Plinth day

• 126 posts
    August 25, 2009 7:36 AM BST
    Getting there

On Saturday afternoon, I was bathed, shaved, dressed and we were walking down the road towards Bedford station on our way to Trafalgar Square. There was plenty of time to do everything we had planned, but it was hot though, bloody hot. I was sweating even though I was fanning myself so much, E-J got goose bumps on her arm. I may need to consider growing my hair out and not using a wig any more. That really doesn’t help when its hot. The tube was a nightmare too. How much hotter can it get down there?

But there we were, in big scary London, on a roasting hot tube, heading off to Camden Town. What a place that is! Step off the road into a market, and it’s like an Aladdin’s cave of stalls, all crammed together so tightly, it’s difficult to tell where one stall ends, and another starts. We went through the cobbled streets over by lock 17, and found a bar to grab a very refreshing cold lager. It also hadn’t escaped either of us that we had just walked into a straight bar, in the middle of LDN!!!
    People noticed us, and immediately knew, but they didn’t care. No pointing, no sniggering, no whispering, and no problem! Being a transvestite in a straight bar in London didn’t seem to be anything like our last outing, to a gay bar in Bedford! That was very very refreshing, and I don’t just mean the beer.

After that it was back onto the tube, and down to Trafalgar square. As we came out of the tube station, we went round to ask for directions from a tooled up police man who had just crossed the road. He asked if I was joking!!!! We were stood not 20 foot away from it LOL. What can I say? We don’t get out much.

After the beers we had had earlier, we were somewhat in need of a loo, so off we went. Failing to notice the toilets in the corner of the square, we headed off round the corner to a pub with lots of big hairy blokes stood outside, smoking and drinking. There wasn’t anywhere else to go, so it was heads down, and straight in and then down the stairs to the loos. Once safely inside the ladies, E-J announced that she thought we might be in the right place so to speak. When I looked up, and around, it was definitely the right place for us. A gay bar, and the big hairy blokes were nothing more than bears. What are the chances of that happening LOL.
    Before we headed off into the square, we had a few drinks, and something to eat.

Once in the square, we had a look at the plinth before making our way over to the welcome office. As soon as I opened the door, one of the crew said, “You must be the 10 O’clock slot?” They were great and made us feel right at home. Even gave me a tee shirt as a plinther. Ill probably not wear it tho, its more E-Js sort of thing than mine. So there we were, arrived in plenty of time, so now I could stop worrying. No I couldn’t, I’m on the plinth soon!!!!! Oh lordy!!!!!!! What have I done?

The 9 O’clock plinther, a man with a bag full of 1,000 cakes apparently! Well 500 to be precise, his friend was on the way with the other 500!!!!! Good luck with that! The square is gridlocked so I hope hes coming by train! He was just about ready to go, and he’d had his 10 minute interview just after 8. His friend turned up with 2 minutes to spare, and he was whisked off to the plinth in the cherry picker. 5 after 9 and I was in the interview room. Not 10 minutes for me, more like 40 minutes!!! I was afraid at one point that it was going to over run, but thankfully it didn’t. The interviewer was very attentive and asked loads of questions about the person behind the person on the plinth. What lead me to be here as I was? Thats what my hour is all about I told her, and pretty much went through the whole hours speech for them. I got the feeling that she connected with me in a very empathetic way, and it seemed like she thought that this was going to be a special hour. Perhaps even something monumental? I wasn’t sure if that was good or bad, but it was an air of expectancy for something rather special.

On the plinth
    Now was my hour. The cherry picker turned the corner and pulled up to the foot of the plinth. This was the bit I was dreading most. For months I’ve had a recurring dream where Im high up on a stairway when it gives way, and all the stairs below me collapse. I’m left rooted to the spot, unable to go up or down, and all I can do is to fear the falling. The plinth stands 7 meters tall, and to begin with, the cage is raised a good 2 or 3 meters above that, before descending on to the edge.

Cake man had one cake left and he handed it to me as he stepped on to the hoist. I stepped of, and heard the crowd cheer. I hadn’t realised from watching the night footage that there is a light end of the plinth, and a dark end. The end up by the National Gallery has 2 cameras and 2 very bright lights, making it the light end to stand on, whilst the other end is lit up from a single light on the One and Other welcome hut on the far side of the square. Down on the ground though, its the other way round. Its pitch black at the National Gallery end, so thats where I stood, unable to see the ground.

The crowd below had been whipped up into a frenzy, it was 10pm on a Saturday night, their thirst had been well quenched by copious amounts of alcohol, and their hunger had been sated by cake man. Now they wanted blood! Well maybe not, but they were expecting to be entertained, and that wasn’t gonna come from me. I had a plan, and I was going for it. The whole 2400 hours are being archived, and thats the art. Electronic pages of an hour each, held online for the world to access. Thats why I was there. To bear my soul and poor out my heart, in an attempt to reach out and connect with people as a transvestite. If I could touch the lives of a few people, perhaps educate them a little, or even just to explain it a bit, then my job will have been done. So not for me was there a loud hailer, that would have come across as preaching, and thats no way to connect with people. Nor did I intend to shout either. Im not going down as the shouty tranny of the plinth. For me it was simply to read out some of what I wrote about my life as a transvestite a few years ago so that it would be available for all to watch. I had deliberately excluded the crowd in the square from my hour, and I was expecting trouble for it.

