Estrogen basics

• 1912 posts
    November 16, 2009 10:22 PM GMT
    Here is a quick rundown on human estrogen.

First of all estrogen is not one substance, estrogen is the name of a group of substances just as the word transgender covers transsexuals, crossdressers, transvestites and others.

In the human body you have:
    E1, Estrone
    E2, Estradiol
    E3, Estriol

E1 and E3 are weak forms of estrogen, most phytoestrogens mimic estrone, E1. Estradiol, E2, is the estrogen that a woman's ovaries produce. Bio-identical estrogen is estrogen engineered to match a woman's Estradiol. Various techniques are utilized to isolate or modify existing molecular structure in plant cells in order to make bio-identical estrogen. Typically what is used is chemical reactions to isolate or alter, either causing the removal or modification, so the new structure matches what is produced in a woman's body. E3, Estriol is the remnants of estradiol breaking down.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 1017 posts
    November 16, 2009 10:44 PM GMT
    Hi Marsha,

I've only had one experience with hormones:

When I was maybe 14 years old, there was a TV commercial for a product that claimed it contained estrogen. It was either a hand cream or body lotion and I've long ago forgotten what they called it.

I went to the drug store bought some (it was in a light green pump bottle, I remember) and took it home. I squirted out some and rubbed it into my, er... bikini area. God only knows what I thought was going to happen.

Well, I used up the whole bottle and, big surprise, nothing happened. Swore off hormones for life...

(Maybe I should have posted this to Joke of the Day.)

Best,
    Melody