Do I Stand a Chance??

• 18 posts
    May 14, 2009 7:32 PM BST
    Hey All...now that i am a little more comfortable on TW and all of you have been so gracious, i feel like spilling my guts out to you all...so to speak...this is my first experience on a chat site like this, but i'm here because i feel i belong here...chances are i'll never come out of the closet, but never say never, ...right??....well anyway, here's my story:

i'm 54 years old and have been married for 30 yrs, have 3 kids i couldn't be prouder of..2 boys, 26 and 24 and a girl, 21...i live in a small town in new jersey in a 4bedroom colonial that sits on 2 wooded acres(lotsa birds and deer} and i'm a mailman right in the town i live in....i've been on my route for 18yrs and know just about everyone around...to them, i'm "Mike the Mailman"...I also have a part time job(gotta pey those taxes and college tuitions!} at night in a local supermarket where i'm a deli clerk and also know alot of people...there isn't a place i go where i don't run into someone i know.
    i've been dressing for my own entertainment and only in the confines of home, ever since i could remember, but always lived my "real" life as a man...my wife doesn't know my tendancies and i could never imagine me telling her..guess i'm just a spineless jellyfish...how would she take it?...how would my kids take it?...how would all the people in my life take it?
    there's nothing i would rather do more than shave myself all over, get made up and dressed and go on a shopping spree!!!...but i don't see that happening, so here i am enjoying all you girls doing what i wish i could do...are there any of you out there that are as much of a "basket case" as i am?...or are there any of you out there that overcame the feelings i am going through?
    anyway, i'm just so glad to be here and to feel like the woman i want to be among all you lovely ladies!....

i hope i didn't bore any of you with my ramblings and thanks sooo much for listening

Hugs, Michelexxx
    • 1195 posts
    May 14, 2009 8:47 PM BST
    Michele or Chele (New Jersey talk) Small towns have small minds so don't go shopping there.
    I live in a small town with micro-brained people - I wouldn't dare go out here. OOPs, sorry I have been out in the middle of a cold winter's night - my wife exclaimed that I was swishing too much.
    That experience hasn't been repeated in this neighborhood. But, it was fun.
    Luckily, my wife is aware of my life and is handling it extremely well. She does grumble now I then when she objects to me wearing something of hers - possession is 9/10th etc.
    I do get all "dolled up" (gussied up)out of town - usually Dallas or Fort Worth- the big city. I don't get noticed - no one cares. It's fun.
    How are we going to get your wife on-board and get you to NYC or Phily for a weekend....hmm. Must work on a plan.
    How do you think your sons or daughter would handle the knowledge? Statisically, one of your sons could be a crossdresser.
    Maybe you could go to a Postman's convention somewhere.
    You bring up so many questions in my fuddled brain - where do you keep your Michele clothes? - for instance.
    hugs
    frazzled Garcie
    • 89 posts
    May 15, 2009 4:04 AM BST
    Michele, once again words of wisdom from my old friend Joni. (Sorry about that Joni, I did not mean to say you are old but we sure do know each other for a long time) :-) Once again she just said what I would have said so I am not saying it again.

I could not imagine to go out in my neighbourhood wearing anything girly but I definitely do not rule out the chance that I will some day. More unlikely events are known to have happened, such as the fall of the Berlin wall and collapse of the Soviet empire. Comparing to those events, going out en femme is really not such a big deal ;-)

I am glad you feel you are at home in TW. Let it be your safe haven where you can meet up with people who know exactly how you feel and who are willing to share your burdens and be happy with you when you feel that life is being good to you.

• 18 posts
    May 15, 2009 10:28 AM BST
    Hey girls..Thank you all for coming to my emoitional rescue..i knew i could count on you!..i guess that's what's known as "support" and it looks like support abounds here on TW...unconditional support...i imagine baby steps is the answer..test the water, so to speak...maybe get away for a few days and do the en femme thing to see how it goes and then probably feel guilty as hell..that would be a quick fix anyway..doing it far away with hardly a chance of running into anyone i know...i don't know, i'm so damned confused!!!!...but, i know i can count on my new sisters to hold my hand and see me through all this...Love you all, Michele
    • 83 posts
    May 16, 2009 4:16 PM BST
    Michele, you sound like me 15 years ago.

