my dear girls,
    i would like to ask about my hormones
    my doctor in Syria gave me :
    androcure 50mg daily
    estrofem 4mg daily
    is that enough for me i am now 33 years old
    i need to know if i have to use more dosage or alternate medicine
    or more as progesterone
    i will be so glad if you help with your experiment with your doctors, coz here in Syria no body deals with TS and have low experiments in therapy .
    thanks for your advanced help

kisses faten
    • 1912 posts
    October 14, 2008 3:59 PM BST
    Faten,
    That is not an unheard of starting point, in some circles that may even be considered high to start with. As Anne mentioned in her reply, a lot is going to depend on you. And for that you will need labs done to check your levels. I can only assume since a doctor gave you the scripts, he will also have you take the necessary labs to make sure stuff like your liver function is not being impaired. Best wishes, Marsha
    • 18 posts
    October 15, 2008 9:25 AM BST
    thanks Anne and girls
    you were very helpful
    but i just need to know if finasteride is made to re grow my hair and move my body hair also or just my head , coz i have strong hair and i am not bald just minor loss on top not mentioned.
    and for progesterone is it helpful for breast and shaping my body or what can produce to my body and what is the dosage and what kind : etrogestan 100 mg good for 10 days.
    i have to try to see my body but i need a start.

thanks a gain my dear i am so glad for your help, please i am a lone here in Syria and really i need your support

kisses faten
    • 1912 posts
    October 15, 2008 12:18 PM BST
    I believe the correct answer on the finasteride is "maybe." Finasteride blocks DHT which can lead to male pattern baldness so it can be a good addition to a regimen. Talking with others I have found Finasteride is best at helping regrow hair on the crown of the head but not so much on receding hairlines. As for body hair, finasteride acts in a different way by compressing body hair follicles, basically choking them out. For some though, there seems to be little effect at all on body hair, especially chest hairs. Personally I don't have chest hair and for my arm and leg hair I would say maybe they are finer now. As for doseage that can range from .8mgs-5mgs so it is best to talk to your doctor about what is right for you.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 18 posts
    October 16, 2008 9:27 AM BST
    thank u Lucy thank u Marsha
    i really appreciate your experience, i will keep on doctor regime and I will see what changes i could have, tommorow i will have laser therapy for my beard (red one) they told me i need more than 4 time to have good result especially with my red hair , i have to b patient in everything.

kisses fatenxx
    • 1652 posts
    October 14, 2008 11:21 PM BST
    Hi Faten.
    I’d agree with Marsha that 4mg is a good starting point. Androcur (cyproterone acetate) is a far more risky drug than Estrofem (estradiol) and it’s something I have never taken. 50mg is a reasonable dose to begin with, from what I’ve read. I believe the need for any anti-androgens reduces with age, so I shouldn’t worry too much about thinking you might need more.
    Doctors around the world are notoriously inexperienced in hormone regimens for TS people. The only way to know if your regimen is right for you is from the effects you notice, and for that you must be patient; it takes time. Blood tests are necessary to monitor your general health, but as far as measuring estradiol levels are concerned they are meaningless and pointless, and I say that quite confidently after 4 years on hormones and having levels checked regularly. Achieving/maintaining a certain level of estradiol does not mean you will get a satisfactory level of feminisation. So you have to listen to your body, and be aware of any changes that are occurring.
    Some people achieve good results with the dosage you are on now, some people need more. Give it time and see how it goes.
    The only other thing I would add is that if you have any problems with receding hair then it would be worthwhile adding Finasteride, of which a very small amount is needed daily; one quarter of a 1mg tablet per day is enough.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    October 15, 2008 4:08 PM BST
    Yes Marsha’s right. Unfortunately if you ask if hormones or a drug like Finasteride will affect you in a certain way, the answer is, maybe. It varies between individuals. Finasteride is probably not going to make lost hair grow back (though some claim it does), but may help stop any further loss. As I said, tiny amounts are needed to do this (it’s actually a side-effect of the drug which was originally developed to treat prostate cancer, amongst other things). I’m unsure whether higher dosages will have more effect on reducing body hair. Most people notice some reduction with estradiol alone (which in turn will reduce testosterone), and I believe Androcur may also help so I wouldn’t have thought Finasteride would make much difference to your body hair given your current regimen. Only take it if you wish to halt receding hair on your head.
    If you’re just starting out on hormones there is no need to take Progesterone. There is some debate about whether it will improve breast growth, I believe it does, but won’t do much on its own. So get started on estradiol first, you may see good results if you’re lucky, and think about adding progesterone later. 100mg is a reasonable dose, some take it for part of the month, some every day, some every other day.
    Your doctor can’t tell you what regimen is going to work for you any more than we can, so some experimentation may be needed under his supervision.
    What he’s started you on though sounds fine to me, so just be patient and see what happens.
    xx