Going to London...a couple of questions

• 114 posts
    August 22, 2009 7:35 PM BST
    I will be in London for a long weekend in October. My 50th birthday is that weekend, and I'd much prefer to spend it with a good friend in London than in the desert of Saudi Arabia. :-)

While I have two full days of guy-oriented activity with my friend (who does not know about Jenette), I have the first day all alone and want to do a little shopping. I've recently lost a LOT of weight (on purpose), and I want to buy some replacement clothes...maybe pick up some girl stuff that is inconspicuous enough that the customs agents won't realize it's girl stuff if they search my bags upon re-entry to Saudi. Maybe some pretty, and inexpensive, jewelry items...which I can say are gifts for friends if questioned. I am looking for ways to BE Jenette when I am stuck here...I am to the point that even little things can work...full dress up is not necessary, which I suppose is a good thing. Suggestions on where I may shop are appreciated. Reasonable prices are a must. This is already a very expensive weekend.

One of the other items on my list, which may seem weird, is Neutrogena Rainbath. This is my all time favorite shaving lubricant. I can NOT describe how wonderful your skin feels after shaving with it. While they carry lots of Neutrogena items in Riyadh, I have yet to find either Rainbath or their Bath Oil (with its wonderfully essential sesame scent). Would any of you London ladies know if they carry either of those items in the UK? I soooo miss my Rainbath.

Anyways, thank you in advance. I appreciate any and all input.

• 114 posts
    August 22, 2009 8:14 PM BST
    Nikki,

It's not London that concerns me - it's bringing stuff back into Saudi Arabia.

Muslim countries are notoriously narrow minded when it comes to transgender issues, including clothing. So, if they search my bags when returning, which is always a possibility (but has not yet occurred), it might be difficult to explain overtly female items. My aim is to find some female clothing that is not so obvious or for which I can provide a reasonable explanation if confronted.
    • 171 posts
    August 23, 2009 9:10 AM BST
    Exchanging an air-conditioned shopping mall in Riyadh for another in London may seem like an silly suggestion, but you might consider Westfield in West London?
    The ethos, architecture and consumerism might be distasteful, but it offers a large, uncomplicated and anonymous space in which to shop. Saturday morning (first thing) is also surprisingly quiet. As for what you buy, well..
    • 114 posts
    August 24, 2009 3:58 AM BST
    Thank you all. I appreciate your responses.
    • 2017 posts
    August 22, 2009 7:52 PM BST
    Jenette, I'm sure you will get some good answers here, from local girls who can help you find that rainbath you so crave. As for going out, just go out, you're in a major capital city in Europe, trust me, you won't draw any attention to yourself, and the same goes for shopping, dept stores are interested in your cash, not your gender. I hope you have a great weekend and are able to pick up something nice for yourself too.

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    August 22, 2009 8:17 PM BST
    I see your point Jenette. Would it be easier to post it back to your address there or would the mail be searched too?

Otherwise, certian blouses, tops, trousers and jeans are all nicely unisex.

Nikki
  • August 23, 2009 1:50 PM BST
    lots of good shops will gift wrap so why not ask for the things to be gift wrapped and tagged with fictitious women friend's names? If you've been in the country a while they might juts give your stuff a cursory examination anyway. Last few times I've been abroad psot 9/11 the exams have been absic as the xray machines do most of the work...soft stuff won't raise any suspicioins.
    Saudi princesses are notorious for buying sprees when in Europe so why not a non-saudi?
    • 2573 posts
    August 24, 2009 4:34 PM BST
    Rose's suggestion is a good one, particularly with Christmas coming up fast and you being stuck in SA where you "have difficulty buying gifts for women in your country while alone." Since they revere Jesus as a prophet, they probably will not be offended by celebration of his birth either. So you did your Xmas shopping in London and plan to mail out the gifts later in the year.