Since then:
    I came to accept myself more.
    I came out to my dad, after I found he was a CD also, just before he died.
    I came out to my girlfriend, who later married me, even though she knew this.
    I came out to my son, and found out he was a CD also (he just went into Army boot camp this week -I'm so proud of him!)
    I moved to a tiny town in central Washington State, and there I went for my first outing 100% female.

Who knew?

Hugs,
    Ann
    • 18 posts
    May 17, 2009 11:51 AM BST
    Joni Dear..thanks for offering to hold my hand, because at times i do need it held..I don't know why, but all of a sudden I feel like you are the sister I never had..are you ready for that responsibility?..haha...well are you, sis?...we have to chat one of these days...see you around!!...Michelexxx
    • 18 posts
    May 17, 2009 11:54 AM BST
    Ann..thanks for sharing..maybe someday i will have a similar story...right now i am in the baby steps phase..Michele
    • 18 posts
    May 17, 2009 1:29 PM BST
    Tina...thanks for the words of encouragement..that was sweet of you..maybe it will happen someday for both ouf us...get out into the world as the ladies we want to be..as you refered to, stranger things have happened!...Michelexxx..and oh yeah, Joni is doll, isn't she?
    • 18 posts
    May 17, 2009 5:19 PM BST
    Hey Mere..slow and steady, that's me...more like stuck in the mud, but at least i have all you nice girls to keep me company..loved your u-boat story!..i hope you didn't get rid of those shoes...i'm sure they'll be fine at another time or place or with a different outfit...michelexxx
    • 18 posts
    May 17, 2009 5:49 PM BST
    50 bucks, joni??..you could get a pair of shoes and a purse for that?...i gotta go shopping with you!!!... sounds like you know where the bargains are!..if you promise to pay me back, i'll lend you $100...just take me shopping with you!!...how bout i be your 4 month older older sister...that'll give 'em sumthin' to talk about...stop in the chat room sometime, maybe we'll run into each other...see ya...michelexxx
    • 18 posts
    May 18, 2009 9:37 AM BST
    Hmmm, Payless..I guess the name says it all!...I'll have to check it out..or maybe i could borrow a pair from my sister, seeing that we're the same size...got anything in an open toed slingback with a 3" heel, Joni?..and maybe an outfit or 2 to go with them?..after all, isn't that what sisters do, borrow things from each other?,,,the latte's on me if you let me pick something from your closet to wear..hahaha...thanks, sis!!....Michelexxx
    • 1980 posts
    May 14, 2009 8:51 PM BST
    Dear Michele-

As you said, never say never. If someone had told me, oh say 7 or 8 years ago, that I would be out in public dressed as a woman and loving it, that my wife of 20+ years would be accepting and even supportive of this, that my son, while somewhat uncomfortable about it, would be accepting of it and that all my friends would know and be accepting, I would have laughed until I threw up. But...TAH-DAH!...here I am. Not to say that there haven't been issues and problems and a lot of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments, there certainly have been, it hasn't been all silk panties and de-thorned roses.

For what it's worth, while not quite as much in the public eye as you seem to be, for most of the past 20 years I lived in a very small town (less than 5,000 people) in Central Oregon. Along with the fact that while my son knows, it would have embarassed the hell out of him for me to be seen enfemme by anyone he knew (though at times I considered doing it for just that reason!<G>), I avoided going out anywhere near our then hometown. Often times I drove anywhere from 3 hours up to 5 or 6 hours just to be able to go out and have some girltime and blend in with the crowd in some larger city. This, of course, after I had come out to my wife.

I guess what I'm leading up to here, Michele, is that the closet forever is not necessarily your only option, though it may be a completely viable and perfectly okay one. Lots of t-girls choose to remain in the closet for personal reasons such as the ones you mentioned, nothing in the Tranny Handbook says you have to come out, especially if it would hurt those you care about. But...if you decide you really do want to be all the girl you can be, then there are lots of resources here on TW including lots and lots of girls who have made or are making that journey. We are here for you and hopefully for one another as well.

