Virginia Prince, 1913 - 2009

• 773 posts
    May 3, 2009 9:44 PM BST
    Virginia Prince, a pioneer of gender expression, has passed away at the age of 96. Virginia is credited with having first coined the term “transgender.” She also published the first transgender publication, “Transvestia” in the late 50’s/early 60’s, and was the target of federal prosecution for distributing it through the US Post. She is probably best known as the founder of the Society for the Second Self, or as we know it today, Tri-Ess, an organization comprised of a network of local chapters devoted to the support of heterosexual crossdressers and spouses.

In my personal trans experience, Virginia was tremendously supportive of me when I was but a wee tranny. Somewhere, deep in those boxes of college term papers, old copies of Tania Volen’s “Transvestian” (different publication) and some of the first editions of “Tapestry,” I might be able to dig up some of the correspondence I received from Virginia, written in her own hand somewhere around 1988 or 89. Surely there are some here who remember the days before the internet, when the trans community consisted of mail correspondence through anonymous post boxes and publications mailed or purchased furtively in plain brown wrappers. When in order to attend a Tiffany Club meeting, one would call a phone number from a designated phone booth in Waltham, Mass, and an unmarked car would be sent round to collect you and spirit you off to the secret meeting location.

Anyway, thanks Virginia, for encouraging me lo, these many years ago. Thanks Virginia for a half century of bravery and advocacy. You will be missed.
    • 1980 posts
    May 3, 2009 11:21 PM BST
    Thank you, Robyn, for letting us know. It is a loss for the entire community.

Hugs...Joni Marie