wigs! - ok well maybe you can help?

• 35 posts
    February 26, 2009 5:06 AM GMT
    So I hate my hair as I have a receeding hairline from ... so I have to go the wig route - on the upside that gives me alot of options on hairstyles etc.

So I am looking for something to wear all the time kinda androgynous as I want to be able to pass as a guy with this wig at times and also as the women I am when that is necessary. Any advice as to where to get one online that may be kinda what Im looking for. Im looking for a short hair wig! im working on a budget as im sure you girls understand.

well thanx
    • 1912 posts
    February 26, 2009 12:01 PM GMT
    Avery,
    I have purchased from these two online wig stores in the past with good results. Like Karen said, quality makes a difference so try not to cut corners.
    http://www.wowwigs.com/
    http://www.beautytrends.com/

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1195 posts
    February 26, 2009 2:32 PM GMT
    Avery - find a "decent" wig shop - you don't want to be taken to the cleaners - so to speak but you don't want the bargin basement either. Look around - when you find one make an appointment with the owner or manager. Be up front - tell her that the wig is for you. I went through the same experience and found a shop that was very accomodating....got my "crazy" blond wig there. I love it. My wife and I must have been there two hours and I tried on quite a few wig. Great fun - the shop owner appeared to be having a good time too.
    good luck
    hugs
    Gracie
  • March 2, 2009 7:03 AM GMT
    hi Avery

i picked up most of my wigs online, sometimes you make a bad choice, and then other time you will get it just right. you can get some great wigs at really affordable prices on ebay as im sure you already know. the best wig i own is a full lace human hair wig, i got it from ebay and it cost less than 1/2 the price as most online retailers. i would recommend this type of wig to anyone, try typing full lace wig into the youtube search box if your not sure what they are, you'll get loads of help with all kind of things there.
    anyway......good luck finding the right wig for you.

sam.

• September 28, 2009 9:32 AM BST
    Thanks everyone for the links and advice. I found it very helpful

Stephenie
    • 1083 posts
    September 28, 2009 10:11 PM BST
    I'll add to this thread as well.

A wig is NOT something you cheap out on, luvs. (Take it from the girl who wears one, and has since 2002.) A good wig is an investment. A cheap wig is ugly and, frankly, obvious. (Wanna learn how I found this out the hard way? Read this.

I prefer to do my wig shopping in person. That way, I can see the style, length, and--check this--the actual color on my Amazonian frame and determine if I like it or not. That cuuuuuute blonde wig may look faboo in the picture, but until you put it on and discover you look like a tramp...well, you get the idea.

Aside from which, making nice with a wig shop comes in handy when it becomes time for a cleaning and styling. (Trust me--it'll be the best $15-$20 you'll spend on your investment.) Plus, they can sell you stuff like hairspray and shampoo designed for wigs (if you insist on doing it yourself), and may even be able to sell you combs and brushes to help tame those flyaway tresses. (If not, they'll be able to tell you where to go to get them.)

If you buy a wig, buy a foam head for it as well if possible. It'll keep it looking good longer that way.

A decent wig should start around $80-$100, and a really good one will start around $125-$150 and up. I've seen some that sell for nearly $400, and they are all human hair. (Note that I didn't care much for them.) The current one I am wearing ran me roughly $125 when I got it--and is probably closer to $140 now.

Final word of advice: Don't buy a wig from a resale store, unless you really like it and can get it cleaned, or you really trust the shop to have at least had it cleaned. You don't know who had it last, how many people have had it (or worn it), and what scalp conditions they may/may not have had.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 2627 posts
    February 26, 2009 9:29 AM GMT
    I've found that a good wig is not something you want to pinch pennies with.
    The best way to find something that looks good is to go someplace that sells wigs.
    The bad thing about buying online is that you won't know what it looks like untill you try it on.
    • 2017 posts
    March 2, 2009 8:37 AM GMT
    Although you shouldn't pinch pennies with a wig as a bad one will, well, look like a wig. However, if you shop around you can easily find very good quality wigs that don't come with overblown price tags either. These are usually through online only stores so they have less overheads, (no pun intended). The downside is, you don't know what it will look like on you until you buy it so check the returns policy carefully. As you want to have a wig that can be used in both modes, you probably need a 3/4 or full monfiliment one as they are much better for creating different styles with one wig. Good luck.

Nikki
    • 2573 posts
    March 7, 2009 7:15 AM GMT
    http://www.wilshirewigs.com/

Wilshire Wigs has been used with great success by a number ot TW girls. It is also the source for television and movie studios.

Address:
    5241 Craner Avenue
    North Hollywood, CA 91601
    View directions.

Phone:
    800-927-0874 (Toll Free)
    818-761-9447 Phone
    818-761-9779 Fax

Hours:
    Mon-Fri: 90-5:30 PST
    Sat: 90-40 PST

However, after you purchase a wig you should consider a wig stylist to cut it to suit you. If you spend a lot make sure they are good at what they do before you let them chop a $400+ wig. Avoid a truly "bad hair day".

Some places, like Wilshire Wigs, do custom wigs:

"Custom Work

We Make Custom Wigs and Hairpieces Of All Kinds!

Whether you need a fully customized piece or just some repair work, we can do it for you.

The Wilshire Wigs Custom Department is staffed with two full-time ventilators on the premises ("ventilator" is the technical name for a wigmaker). These talented women can handle just about any hairpiece request. Do you need hair added to an existing piece? Want color highlights added? Does your hairpiece need mending? Can't find a hairpiece to suit your needs? Wilshire Wigs can help."