Wow, so sorry to ramble on like that. Please forgive me, way too much coffee today. Hope you are having a wonderful day. Even though you don't have a picture up, I can tell you're a beautiful girl.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2358 posts
    May 14, 2009 9:26 PM BST
    Hiya Michelle, just don't dive in, without dipping your toe in first, the water may be a lot colder than you imagined, just enjoy, what you have at the moment and go from there. Hugs Cristine.
    • 2573 posts
    May 15, 2009 12:11 AM BST
    Michelle,

One thing about TW....it is a place for change. Change inside us. Acceptance by others leads to self-acceptance, self-respect and discovery of Self. Sometimes I think a year at TW is worth a year of therapy.....for about the price of one session of therapy...without the skills you learn from a therapist. No matter how long it took you to get here, change tends to occur, sometimes at an alarming rate. Here is where you must be cautious. Do not lose your sense of direction in The Pink Cloud. Before coming out to family you must think hard on how you will meet their needs for, when you do, you will need to be sure enough to focus on THEIR needs, not yours. You must be prepared with answers to questions such as "Does this mean you are gay?". Know yourself first and be ready to answer their questions and their needs. Give them time to adjust before pushing too hard. As I counseled one of my closest TG friends, "Once you let the Joni out of the bottle, you can't put her back in." Naturally she shook the bottle and uncorked it right away, sigh, but as she pointed out above, it went darned well for her....lucky girl. The signpost up ahead.........."PROCEED WITH CAUTION"....at home, here you can have a ball. Good luck, Sister.
    • 1980 posts
    May 15, 2009 12:22 AM BST
    Hmmm...so you're awake enough to post but not awake enough to answer my IM?

Michele, don't listen to her scandalous ramblings, she lives in LA, the smog monster is snacking on her cerebral cortex.<lol>

Oh, just kidding, Wendy's a doll and my best pal. She is full of it...good advice, that is.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 1980 posts
    May 16, 2009 4:25 AM BST
    Oh heck yeah, Michele, we are here for you. We'll hold your hand, hold your purse, your drink, whatever you need, girl. We sometimes have our little differences, like any large family or, dare I say it, like any bunch of girls. Sometimes we can be sooo b*tchy, not me of course<lol>, but when it comes down to it, we are here for each other to a degree that sometimes amazes me. No worries, hon, you're with family.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2463 posts
    May 17, 2009 2:39 PM BST
    Michele,
    I am not going to repeat anything that has already been said other than NEVER feel ashamed for who you are. I will also reiterate to take things slowly. Other than that, hang around!

Mere
    • 1980 posts
    May 17, 2009 2:46 PM BST
    Hmm, lemme see, Michele, of course I can be your "sister", I'd be flattered. But I don't want to be your older sister (no comments from you, Wendo) and I don't want to be your little sister. So I guess we could be fraternal twins, except fraternal sounds so boyish. So we can be sororital sisters, which is a word I wasn't even sure existed, but actually does, sororital, that is, not sisters. So now we're sisters and the same age.

Oh, and since we're now sisters, can I borrow $50 'til the end of the month? I saw some really cute shoes at Payless yesterday and a purse to go with them. Are you ready for the responsibility of sisterhood?<lol> Just teasing. Send me a PM girl and let's chat sometime.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 1980 posts
    May 17, 2009 11:03 PM BST
    Michele, you have got to get yourself over to Payless shoes. They rock. For one thing they have shoes in sizes for girls of our persuasion, I wear 11/12 in size du femme. They also have sizes up to 13 on their website, though sadly, like most stores, not in all styles. They are way cool about tgirls, at least all the places I've been to have been, whether I'm trying them on in girlmode or guymode. Oh, and if you order online they'll deliver them to a local store saving you money on shipping and also perhaps save you having to explain how a pair of shiny red leather hooker pumps got delivered to your house.<g> Whoops, I guess I shouldn't be putting my taste in shoes on your doorstep.

And speaking of hooker pumps, I got a pair of 4" black patent leather T-strap (see there's that T thing again) pumps for $20, like I really need another pair of cfmp's. Oh well. I also got a sort of a faux-Coach bag for $25. So see, if I had borrowed $50, I would have had $5 left over for a latte.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2573 posts
    May 18, 2009 6:34 AM BST
    Payless has another useful method for those of you in full Stealth mode.

You go in and buy a gift card. Then you go home and order online. You then have the choice of picking up the order at the store, or having it delivered to your house or rental mailbox without a credit card/checking statement record of your name.

In addition, it tells you the measurements as well as the size of your shoes in it's size list. You can easily get the right size first time and then you know what foot measurements fit you.

Ok, I'm officially not hijacking this thread to talk about shoes. lol. Good tip, Joni.