I was acutely aware that I would be nervous, and needed to not just read out what I was saying, but to listen to it as well. That was the only way I could be sure to do it at a normal speed and not go off at 90 miles an hour. I started reading and listening to what I was saying, but I was also very aware of the now baying crowd. I wasn’t entertaining and they weren’t happy. I tried to remain aware of them without listening to them, because I had much to say and i needed to raise and lower my voice to be heard over the crowd. Soon the baying crowd went quiet. Apparently most people had realised it was for me a personal thing, and they had told the noisey ones to shut up, who had then drifted off in search of something more entertaining. I think one came back a bit later, because I heard someone shout “Your supposed to be entertaining us!” It didn’t phase me and I continued to talk thinking, “No I’m not! I’m here for me not you” Finally I had got to the end, and I turned round in the hope of seeing the hoist driving up to the plinth.
    Nothing! Not a sign of it anywhere!!! Oh god! What do I do now? I started waving at the crowd in the hope that I hadn’t got through it all so quickly, I still had half my time to go. Then I noticed a clock high up on the top of a building behind the One and Other hut. 5 to 11 PHEW!!!!!!! And to my enormous relief, the hoist came round the corner. A bit more waving at the crowd, and I was back on the hoist and lifted down to the ground.

Back in the hut, I signed the guest book and shaked hands with all the crew, who by now had finished but had waited around for me to come down so they could say thanks and bye. Once it was over, I learnt that E-J, who hates London and doesn’t like big crowds, had been going about telling anyone who was interested, who I was, what I was doing, and why I was doing it! I was immensely proud of her for that. Talking to strangers in a large crowd, in a big scary place like London, meant that she had to overcome some of her biggest fears and hates. All of that she did in support of me. Im so very very lucky to have her in my life.
    It was a bit of a rush to get over to St Pancras station on a closing down tube network, that to cap it all had lots of engineering works to confound us even more, but we made it with the help of a member of the crowd who had stood and watched me. On the Train to Bedford we sat looking down a largely empty carriage. On the wall at the far end was a poster for somewhere or something I couldn’t quite make out. All I could make out were the words, “Do something amazing today” and I said to myself, I think we just did!

Participating in One and Other was a liberating, if slightly daunting experience. All the staff were very helpful and supportive to my E-J and I, and we could not have asked for more or had a better day.
    Mandy

http://www.oneandother.co[...]s/Mandy

• 126 posts
    August 26, 2009 10:38 AM BST

Thanx Rose

Many people have said how brave I was, but it didn’t then, and doesn’t now, feel like bravery to me.
    I felt that it was a unique opportunity to reach out and connect with people in a way that may not ever come my way again.

And it seems as tho I have connected too. There is a thing called “twittering” and I have to admit that I know little about it, but it seems like it’s similar to texting, only it’s sending an instant message to a group for computers. There were 2 twitterers on the ground during my hour, and they told E-J to tell me that there were lots of positive tweets. When I checked it later, I found that they had started to twitter about me and transvestism more than an hour before I got up, and were still going when we got home at 2AM. Even 2 days later, there was still an odd mention too, so I definitely connected and so far it’s all positive.

The only thing I’m not sure about is whether or not to involve the local press.
    I used to know someone who knew someone that was a reporter for a daily national paper. I felt aggrieved about something at the time and thought it might make a good story, but I was warned off. It seems like the press are a little like Beatlejuice! Their intentions are not always honourable, and their view of a story may be opposite to the story teller. I was also warned that they don’t let go either, they just keep going until they get their version of the story out.

For now I have decided that if they come to discover the footage, and if they want to talk to me, then that’s fine, I’ll talk to them, but I don’t think I’ll be inviting them to ask.

Mandy
    • 126 posts
    August 28, 2009 10:41 AM BST
    Wendy,
    Its taken me a while to work out what you meant there, but I bthink I got there in the end.
    Yes I do know that I am definitely out now thanx. LOL.

My reluctance to go to the press isnt about being outed locally, Im out dressed even during the day, so its not exactly a big secret lol. Its all to do with not spoiling the reaction that I’ve had so far. So far its been a wonderful time with lots of very positive feedback. The concern I have is as Rose has said, you never can be sure that the press will see a story the same as us. This is a provincial town, with an element within it that are somewhat prehistoric in their LGBT views. For example, you have to wonder at non LGBT people who have rather big issues with the LGBT community, but make a point of frequenting LGBT venues, just to cause trouble and laugh at us all.

Rose,
    Your right and I wouldnt blame you if that happened. So far the reaction I have had has been amazing, and its left me with a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Time then to stop there, for fear of it being soured.

Mandy
    xxx
  • August 25, 2009 10:08 PM BST
    mandy
    whatever the highest award for transbravery is you deserve two of them...well done..
    Rose
    • 2573 posts
    August 26, 2009 4:14 PM BST
    Thank you, Mandy. I'm quite impressed.

P.S. You do know you are definitely Out now, don't you? ROTFL.

REALLY Big hug.
  • August 26, 2009 4:21 PM BST
    its hard to know what's best with dealing with the press...some transpeople have had very positive coverage and others got all the crap...probably depends on the reported and editor combination.
    My boss's husband works for BT and he gave her for me a clipping from the BT staff magazine that had a very nice report of a TS who transitioned on the job of actually being an outside repairer.
    My local paper has done articles too but when I contacted them about doing an article on me I got no reply...ah well...
    With hingsight it might have been good to get the national press alerted to your plinthing and tried to keep your home town details private.

Incidentally I have been thinking about transpoeple being outed deliberately by reporters and I'm afraid that if it were to happen to me I'd be inclined to take my phone and call the local police's Hate Crime contact.

(Can aI claim first use of plinthing as making plinth into an adjective?)