Trying to help someone be a better perso

• 871 posts
    September 10, 2009 3:37 AM BST
    n - Thats the missing 'n' because it wouldnt allow it lol.

Hiya Gang!
    I went to my local pub Saturday night and although everyone is really nice to me there is always one! He insisted on calling me by my old name and continued to refer to me as a male. He said it was his right and freedom to refer to me as he saw fit. I replied that freedom and rights is just as much about respecting others' freedoms and rights otherwise you become a fascist nazi. I also explained that I had changed my name by deed poll and everyone else calls me Penny and he was the only one and was just making a fool of himself infront of everyone.

It didnt matter what reasoning I presented he was like a stuck record. Maybe, next time, I will say that there are two types of people in life, those who choose to respect others' wishes and pieces of sh*t who choose to disrespect people. And you chose to be a piece of sh*t! but thats probably too provocative to use.

The situation didnt bother me too much because I am a very tough and resiliant person and I can argue people to death lol. I just thought it would be nice if I could help the individual find a way that made sence to him to be more respectful of peoples wishes. It just got me thinking.

I wonder if there is a way, an intelligent and lateral way, to help people see that freedom and rights is about respecting other peoples freedoms and rights just as much as their own. i'm not saying theres a perfect solution but to arm ourselves with these concepts and anecdotes might go towards helping ourselves deal with such situations. I'm sure its a pointless excersise considering the individuals mental capacity but for me, its more of, did I do everything I could to help this person be a better one?

Any ideas?
  • September 10, 2009 7:58 AM BST
    Well let me start off by saying WOW!!! I didn't know you had such a deep and caring side (lol) but as for the subject of ''is there a way, an intelligent and lateral way, to help people see that freedom and rights is about respecting other peoples freedoms and rights just as much as their own.'' In this day and age of acceptance if some one dosn't get it by now there to stupid to ever get it !!! and I think you need to put it down to a case of ''sticks and stones may break my bone but names will never hurt me.'' Dont take it to heart hun just swob them off and leave them in there own little stupid world. Remember enjoy life dont fight it. xxxooo.
    • 308 posts
    September 10, 2009 6:28 PM BST
    Penny,
    There well always be a pee brain out there. We all have run into them, but that's no excuse for their actions. Usually, what I do is agree with them, and surprisingly, they change their attitudes. Then come the questions, which after a few answers, I ask them, tell me, do you think I would choose this type of controversial life style, if there was not something else going on. That usually starts them really thinking. Now, I got him...LOL....then I add, in my boy life, I used to play hockey and kick box. And believe it or not, they usually look at me, and then shake my hand....stunning I must say.
    I have had very few bad encounters. One that I did have, was at a Techno Club. Actually the one I am at in my picture, I was there actually for a fashion show of sorts. But anyhow, someone gave me a hard time, trying to be macho in front of his girl friend, and spit at me...wrong move. I know the owner of this place and all the bouncers, and they always told me if there was any trouble to let them know. Well as a lady should be, I went and got them. After they found him ( he tried to hide, macho guy yes) three big bouncers, grab him by the back of the neck in the bathroom and throw him out literally. As a side note, things have changed, because we could not find him at first, a guy came over that witnessed the event, and told them where he was, and also identified him. So there are good people out there, and I have found believe it or not, that here in the Detroit straight scene, people are very tolerant, if youact and dress appropriately. And most of the time, I much rather be in those settings than at T friendly places.
    Well, hope this helps, it's just some of my experiences.....Tammy