Need some advice

• 7 posts
    October 5, 2008 8:53 AM BST
    Hello,

I am helping a friend of mine who is still becoming the woman she knows she is. The problem is, she is a woman everyday at work and no one knows but she still has to shave. Its not that she has really noticable facial hair but she gets paranoid if she stays out after work. How could she get her facial hair totally removed without anyone knowing?

Can a laser work if she walks in clean shaven?

Any advice would be much appreciated
    • 32 posts
    October 5, 2008 8:19 PM BST
    Hi Renee,

Laser treatments are expensive and take a considerable amount of time to get noticeable results. However, they do need something to work on, typically two-three days growth, as the laser needs to be absorbed by the dark matter (sorry forgotten the proper term) in the hair to kill off the root. And as the hair grows in a three-phase cycle the same area will need three treatments to kill off all of the hair. Also, as the hair needs to contain dark pigment to effectively absorb the laser light, it is very ineffective on white or fair hairs.

I have had several treatments a few years ago and there has been little noticeable change in my beard growth - of course the technology has probably improved since this time.

Hugs and Kisses
    Andrea xxx
    • 1912 posts
    October 5, 2008 10:26 PM BST
    I'm not sure you got that right Andrea. I go to a medically staffed facility for my laser and your face needs to be recently shaven. The laser follows the hair down the shaft to the root and if the hair is too long there will obviously be a bend which the laser can't follow. Electrolysis needs enough growth for the operator to "pluck" after zapping.

One thing you definitely have right is that it costs plenty and one visit is not going to do it. I have had laser for one year now and no dark hair remains, yet I will still go for one more year to make sure the stubborn ones don't return. As for the grays I will need electrolysis for those which once again is a costly endeavor.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 32 posts
    October 6, 2008 11:08 AM BST
    Hi all,

Well I did say that there were probably new laser treatments available since I went. But I still read in advice that it it best to have some hair growth, now whether that is for the operator to target the right areas or for the laser heat to travel down I don't know. Mind you I do wonder what the operator would target if you were clean shaven.

Probably the best advice would be to go into one or two clinics and ask them.

Hugs
    Andrea xx
    • 1912 posts
    October 6, 2008 1:05 PM BST
    Andrea, ideally they hit it all again to ensure they have not missed any. I purchased a package deal which included 5 treatments 8wks apart, next 4 treatments 3months apart, then a guarantee for life for $1 a zap touchups as needed. I am only having the facial hair removed at a cost of $1850. I have no chest hair and epilating or shaving keeps up well with my arm and leg hair.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 7 posts
    October 8, 2008 1:48 PM BST
    Thank you all very much, It sounds like very good advice and I will pass that on. I'm sure she will be most greatful.

Is there any specific governing bodies that regulate this industry that I could use to check the standards of clinics or operators?
    • 7 posts
    October 9, 2008 12:07 PM BST
    Thank you Nikki.

I imagine the British board may have some idea if there is a similar body in France.
    • 404 posts
    October 9, 2008 9:02 PM BST
    Bonsoir Renee,

I don't know about the various Laser/pulsed light techniques but,from experience, I can say that needle epilation causes the treated area of the face to swell up and this swelling may take a day or two to disappear. If I had a midweek epilation session I sometimes had to fend off very concerned questions at work the next day. "Had I got some sort of infection in my jaw? Had I been hit? etc etc. arranging treatment for Fridays after work is to be recommended so that the weekend can be used for recovery,if necessary.

Ciao
    Lynn H.
    • 1980 posts
    October 6, 2008 3:49 AM BST
    Hi Girls-

As someone who has had a bit of both, I thought I might chime in. For laser treatment you don't really need to have much outgrowth of your beard for it to work. As Marsha Ann mentioned, the heat developed by the laser sort of travels down the follicle and kills the root, however the hairs that have been killed may protrude and fall out over a period of 24-48 hours. You are not supposed to pull them out but let them sort of fall on their own. Like apples or something.

For electrolysis you do need to have some growth so they can be tweezed out individually once they have been shocked into submission. Either one is fairly expensive and requires repeat visits and followups. I have had my mustache area (which was the most noticeable) gone over rather extensively and would like to do more on the rest of my face but have quit, at least temporarily, due to monetary considerations.

Hugs...Joni Marie

• 2017 posts
    October 6, 2008 8:40 AM BST
    Hi Renee, I will just throw in my two cents here as well if you don't mind. Yes, laser will reduce the facial hair and it is better if you are clean shaven when you go in.

Despite what you might hear as well, the newer lasers will work on grey and blond hair as well.

Electrolysis needs some hair, my clinic suggests that I have at least 1mm of growth.

Whatever method your friend chose, noone would notice since both methods are a slow process that require a couple of years and so it is a gradual process which nobody would notice.

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    October 6, 2008 1:15 PM BST
    It may well depend on where you go Andrea, as you say, go and speak to them. A good operator will know what to target though even with a clean shaven face.

Good luck.

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    October 8, 2008 2:59 PM BST
    In the UK you can check whether or not a clinic is a member of the British Institue and Association of Electrolysis (BIAE). They offer training to diploma level so you should be safer using one of those.

I can't say whether the same is true for France though. Sorry.

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    October 10, 2008 9:36 AM BST
    My sessions have all been scheduled for first thing in the moring on a weekend because of course they need some hair to work with, and who wants to go and and be seen with stubble???!!!?! As you say Lynn, you also then have the weekend to let the face heal a little too.

Nikki