Reflections - What are you thankful for?

• November 25, 2009 6:01 PM GMT

Hi All,
    Here in the U.S. Thanksgiving day is tomorrow. It's usually a time of reflection , turkey, American football, overeating and giving Thanks!!

This last year has had many ups and downs for me. As I sat down to contemplate the year and what I'm thankful for some things came to mind:

* I'm thankful for understanding that the turmoil that was raging inside me for years was simply that I was Michelle and not some other issue.

* I'm thankful that going out into the world as Michelle is no longer an issue. I had been so scared 3 years ago of what others thought and now it's a non-issue.

* I'm thankful for my TW Sisters - You are true sisters and have been very supportive and helped me navigate through different life issues without judging me. (Thank You girls!!!!!)

I saved the biggest one for last. As I was reviewing my companies insurance coverage this morning and signing up for next years coverage there was a big surprise for me!!!

They now cover Transgendered issues and will pay up to $15k USD to assist a transitioning employee!!!! Yes!!!

Now I just hope our pending Government Health Care programs don't mess with my companies gracious coverage plan.

Happy Thanksgiving to my TW Sisters,

MichelleLynn
    • 1912 posts
    November 25, 2009 8:53 PM GMT
    Rarely a day goes by that I don't say "Thank you Lord for the good people in my life." I worried over losing everything when I started my transition nearly 5 years ago. Initially I worried about my wife and family, then about my business which allows me to provide for my family. I was very selective with which customers I told in 2008 and after receiving an overwhelming positive response, I started living my new life as Marsha at the end of 2008 and was telling all my customers in 2009. There have only been a few who could not accept it, but the vast majority have been incredible to me. So I can't thank everyone in my life enough for giving Marsha a chance.

I am also thankful for our new church. After battling Savannah Christian Church for several months over my circumstances, my wife and I have found a church that has fully embraced us and with that we have many new friends.

Of course there is also the usual being thankful for the health of those in my family. It is sad to hear problems many face and in some cases such as a neighbor's daughter losing her life in a horrific auto accident, having your family has just that much more meaning.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 37 posts
    November 26, 2009 2:44 PM GMT
    Not being American, normally I'd pass on by... but...

When you're in a chat with an old friend, and you know she once shared a house with a tranny, and the conversation is coming round to the point where you can open a dialogue, and she says "I try not to be prejudiced but i find it disgusting"

I'm thankful for the long list of friends, on my profile page here, who accept me for the tgirl I am.

And the willpower not to alienate one of the few people I get on quite well with.
    • 1017 posts
    November 25, 2009 7:55 PM GMT
    Hi Michelle,

Wonderful news about your insurance coverage, I'm very glad for you.

As for me, I'm thankful for several things.

I'm thankful for my health, especially my eyesight. I was told by my eye doctor more than twenty years ago that I was going blind. I wear very thick bifocals and have to use a magnifying glass to read or view my computer screen, but this is nothing compared to the alternative.

I'm thankful I was able to take an early retirement almost a decade ago. I have freedom that few folks my age are able to enjoy and I'm very grateful.

I'm thankful I discovered Trannyweb this year. After many years of feeling very alone with my TG issues, I'm very grateful for everyone here for putting up with me.

I'm thankful for my constant companion, Choca. She's an elderly Golden/Lab Retriever mix "puppy" who gives me unconditional love. I've outlived my human family and she is my family.

I feel I'm one lucky girl.

Best,
    Melody

• 2573 posts
    November 26, 2009 3:06 AM GMT
    I am thankful that I have the house to myself for 3 days. Woo Hoo! Metabolic Control, put diet on hold for 48 hours, then resume at Dietcon 4 on Saturday.