Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » TG Books » Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

Tags : None
  • Terry Pratchett's Discworld series takes place on a flat planet supported on the backs of four giant elephants which stand on the shell of a giant turtle that flies through space. Despite the odd nature of this world (or perhaps because of that nature) this Discworld has a lot of connections to our own.

In Monstrous Regiment, Terry Pratchett looks at the perception of gender. The story is about a girl disguising herself as a boy to join her country's army, similar to Mulan. Of coarse, anyone who has read Terry Pratchett's work will know that this is where the similarities end.

This is an amusing look at how men and women percieve each other. Unfortunately, I can't elaborate any more on this without adding spoilers. You'll just have to trust me that this is a good book.
      August 5, 2009 9:26 PM BST
  • just think of all those folk songs about female drummers/soldiers/sailors etc etc

ciao

Lynn
    "It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      December 4, 2009 11:59 AM GMT
    I've been able to read about 30 or so books by Terry Prachett. I've enjoyed them all. He covers transgender in a few and does it well. Basicly he's a humorist but he doesn't put down any group except the greedy, overbearing world wreckers.
    (My that sounds rather....)
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      December 5, 2009 5:36 PM GMT