Diagnostic assistance

• 171 posts
    November 4, 2008 9:11 AM GMT
    Has anybody received first hand experience of the use of hormones as part of a diagnostic regime to ascertain whether they are TS or TV? I have read (with caution) articles that describe circumstances when a low dosage has been taken for a short period to gauge whether a person gains psychologial benefits from feminine hormones, assisting them to determine a way forward and understand their condition. The reason for asking the question is contained in the question.
    Rachel
    • 1912 posts
    November 4, 2008 1:17 PM GMT
    Rachel,
    I wouldn't say my doc did that for me although that may have been on his mind. Initially I was having issues because of my family and how much I worried about losing them over this. So the doc had me on low dosage to see if that would keep me content. Within 6 months I was up to what is considered standard dosage and that is about when I lost my doc. So I self-med for about 1 1/2yrs until I found my current doc.

As for the diagnosis, I saw a psychiatrist who did various tests and tons of questions mainly about my school age time of life. I did the Cogiati test which isn't an official test but the doc thought it was somewhat useful. I scored 506 which is pretty high as I recall. Realize that I had done several tests and when you start hearing the same question over and over you kind of catch on what to answer so I don't know how useful that was. I've heard a number of people mention the spilling a glass of water and then watching to see if you make an effort to clean it up. I don't know what that is all about, never happened to me. I almost sense that when you walk in the door they have a good idea whether you are or are not TS. In the U.S. we have to pay for it so I think they drag it out so they can get more money out of you. That is why in the end my opinion of shrinks is poor.

I hope that gave you a little idea of what you were after.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 171 posts
    November 4, 2008 1:55 PM GMT
    Marsha, thanks.

I've had some preliminary assessment (professional although web-based) and have completed other 'tests' - you're right, you can determine the outcome of these if you know the form.
    Fundamentally, if I'm going to put people I love through turmoil I'd like to try and ascertain whether the level of benefit is going to be really significant. Sorry if that all sounds a bit cautious and cold-blooded, but at present I'm almost able to cope with this damned balancing act. I say almost, because I having a growing suspicion that I would be a happier and healthier person if I let one go. Maybe perhaps I need to meet with and engage more with people who have had more conviction?

As for offering to wipe up a spilt glass of water, well I'd be there like a shot. Firstly because I'm just too helpful and considerate, and secondly that my architect training encourages me to preserve the sanctity of spaces and surfaces!

Thanks

Rachel
    • 1912 posts
    November 4, 2008 7:13 PM GMT
    Rachel,
    I am so happy to hear you giving it serious thought about how to approach this. I heard it from all directions and there are plenty of cheerleaders out there that are clueless about your life. Many will tell you that you need to be selfish and do what is right for you as if they know what is right for you. I love my family dearly and my biggest concern was the possibility of losing them. I said from the begining that I would never stop trying to keep my family together. Today I find myself among very few who are fortunate to have their families intack. It hasn't been easy and it isn't over yet. So for me, I know I can't be happy without my family, therefore I always consider how my actions will effect them. Take your time and best wishes.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • November 5, 2008 6:22 PM GMT
    Rachel,
    I think that all medically supervised hormone programs do this, albeit unintentionally. MtF hormones are introduced gradually, starting with lower dosages, typically beginning just with a low dose of estrogen, then introducing an anti-androgen some weeks later and then perhaps progesterone (many docs think progesterone is not reqd). dosages are then adjusted upward in order to achieve feminization and eradicate male sexuality.
    I, as I'm sure all who begin taking hormones, was quite excited at beginning and looking forward to change. I started to experience a feeling of better emotional well being shortly after starting, which I think is what you are asking about. It made me want more and even more resolute and looking forward to transition.
    I have met people who had reactions entirely the reverse, in that they thought that they were ts and wanted to change, but once they started to, even subtly, they freaked out. The changes scared them and they learned that they did not really want to change. Obviously these people discontinue hrt.
    So, the short answer is yes, starting will let you know whether or not you want to continue. If you are under medical supervision, you will be started at a lower dosage. If you are doing it yourself, you should also start lower for this reason as well as safety.
    Good luck,
    bebe
    • 171 posts
    November 21, 2008 11:16 AM GMT
    Thanks for these replies. I am sure Lucy's right when she says that most people know their position prior to commencing hormones. Perhaps I am fortunate because at present I am able to go on because I can just about suppress the messages that my brain is sending. Maybe I'll reach a point when I am no longer able to do this? If it were possible to seek confirmation that this was the right course of action then I would gain psychological strength for the events that would follow. Perhaps that's a little like hedge-betting with your own life, which taking the lessons learnt from the credit crunch is possibly best avoided.

• 1652 posts
    November 20, 2008 11:17 PM GMT
    Well, I have first hand experience of hormones but not specifically as a diagnostic tool. In the UK, as has been suggested, they don’t give you hormones and say, “Here try this, see if you like it…” but of course if you find you don’t like the changes that hormones bring then you probably shouldn’t be on them. Conversely, some TG’s may find they welcome the effects yet still not wish to transition fully. I don’t think they are a way of determining if you are TV or TS.
    I think if you want to totally feminise your body and live as a female, you really will know. Hormones shouldn’t be taken as an experiment or used as a diagnostic tool, though most find the effects somehow confirm what they already knew.
    xx