A Sort of Update

• June 14, 2009 8:38 PM BST
    Earlier today I received an email stating that I'd received a private message on TW. This meant that I had to log in to find out what it was. Michelle Lynn was enquiring into my health and she said that she missed my posts.
    So here is a bit of an update on me.

Earlier this year I stated that I was moving away from the T-community. This is typical of some of us once we have had surgery. I also found that a lot of my problems were coming as a result of helping others following on behind me. I got accused of being anti TV, a bit difficult when my loving husband is a TV.

So what is going on in my life these days? I live life very happily as a married woman and am well accepted as a married woman locally both socially and at work. I no longer work in a large store but am now working in a charity shop 3 mornings a week. It's great being asked for fashion advice. I'm a member of a local social club and this last weekend one the Ladies House Championship at Aunt Sally (don't ask me to explain this Oxfordshire pub game). This club is a great place for a drink and social chat.
    On the T side of things I attend meetings of Spectrum London so that means a monthly trip up to London on a Tuesday.
    A few weeks ago I was physically attacked in London's Victoria Station and was knocked to the ground. The British Transport Police eventually apprehended the perpetrator of the incident who turned out to be a post op transsexual. My avatar on a T-forum was how she recognised me. She was given a Police Caution.
    Earlier this year I tried to find out about my early life, especially before I was 4 years old. Well in March I was contacted by a former nurse who remembers me being operated on. This operation was carried out within the first 24 hours of my life. I was born with both sets of genitals/reproductive organs. It was decided to keep my male appendage because my baby urethra was in my penis. So it was a surgeon decided I would live my life as a boy. Yes I was born a hermaphrodite.

Alina
  • June 14, 2009 9:44 PM BST
    You got a fascinating and interesting life Alina. Good you could find that old nurse as she must be in her mid 80's or 90's by now and you lucky she can remember what name you were born under and what the doctor did in her early days while working as nurse. But I was just wondering why did you not just ask your parents? (if they are still alive though)

I had my bag stolen at a train station once and the police was not even able to trace the person on the video even they had at least 20 cameras running. Sad but true... I think they just did not care.

I think TV, CD or TS are all humans so it's not about like or dislike is it? Putting stamps on people is like statistics - it does not mean anything to me but for some it might do. I have friends that are both TV and CD and I don’t see any point in classifying them differently because we all are going trough almost the same thing but on a different level. I also know CD that are now transitioning fully as TS.

xxx Natalie

• June 15, 2009 7:29 PM BST
    HI Alina,

Thanks for the update!!! Sorry to hear that you were attacked. Overall, it is encouraging to see women, like yourself, who have successfully made their transition.
    I hope you drop in from time to time and think of your sisters here.

Hugz and have a wonderful summer,

Michelle Lynn
  • June 16, 2009 7:39 AM BST
    Natalie, The nurse remembered me because it's not everyday that a nurse is in the operating theatre when a hermaphrodite is undergoes surgery. I have found out that my former doctor and the surgeon involved have passed on. Yes the nurse is very old and remembers me not only because of my name (my family were in business and well known) but because of the uniqueness of the surgery.
    Reference for asking my parents. As part of the surgery I was also circumcised and left with rather bad scarring (possibly to detract from scarring around the scrotal sac). So I was always told that I'd had a bad circumcision when I was a baby. When I told my father that I was a woman not a man he replied that my mother (deceased in 1988 when I was 18) and him had always known I was different but thought I'd grown out of it when I joined the army at 16 1/2. Don't forget that back in 1950 the stigma of having given birth to a "weirdo" would have been on the family. As my dad is one of my greatest supporters now I don't want to cause any upset to him.

On to the incident at the station in London. I didn't report the incident to the police at the time because the person who sent me flying leaned over me and said "Sorry Alina, can't stop, I have a train to catch," and ran off. It was only when I thought about it over the next few days that I thought it was strange that someone that knew me should do as she did. So the next time I was in London I went to the station and reported the incident. The police then showed me the recordings taken from cameras in the area at the time of the incident and there it was for all to see. I was deliberately barged and knocked over. It showed the perpetrator saying something to me as she straightened her wig. The police then studied other recordings and worked out her travel patterns. A couple of days later she was arrested. How did she know me? It was from a very recent pic I'd used on a couple of forums.

Alina
  • June 16, 2009 7:48 AM BST
    As many here will be aware I underwent surgery in July of last year. What does annoy me now is that I had to finance surgery to correct a mistake made in 1950. I was born with both male and female genitalia, had my female genitalia removed and at age 58 had the male genitalia removed and female genitalia reconstructed.
    How is life now? Having got married 8 months ago I'm really enjoying life with my beloved husband. I'm accepted in the community as the woman I am. I work 3 mornings a week in a charity shop and am often complimented by the customers of my turnout (I don't dress up, just simply) and am regularly asked for help in picking clothes. Yes I'm very happy with my life.

Alina
  • June 17, 2009 1:01 PM BST
    Alina I think one good thing about forums is that people ask questions and not only say “it’s god…”, “I’m happy for you….” Etc. because I asked and made comments that you gave perfect answers on and it’s now more easy to understand your situation. I thank you for this because I think you gave good answers and also have an interesting life story to tell us all.

As you say you are very happy with your life, I met some friend yesterday and one told me that he found me very interesting because I was the first person he ever met that in fact have done the transitioning even though he knew a lot about it. As we was more then just one person there, the others said they know why he asked me so many questions about it as they said he are maybe interested in doing the same, which of course was a joke.

It is wonderful to be a woman and nothing can compare with it even if it’s just part of your life and I enjoy every minute of it and I hope all of you girls in her do the same. For those of you that haven’t got as far as others and myself, I would just say “go for it” like the movie “Free Willy”

xxx Natalie
    • 2573 posts
    June 16, 2009 3:25 AM BST
    Alina,
    It was good to hear from you again, but understandable you choose to live your life by your wishes. I'm glad you found out about your childhood; it must be a relief to know, despite the new issues it raises. I can not imagine why someone would want to attack you but, like any community, we have our share of unstable individuals. Thank you for stopping by to tell us how you are doing. Here or not, you will always be part of us.
  • June 19, 2009 11:29 AM BST
    it would be fascinating but sad to know the reason the post-op attacked you! Never heard of that before.
    Such craziness seems to suggest the person should be on a psychaitrists couch...