cumulating babysteps *g*

• 11 posts
    February 23, 2009 11:50 AM GMT
    Hi girls!

I'm still on my journey. I'm occasionally reading the forums in here and seldomly feel the need to write something.

Heck, most of the time when I post something, I come up with some promise that I'll write more in future times. But I guess I can't force it. *G*

So anyway. I felt the need to write something again, because a lot has happened since my last visit in here. So here I am.

I already was going en femme in most situations except for work. About one and a half years ago I began to make my family and friends acquainted with my "new" name - Andrea. They all took it as it is and started to actually learn to address me as "she" and call me Andrea. It was almost harder for them as I thought it would be for me. But they all went along, no one turned his/her back on me. I pretty much began to lay out the road for me to become a woman.

About a year ago I was telling my boss about Andrea. And we began to talk to some people in the house on how to deal with that, how Andrea could get introduced and when I would feel the urge for it to happen. I could've walked into the company en femme right away but I thought it'd be a lot less complicated for everyone, if I manage to introduce myself beforehand so that it wouldn't come as a shock to most of the employees.

At the end of last year we were close to start and since February 10th, Andrea is now working here and the man who sat here is gone.
    Nevertheless, this is all unofficial. The naming is based on the agreement within the company to call and address me like this. When it comes to the salary cheque or other official things, then there'll still be my male name on it.

We're a company with about 500 people and I came out by having the management sending an email with news about the company. Part of "the news" was me coming out - which was written mostly by myself but the introduction and the end was added by the management. I tried to avoid any soul-striptease so I kept it formal. The management added parts which were showing, that the company supports me in my decision, which was a great deal for me. Because having the management say this, is a different message to the employees than just me telling it.
    It's like "You better be nice to her" *G*

So I thought since that problem is out of the way, I better get used to the fact, that I'll be a woman everywhere. So I went further and tested my courage to the extreme by going swimming - in a bikini. Okay, I went there at 6:30 a.m. in the morning so there were less people than there are in the afternoon. Yeah I know, I was cheating!
    But there were enough people to see me and who could make me feel nervous. I fought against it, swam and since then I continue to do that.

Small steps taken slowly. It's maybe slower than it is in other TS' life. But it's my pace and I'm happy with it.. Most importantly, my family, my friends and the majority of the employees in my company accept and support me. I'm in a really good situation that not every TS can enjoy. I am grateful for what I have - for there are others who get insulted, cast out of the family or anything like that.

Yeah, I know it may not be big news in here, but I felt like sharing it with you. *g*
    • 141 posts
    February 24, 2009 9:10 PM GMT
    Congratulations on being 'out' at work. Before it happens it seems that it will be the most major step of your life and after it happens (well, for me anyway) it seems as normal and inevitable as the rising sun.

I was very fortunate that less than twenty work at my place of employment. I'm equally lucky that my employer was very, very accepting and made every effort to ensure that both I and the staff were prepared and comfortable with the change. Although I hadn't yet changed my name, all the documentation at the company was changed to reflect Ann -- including my pay slip.

Because I worked in retail as a clerk, I was -- from the moment I came to work as Ann -- daily facing 20 or 30 strangers with whom I had to directly engage, talk to them, ask and answer questions. In the extreme sense, I was 'OUT' there. Over the last year and three months, facing the public daily has become mostly natural. I can't say totally because there are moments of insecurity, when a customer stares impolitely at me. Its ironic that the occasions I deal with a male-chauvinist are often very good moments as I realize that -- regardless of how I look, I am being treated as a woman. How ironic is that.

Now more than ever, keep your head up high and your shoulders back. Be proud and be confident. That will carry the day.
    • 1912 posts
    February 24, 2009 10:53 PM GMT
    Andrea, you said everything in that ending statement about how it might be slower than others, but it is your pace, and it is YOU that is happy with it. Congratulations.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2017 posts
    February 23, 2009 3:01 PM GMT
    I'm very impressed by your story Andrea, mine is very similar, including the swimming which I did last yaer for the first time. This year I am hvaing a girly beach holiday so it's about the final step in being accepted for me. All the way I have been amazed at how easy it has actually been, how accepting everyone has been. I hope that you continue to enjoy everything as you have been so far and that it continues to go so well for you.

Nikki