Looking for long lost friend

• 83 posts
    April 28, 2009 9:10 PM BST
    About 20 years ago, I got to know a person that now I realize I should've tried harder to keep in touch with. In the late 1980's, I met Freddy, who was working as a waiter at a restaurant called Angelina's Trattoria in West Seattle, Washington, USA. Freddy was probably the best waiter I had ever met, and we became friends, and we even had him over to our house for a visit one day. I was too deep into religion, and too distant from myself, at that time, to understand why I was drawn to Freddy. He was from somewhere in the mid-western USA, and I'm thinking that might be Wisconsin or Minnesota. I used to know Freddy's last name, but can't recall it, unfortunately.

I remember one time at Halloween, 1989, and the restaurant had chosen to do a Star Trek theme for the night, with decorations and of course, costumes. We requested Freddy as our waiter and he showed up at the table dressed as Nurse Chapel, and Freddy was a stunningly well done with makeup and costume that was perfect in every way. Freddy told me later on the phone that he was going to have a sex change operation, and things were really rough for him, as he was losing all his friends. His new name was going to be Lisa, he said. I was unable to reach him/her much after that.

At the time I deeply appreciated his openness, sincerety, gentleness and positive attitude. Also at that time, I didn't know the difference between gay and trans, and couldn't relate on that level, but he was such a wonderful person that I'll never forget Freddy/Lisa as long as I live. Now I really would like to reach out to her as I walk a path similar to hers.

If this person sounds familiar to any of you, I would greatly appreciate hearing any news about Lisa, and especially would like to get back in touch with her.
    • 83 posts
    April 29, 2009 4:01 PM BST
    Thanks for the wishes. I know Lisa became a new person way back then, and was most likely abandoning Freddy. I seem to remember that there was an ex and children as well. I would say the biggest challenge to be faced was that as Freddy, he had one of those gorgeous, deep, pleasant male voices, and his enunciation was impeccable. In fact it was so good that he could have pursued a career in doing voiceovers in broadcasting, or been on the radio. I asked about that and Lisa admitted it being the biggest challenge to be faced.

Hopefully someone, somewhere will be a friend of Lisa's and recognizes enough of these details to get me in touch with her.

Ann
    • 83 posts
    April 30, 2009 4:53 AM BST
    Thanks, Rae, for the wonderful suggestions! I'll give Angelina's a try, but am not sure they are still there. That's probably my best bet, though. Never tried the Salvation Army - but that does give me some ideas on other resources I might be able to use.

Hugs,
    Ann
    • 734 posts
    May 1, 2009 12:14 AM BST
    Ann,

Before I posted I did a quick google to see and it appears to be...

Much love

Rae x
    • 1980 posts
    April 29, 2009 12:05 AM BST
    Hi Ann-

Just want to wish you luck in the search for your friend. I've been trying to find a friend of mine from highschool for the past three years with no luck. Hopefully you and Lisa will reconnect.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2017 posts
    April 29, 2009 2:24 PM BST
    Best of luck Ann, I suspect it may be difficult because no doubt 'Freddie' has become such a different person and maybe severed some ties with the past. Still, the TG community is still small on a global scale, so you never know. Good luck.

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    April 30, 2009 12:53 AM BST
    Ann,

Whilst Freddy may have changed - or not - and may - or may not - be Lisa, it's unfortunate you can't recall her surname.

I presume, outside of TW, you're doing whatever you can to locate your friend. Even the long shot things like contacting Angelina's Trattoria in West Seattle? Maybe there's a slim chance someone could give you a clue, even if it's just the name of an old ex-employee who may know something.

In the UK, if I wanted to try and trace a long lost relative or friend - granted surname is handy - I could contact the Salvation Army who undertake this chore with great results. I don't know if you have similar organisations over there?

Good luck!

Much love

Rae x