everything went haywire!! (not new for Vista, I know), but I lost many basic programs, including Adobe Flash, so couldn't get here even, to ask for your help!

I tried to re-download it again, but each time, everything just froze, and I eventually had to deliberately "crash" my lap-top. as the only way to switch off!!

So, after many attempts at getting things sorted, I've just finished a Systems Restore, and here I am !!!
    But, for how long???
    Is the next Windows up-date going to crash me again???

Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated, but, remember, I'm self taught, and don't understand "jargon" or any instructions that are explained at their most basic, idiot-proof level.

Glad to be back,
    Hugs,
    Angela. xx
    • 315 posts
    June 22, 2008 10:40 PM BST

Karen & Danique ..................

Thanks, I'll try turning off the Auto-updates (when I can) as. sice I posted, all hell broke loose again !!!!!!!!

About 3 minutes after the original post, my lap-top shut down to "install new up-dates !!!!!!!!
    After that, everything was back where we started again !!!!!!!!!!

So I'd to System Restore AGAIN !!
    Now, as I type this, it's downloading AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, in a few minutes time, it'll be "goodbye again" !!!!!!!!

Also, because I've gone back to "old" settings, I'm showing as "unprotected" but, when I bring up MacAfee to repair, it starts another major download, which also causes the Windows up-date to start again!!

I'll restore again in the morning ..................... I'm "peed-off" with it at the moment !! I've been at this on and off for 5 days now, and on this session since 5.30 tis evening, so I can't face anymore of it tonight !!!

Message has just come up ............. permission to shut down to install, so, G'night girls.

I'll try not to pull out TOO much of my hair !!!!
    There's not much left by now !!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks,
    Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    • 1912 posts
    June 23, 2008 1:29 AM BST
    Angela,
    I had a similar problem with XP when service pack 3 came out a short while back. It turns out if you have a computer that came with a CPU other than Intel (such as AMD), you had to make a special change to your registry. Of course nothing tells you this so after crashing my computer several times I stopped windows update. I basically stumbled across the fix and yes it did take care of it. The best thing to do is go to the microsoft.com site and search the knowledge base for a solution.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 315 posts
    June 24, 2008 7:35 AM BST

Marsha,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
    At present I'll try ANYTHING !!
    Still in "chaos" here!

To get here for these few minutes, I again had to "system restore"!

Don't know how long it;ll last!
    Probably off again in the next few minutes!

So, I'll be back sometime !!
    Just don't know when !!

Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    • 315 posts
    June 24, 2008 10:13 AM BST

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ............
    Well ...................................................
    I don't want to speak TOO SOON, but .........................

TOUCH WOOD !!!!!!!!!!!! ......................

After another 4 hours of trying to sort this Bl**dy laptop out, with a number of failures, (at present, anyway!), I seem to be up and running again !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????

After trying all your suggestions, and finding a Trouble Shooter site ( Error Repair Tool), things "appear" to be back to normal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK GAWD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, if I log off, and can't get back on again, then I'll just have wasted $78 for the Trouble-shoot & Repair Program !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hopefully not !!

But, if I don't get back here again later, you'll know what's happened !!!
    So, in a couple of hours time, I'll come back, and hopefully, post an "I'm still here" message.

Hope to talk to tou all again soon.

Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    • 315 posts
    June 24, 2008 12:53 PM BST

Ok, ........... So far so good !! .......................

I've just logged on the lap-top, and, since I'm talking to you, obviously, I made it here, without problems !!!!!!!

Except, my computer is showing "problems with your Protection", but starting MacAfee to fix them, it reported that the problem couldn't be fixed, due to "A Problem" !!!

But, the main hassle appears to have been sorted.........
    Now I'll try and fix the protection probs.

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 315 posts
    June 24, 2008 1:29 PM BST

OK...............................
    Being the pessimist I am, I don't want to speak too soon, but ............................

I've just had MacAfee do a Protection Scan again, and it required a Re-Boot to install, to repair my Protection Problems.
    After the previous experiences with this, I was "just a little" worried, to say the least, but I allowed it to go ahead!

Well, as you see, I'm still here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And, my lap-top is showing NO protection problems anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I hope that's it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At long last !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks girls for all your help!
    I really didn't know where to start or what to try !

Oh, By the way, Marsha, like you, my lap-top was supplied with AMD Sempron as opposed to Intel. So, maybe that was part of it !!

Thanks again,
    Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    • 1912 posts
    June 24, 2008 9:15 PM BST
    YAY

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 315 posts
    June 24, 2008 10:34 PM BST

Hi Girls,

Well ..................................
    I got back on-line again this evening, without any problems!

So, hopefully, this is the last time I have to post in this thread!!

Thanks girls for all your help/suggestions.

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 734 posts
    June 24, 2008 10:28 PM BST
    Hi Angela,

Hoping the gremlins have now moved on...

Much love

Rae xxx
    • 2627 posts
    June 22, 2008 10:06 PM BST
    First turn off auto-updates or reset it so you can select only the ones you want..