Sandyford Inititive/Glasgow

• February 24, 2006 7:17 PM GMT
    Hi all , im a new member and this is my first post. After years of inner turmoil i finally visited my GP about my gender identity issues and was refered to The Sandyford Inititive in Glasgow. My first appointment was with Dr Carr and i felt it was a very negative downheartening experience. This has set me back quite a bit emotionally. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has also been to the Sandyford Inititive who could share some of the experiences they have been through. I have another appointment with Dr Carr in a couple of months and i am physically and emotionally dreading it as i felt i wasn`t given any support.
  • February 25, 2006 2:24 PM GMT
    Hi Susanna i was at sandyford on february the 9th for my first appointment with Dr Susan Carr. I was nervous to start with but i was made feel welcome i guess like you i was expecting a lot more out of it but as lucy said it is the NHS after all.If you are on the same road as i`am Dr carr will have said to you about being referred to the local pychiatrist which is what im waiting on the appointment to see him but she couldnt say how long it would take before i see him. But i am more than willing to be patient on this just knowing im getting seen is good enough for the moment .Like you i didnt think much of Dr Carrs approach to things but it`s her clinic so im more than willing to believe she knows whats shes doing & talking about. The way she made me feel was at the end of the day it was really going to be up to me how far i when with the whole transition. I think really the way they work is if you feel you need the support then theres a drop in clinic on the first tuesday of every month as well as a counseller you can go and see in between that and there is also the gender support group that is where all the transitioning girls get together twice a month to help each other and thats on the first thursday of every month from 7pm to 9pm and third saturday of the month 12pm to 2pm . The next saturday one in march is the one i plan to attend as i really believe it will be nice to meet the other girls that are going through the same thing as i am and yourself thats the only down side to it all is that i can only get to attend the saturday one as im 36 mile from glasgow in ayrshire so and dont drive so saturdays the only one thats possible for me unfortunitly. Just try and hang in there hun im sure the next time round will not be so terrifying for you as you `ll know what to expect now you`ve been. And i would if you can to try and get along to the support group cant do any harm right ? Take care
    HUGS charllet xx
  • February 25, 2006 4:41 PM GMT
    I would just like to say a big thank you to those who have posted a reply. I read them this morning and ended up in tears but they were happy tears. For the first time i actually felt as if i was a normal person instead of some strange deviant. I had allowed myself to become quite down because of 1 bad experience but i have been given a great lift from knowing there are people out there who do care and are willing to offer encouragement and support. Thank you. You have made me feel so much better.
    • 2068 posts
    February 24, 2006 9:49 PM GMT
    Hi Susanna.....first of all let me welcome you to TW, i just know you'll love it here. Its funny you should mention Sandyford initiative hun, cos my GF went there recently for an Appointment with Dr Carr & she got on very well. I am sorry that things did not work out the first time, maybe they will the next time. i know you may be dreading the next time but like the saying goes......nothing ventured,nothing gained..so just go for it!

Good luck hun, hope it goes well!

Love & xxxxxxxxxx Anna-Marie
    • 2627 posts
    February 24, 2006 10:41 PM GMT
    Hi susanna
    Also welcome to Tweb.
    I want to suggest going to our TS Forum. I think you'll find many different girls here have the same or simular stories. While not a TS myself I have followed enough to know it's a long road.
    Don't just give up. Read the forums & ask questions. You will find answers or a shoulder to lean on. Whichever you need.
    • 1652 posts
    February 25, 2006 12:26 PM GMT
    Hi susanna.
    Don’t be downhearted. I haven’t been to the Sandyford clinic, I saw my GP, was referred to a local psychiatrist who then referred me to Charing Cross. Other than doing a blood test all that has happened so far is that I have been asked lots of questions, and it’s nearly a year since I first saw my GP. This is the NHS, it’s normal, you have to be patient and not expect a quick diagnosis, not to mention treatment. As for support, well apart from an apparently sympathetic ear I haven’t really received any of that either, though I never asked for it and don’t feel I need it. I assume Dr Carr is some sort of psychiatrist, as that’s normally your first port of call in the NHS muddy waters of gender treatment, and I presume his job is purely to asses and eventually refer you for treatment, and not necessarily to offer support as such. (Though I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt them to at least “appear” supportive!)
    If you feel you need more support you should ask what is available, they may be able to put you in touch with a local support group or offer some sort of counselling. Maybe you’ll find all you need on Trannyweb, it’s helped me a great deal just being here and hearing about other people’s experiences and being able to share my own. Talking, listening to, and meeting others like yourself is the best support you can get. Good luck with everything.
    xx