Listen up, luvs--there's a lesson here!

• 1083 posts
    April 17, 2009 6:46 PM BST
    Hello, luvs!

As I write this, the events of last Tuesday and Wednesday are a bit of a blur, and for good reason. A lot of that period has been spent under a cloud of painkillers!

Let me go back a bit...this whole thing actually started last July, in what I thought was simply a bad gas cramp. It cropped up again in December, and started to become more of an issue off and on a few weeks back. I went to the doctor, who felt (based on what I told him) that it might be a “functional blockage” in my intestines, and I should be okay so long as Gas-X was taking care of my symptoms, and if it continued to go to the emergency room and get x-rayed.

Thursday the 9th of April, while at a rehearsal for a Sweet Adeline chorus I direct, I had what I thought was another really annoying gas cramp. Except this one was so bad it took five hours to die down, and at one point I thought I was going to pass out. But I got through it, and was feeling better on the way home.

Then on Monday the 13th, everything came to a halt. My SO and I were walking at the local mall when I decided that something was most definitely wrong. We determined that a trip to the emergency room was in order.

We arrived at 7 PM. About 9 PM, they gave me a shot of morphine to unbend me enough to take an ultrasound. By midnight, I had been admitted to the local hospital, with a gall bladder that was “inflamed” and had “sludge and stones.” I underwent the emergency removal operation the next day, where they found that my gall bladder was pretty well infected, too. In short, I was in worse shape than the ultrasound showed. I spent the rest of Tuesday night and most of Wednesday at the hospital, and finally went home on Wednesday night. I’m on antibiotics for the next 5 days or so, and painkillers on an “as-needed” basis. I am also taking the rest of the week off, and will be on light duty all next week.

So, why share all this with you all?

Because I probably should have had this looked at a lot sooner than I did. The lesson I am giving here is pretty simple: If something doesn’t feel right, have it checked out sooner than later.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 1195 posts
    April 17, 2009 8:32 PM BST
    Mina I'm sorry to hear about your health problem but I'm glad you have survived.
    Just think "I'll enjoy being pampered."
    I'm afraid my medical knowledge is limited All I remember is the "All Gaul is divided into three parts." Or is that another Gaul - er gall. My mother used to say "You've got some gall!" It usually mean I fouled up, again.
    Don't let your SO overdo waiting on you or you'll be waiting on her soon.
    All kidding aside, you take care.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 14 posts
    April 17, 2009 10:33 PM BST
    Minako,
    I'm glad your doing better. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is serious from what is just a pain from some bad food.
    Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Luv Donna M
    • 1912 posts
    April 18, 2009 12:22 PM BST
    Mina, I am happy to hear you are now mending, best wishes on a quick recovery.

Wendy, I think I know what you are talking about with HMO's but I wouldn't say they are all bad. I have been very happy with my HMO insurance which has covered all my TS related health care including meds and more labs than anyone should be poked with. Just last week my wife developed a strong pain in her lower back which is unusual for her. She was able to see her doctor, have x-rays and start physical therapy all that same day. Our cost, $30. You may be referring to HMO hospitals like what we belonged to years ago in Seattle. We never had a problem but I had heard they did what they could to cut costs. On the other hand, we have a fancy private hospital in town that one of my customers is a nurse at. She blames them for her mother's death and said there is no way she would go there for care if she didn't work there. Hospital staff are human, some brighter than others, lol.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 22 posts
    April 19, 2009 2:00 AM BST
    Hi Mina,
    So glad to hear they have you out of pain.
    I know all to well about abdominal pain. While your healing an a lap top is handy look up "Actinomycosis" .I had that for 3 yrs before they found it. It is invisable to CT scans,X-rays,an ultra sound. 6 GIs before they sent me to USF. He took 1 look at me at 115lbs. Normal 150lbs. an admited me to Tampa GH right then. All from getting a tooth pulled.
    Take it easy an hope ya heal soon.
    Huggs Jenn.
    • 1980 posts
    April 17, 2009 9:21 PM BST
    I'm glad to hear you're okay, Minako.

Lots of hugs...Joni Marie
    • 734 posts
    April 17, 2009 11:39 PM BST
    Hey hunni,

Not nice! I just wanted to wish you all the best and so much love for a speedy recovery!

Rae x
    • 2573 posts
    April 18, 2009 3:47 AM BST
    Minako,

I suspected gall-bldder in the first paragraph and was certain by the third. Your doctor should have been more suspicious and proactive. I bet you have an HMO. But don't feel bad, I've seen nurses fooled when they had them. One took a big slug of heavy cream to settle her "ulcer". Big mistake. Huge. Her gall bladder went nuts. Worse, it meant she couldn't have surgery that night. It's very painful and you have my sympathy. Doctors almost killed my father putzing around with an abdominal aortic aneurysm Fortunately I was in Medical-Surgical classes at the time and he was recovering from surgery in two days, not climbing around on the roof where I found him.

You are the number one advocate for your health. Doctors are NOT God, but HMO's are close to Hell.