New Chick On The Block!! :D

• July 14, 2008 5:26 AM BST
    Hello, Ladies! I'll be going by Michelle now. For some reason, that name just fits me, and makes me feel good!!

Well, after a week of browsing the forums here, I just had to register. Y'all are some of the sweetest folks!! Anyways, I'm 44, live in the Greater Los Angeles area, and have a little story:

As almost all of you have been, I've been dreaming of being my true self since I was in 4th grade. I was in a Catholic school, and was sent to the supply room for something. I saw a girl's uniform skirt there, and just had to try it on. Well I did just that. I was in the room for a good 20 minutes. I guess the teacher thought I took too long and came looking for me. She caught me modeling it in front of a mirror, pants on the floor....man, did my mom read me the riot act that night!! But that never stopped me from trying to be my true feminine self.

My wife of 19 years finally found out after I told her about my CD'ing. Ya know, God love her, she accepted it whole-heartedly! We even exchange clothes every once in a while. I love her!! But here is my issue....I am a very masculine man (read - NEVER pass outside of the house...think Tom Selleck in a dress). I work in a very masculine and male-dominated area, and can't retire for at least another 7-8 years. And I REALLY want to start the transition soon....slowly, but soon. That way when retirement comes, I'll be ready to take the final steps. I'm a bit overweight (by about 20 lbs), and I REALLY do NOT wanna lose the weight since I'll lose what breast tissue I have. I'm an A cup, but fit in a B cup with the right bra.

So, there is a bit about me. Thanks for listening (err...reading). I feel like I know a lot of you personally already. I'll shut up now. Boy, do I feel silly....
  • a a
    • 96 posts
    July 14, 2008 12:07 PM BST
    Hi Michelle,
    Welcome to TW,there`s no need to feel silly,we are all girls here and all feel the same as you.You`ll make lot`s of great friends here as veryone is friendly and helpful.
    Hugs and kisses Mikki xxxxx
    • 1912 posts
    July 14, 2008 12:13 PM BST
    Hi Michelle, welcome to TW. Your story is very similar to many of the gals here so you should fit in just fine. I hope you checkout the chatroom and have an opportunity to talk with many of the gals here.
    As for your transition, go at a pace you are comfortable with. There is definitely no one size fits all approach, especially when you happen to be married. One of the best things you can do to help make yourself passable is to get either laser or electrolyisis treatments to remove your facial hair. Typically the process may take a couple years so you may want to check into that in your area.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • July 14, 2008 4:38 PM BST
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I felt like I was just rambling on there for a bit, so much to say and so little of a space to say it. You all make me feel at home! See ya on the boards!

Smooches!
    • 315 posts
    July 16, 2008 9:22 AM BST

Hi Michelle,

First of all, welcome to TW.
    As you've had a good "look-around" before joining us, you'll know that there are loads of bits of information here in the Forums, that'll help you, and your wife, along the road of your self-discovery.
    (Your wife might well be interested in checking out the "Significant Others" Forum).

As for you thinking that you've been rambling on, no way!!
    These forums are her for us to ask/answer any questions, get something off our chests, have a laugh, or just keep in touch. Just post, long or short, no-one will think you're "rambling"!

Check out the chat room too!

Again, welcome!

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 1980 posts
    July 14, 2008 3:02 PM BST
    Hi Michelle-

Welcome to TW, hon. I loved the trying on the skirt in the closet story, how funny. And good for you, keep on keeping on, it's never too late to be who we are. Like you I am blessed with a wife who is understanding and supportive, always remember to keep her in the loop and don't be in a rush about things. As Marsha Ann said, we all move at our own pace on this journey.

TW is a great place for girls like us, I know you will find help, advice, resources and most of all, friendship. It's nice to have you here.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2017 posts
    July 14, 2008 3:13 PM BST
    Welcome to TW Michelle, I'm glad you took the time to read the forums before joining as they do contain some excellent tips as well as being a good way to get a feel for the site.

You are lucky to have a supportive wife who accepts you, that is absolutely priceless in my book and you've already started to reap the benefits by exchanging clothes and so on.

As for passing, that isn't the be all or end all, you can still enjoy yourself and as Marsha has already said, there are ways to feminise your appearance which will help you.

In the meantime, have fun!

Nikki