Judith has the best Blogs

• 1912 posts
    April 26, 2010 11:15 PM BST
    Judith tends to get pretty elaborate in her blog postings and always makes you think. So first of all I encourage everyone to read her blog here: http://gendersociety.com/[...]9224993

Her latest blog covers a story about how many TGs are victims of harassment and why such a high number when you don't hear about those problems here. Is it the way the question was maybe asked or possibly these gals are getting the treatment they expect? Do these gals look like easy prey, which Judith calls having a victim's mindset. Personally I think some people like being victims. Just like women who continually go back to abusive husbands, somehow the behavior is justified.

Then Judith goes into confidence and how support and connectedness are most important. She goes on to discuss how family, friends and support sites like Gender Society add to confidence. I don't disagree with that, however when you relate it back to harassment, the most important part of confidence is not family, friends, or support groups, it is acceptance or tolerance from society. So I ask, are these victims of harassment displaying behavior that makes them easy prey? Are they inviting trouble?

Hugs Judith, another great blog.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 105 posts
    April 27, 2010 5:46 PM BST
    Hi Marsha and Melody,

Thank you both so much for your kind comments - I've gained such a lot from reading the many wonderful blogs here, so I'm delighted that you find something of interest in mine

Marsha, your point about the origins of confidence is well taken - I hope to see a day when the issue of whether someone is cisgender or transgender will carry as much weight as whether they're right- or left-handed. The closer we get to that day, the more confidence all transgender people will acquire, I wholly agree. To put it another way, if I have to find a path across a minefield, nothing will boost my confidence more than the news that the mines have all been cleared. Lacking that, I'm likely to be more confident (and less likely to get blown up) if I have a map kindly supplied by a friend who's navigated the terrain safely before me

Thanks again, you two - made my day!

Hugs,

Judith
    • 1912 posts
    April 27, 2010 9:32 PM BST
    Please don't take this wrong Cris, but your final comment "any form of harressment irregardless off who it is directed at is unlawfull" just makes me laugh. It never ceases to amaze me how you UK gals especially, like to bring up how it is against the law to do this or that when it pertains to TG individuals. I have said it numerous times before and I will say it again, hate crime laws and discrimination laws have little effect if any at protecting us. You can not legislate morality. People are going to behave as they see fit. The whole idea of how laws are suppose to help us is no better than thinking TV shows will help educate people about us. Apparently UK gals especially want to believe those who don't understand us will pay attention to laws or TV programs, but seemingly are shocked when an abuse takes place.

I'm not sure if this analogy will make any sense to you because of the culture thing but let's try. Most people live comfortably in their own homes and go to work at a business to make a living. Then there are those who are seemingly down on there luck, or maybe even choose to live on the streets. You might even wonder how at times they can survive, but they do. A term sometimes used for this is that they are "street smart". I kind of wonder if much of the TG harassment problem stems from individuals crossing these lifestyles and not knowing how to function in the new environment. This is not meant to apply to everyone's situation, there are obviously cruel people out there that look for any opportunity to be hateful.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1912 posts
    April 27, 2010 11:17 PM BST
    Sorry Cris, it is just time and time again I hear UK gals say crazy stuff like there is a law against this or that. Sure didn't seem to work well each and every time someone pointed out there was a law against it.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1017 posts
    April 26, 2010 11:31 PM BST
    Hi Marsha,

I, too, have found Judith's Blog posts to be very well thought out, relevant and well written. Seeing a new blog from her is always a read to look forward to.

Thanks for pointing out the value she contributes to the site, and thank you Judith for the wisdom you bring to us.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2358 posts
    April 27, 2010 6:17 PM BST
    Marsha's Question.

''So I ask, are these victims of harassment displaying behavior that makes them easy prey? Are they inviting trouble''?

Some do, some don't, Sometimes it does'nt matter how you presnt, behave, if somone knows what you are or you do not quite pass, The moronic uneducated troglodytes, will harress you, out of a sheer sense of elevating their percieved superiority in front of their peers. wether it be:- you are better dressed, better off, better educated, you have a job they don't.

Its not just about transgendered people either. happens to some extent to gays, lesbians, mothers that have children with downes syndrome and various other afflictions. even to the point of bullying and harressing the kids themselves, In fact anyone they deem that does not conform to a mirrior image of themselves.

Instance, yob chucks empty fag packet in garden, Big burly guy shouts ''Oi come here pick that up'' They either leg it laughing never venturing back saving face with each other, or go back and pick it up if they are on their own. If I shouted after them, they would hang around tiping everyones bins in our garden until the police arrived and then leg it. Its a percieved, what they accept thing Big burly normal guy versus tranny...... .

Its basically Ignorance, resentment, intolerance towards anyone outside the flock they see as different.

But any form of harressment irregardless off who it is directed at is unlawfull, even if they wear six inch skirts and have a beard.

Cristine
    • 2358 posts
    April 27, 2010 10:24 PM BST
    marsha

You can be so pedantic at times, Perhaps I should have said imoral and against the law, I did not say it never happens or that the law always deals with it, or sometimes just looks the other way. I'm sure there are police that think trannies and gays etc get every bit of haressment they deserve. There are laws here in the UK sometime they are inefectual, sometimes they do work.

Cristine
    • 2627 posts
    April 27, 2010 11:36 PM BST
    Just yesterday I was chatting with someone on FB. I said that if I start to transition now I would have to leave my job. Not because of what the company would do but because of the people I work with, thay would not except it.
    She broght up both points just as Marsh said.
    First that they can't do that, or don't we have laws about that.
    Second, that surly people are becoming more axcepting because of TV shows like Ru Paul.
    I work with allmost all black people all they want to watch is someone shoot him.

Things are very different there than they are here. It hasn't been that long ago that your police were still not armed with guns.
    • 2627 posts
    April 27, 2010 11:40 PM BST
    I'm sorry that was off subject.
    Yes I also read her blogs they are very good.
    She can get her thoughts across very well. Better than most.
    • 1017 posts
    April 27, 2010 11:49 PM BST
    Hi Karen,

I don't think you were off-topic at all. This thread is (as Marsha initiated it) both about the quality of Judith's blogs and about her current one.

Best,
    Melody