Mac Users--I need your help!

• 1083 posts
    January 5, 2010 10:49 PM GMT
    Hi--

I have a late 2008 MacBook. It's really nice, aluminum unibody, and such a joy to work with and from. There is one minor exception...some of you have noticed that my website hasn't been updated lately. There's a reason for that: I can't use my website creation program under Mac.

I enjoyed using CuteSITE Builder 4. It was pretty easy to use. I really don't want to put Windows back on the MacBook just for that one program (well, two--I'd have to have OpenOffice as well).

So I'm looking for a website creation program for Mac that someone has actually used for creating websites. Please don't just give me a list of titles; I can google that myself. I want to see what you have used. (I understand I am going to have to go to each page, copy the HTML, and install it in the program, as there is nothing out there that will read .tlx or .csb files.) iWeb and KomPozer aren't robust enough, unfortunately.

Also--I am looking for an e-book creator for Mac. I am just about done writing fiction short stories, and would like to get them all together and shipped off to Katie to put in the bookstore.

If there really isn't one, then I'll have to reload WIn XP, CuteSITE, OpenOffice, and then an e-book creator. That will eat roughly 50 Gig of a 250 GB hard drive, just for that much.

Thanks in advance,

Mina
    • 1083 posts
    January 6, 2010 1:30 AM GMT
    Melody--

I've seriously considered it. A used XP level unit would work fine for what I need it for.

On the other hand, CuteSITE isn't being made anymore, which also limits what I can add on to it. (Like, say, an RSS feed and video options.)

I won't go to a Vista unit, much less Win 7; my SO has enough issues with her Win 7 unit that I've had to fix. In fact, Vista is why I went Mac to start with. I'm a picky b*tch, and need reliable equipment for work and when I travel. When I had to get a new laptop when my Dell died a little over a year ago, the Mac was a far better choice for me at that time.

Like I said: I could just reload my copy of XP; I can set it to 32 GB and not lose too much room. Still, it's not my first choice. I'd really kind of like to update things.

Speaking of which, I could just rebuild the website, too. Talk about a pain...it's somewhere over 200 pages, and maybe pushing 300 by now.

Okay, now I rambling. I'm off for dinner. Thanks for the input--

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
  • January 6, 2010 4:22 AM GMT
    Hi Minako.
    You might consider splitting you hard drive in half and installing Windows. I have, well a friend did it for me. I now run my MAC with both operating systems, going back and forth between the 2 as needed. I can find out how to do this if you would like to know.
    Hugs.... Samantha
    • 1083 posts
    January 6, 2010 7:18 AM GMT
    Samantha--

I'm learning how to be a Mac tech. I'm studying several books right now, and hope to take some exams and be certified by year's end. A girl has to have some backup skills to keep bread on the table.

I've already played with Boot Camp, and can load a WIndows partition easily, albeit not quickly. (Takes about an hour to partition 32GB, load Win XP, and get things running smoothly.) I just don't want to do that, though. I could also load VM Fusion or Parallels and run Windows in OS X.

What I'm looking for is a Mac based website creator. And yes, I am being very picky...and now you know part of the why. (I didn't want to say anything until I had passed a few exams and was on my way.)

I do appreciate the thought though, hon. Keep the good thoughts coming; we may yet hit an ideal solution.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 1017 posts
    January 5, 2010 11:07 PM GMT
    Hi Mina,

Have you considered just getting a Windows PC to run CUTEsite, Open Office, etc.? These days the prices are so low (like $300 sometimes) for name brand PC's like Dell and HP, way less than buying an external drive for your Mac. You could probably find a good previously owned one for even less and that would leave the MacBook without the disc space the programs would take.

Just a thought,
    Melody