From the Lone Star State............

• 181 posts
    August 30, 2009 6:19 PM BST
    Just got finished reading the Dallas Voice , a Gay paper , don't see any humor but oh well............ Meanwhile Ms Ru Paul was quoted as saying that she dislikes the words " Tranny " and " Drag Queen " . Well so do I . I had a lot of back an forth last year with Katie Glover but I still find both terms demeaning . Hey , I actually spend time picking out waht to wear every day . I try and dress to impress, ask people who have met me personally . Anyone else care to share their thoughts ? Ellen S.
    • 1912 posts
    August 31, 2009 1:02 AM BST
    As much as I want to say I agree with you Ellen, I don't. Personally I also don't want to be associated with "drag queens" or the stereotyped description of a "tranny." With that said, once I have had a chance to educate someone on transgender including what a transsexual really is, the term tranny then does not bother me. Like you I give it quite a bit of thought when picking out what I will wear for the day. I would even say I also dress to impress and try to look mature and professional. I'm 50, not 16.

I have the opportunity to compare myself to another TG at church that is only one week different in age. I would describe her style more as a drag queen or stage diva wearing low cut tops and mini skirts with very high heels and exotic makeup to church. Although she seems comfortable with herself, from what I can tell the other people in church tend to avoid her. As for me, I usually wear below the knee skirts with fashionable tops, sandals with or without heels and minimal makeup. I have been made to feel very welcome at this church by many who know my circumstances and many that take me for a GG. Simply put, I am approachable.

So whether or not you, Ru Paul, and I don't like those terms, as long as gals like this other gal at my church are out there, those terms with all there baggage are valid.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1083 posts
    August 31, 2009 10:01 PM BST
    Ladies--

I can deal with "Tranny." Don't care much for it, but I can live with it. (Being TS, it's partially true anyway.)

Drag Queen? Mmmmm, not so much. I live this, and I'm not into the Tammy Faye makeup and diaphanous gown scene. Besides...makes it sound like I race. (No snide comments about being a fast woman, or you'll stay after class and clean the erasers.)

Really wanna frost me? Try "Transvestite" or worse, "She-Male." The negative connotations get me really torqued, really fast. So just don't go there.

Finally--A (gay) gent I am friends with once referred to me as b*tchboi. I gently took his face in my hands, kissed him lightly but firmly on the lips, and told him if he EVER said that to me again I would slap his buns into the middle of next week .

To date, he hasn't. It's been about five and a half years, now....

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 2627 posts
    August 31, 2009 12:36 AM BST
    Sorry we are not allowed to talk about labels.
    It causes some anger to rise.