Anyone want to be in a short documentary

• 1 posts
    January 8, 2010 8:15 PM GMT
    Hi. I'm a film student studying in New York and I am looking to find my next documentary subject.

The project is small - the film intended to be purely observational and for research purposes only. As this film will only be screened inside my classroom in America - I am hoping to find someone who might be able to share a double life, or at least feel this is a chance to record their life without the threat of it being leaked.

If anyone has an ordinary dayjob but comes out as a transvestite at night, or if anyone hasn't come out yet to your friends, then I would be very interested in talking to you.

All it would entail would be one day of filming in London next week (11-15th Jan 2010)- during the day at your job, then getting ready for a night out - and then the night out on the town. It would be observational only so no interviews - and the end product would be 5 minutes long and yours for the keeping.

If you think this might be for you, or if you do lead any sort of double life then please do get in contact with me. My name is Leo, my email is [email protected] and I would be very interested to hear your story.

• 734 posts
    January 9, 2010 2:18 AM GMT
    Well, welcome Leo.
    That's an interesting post. You come across as genuine but, tbh, I'd be surprised if you get any takers. That said, I've been surprised before.
    You've set yourself an incredibly tight timescale for locating your subject. Unless, of course, you've been trying elsewhere and failed.
    IMHO the biggest hurdle you've got - apart from your timescale of course - is your chosen subject matter. To find a person who works as one person during the day but is a happy outgoing transvestite at night is going to be a little difficult. For a start, if they're secretive to their friends they're going to be even more so to their work colleagues! I'm not convinced - if that were me - anybody could come up with a plausible cover story for filming me at work in a film I wouldn't allow my colleagues to see. They're going to pester me like mad to have a look at themselves on film!
    You're lucky, I presume, that you're in London. If this was my film school project I'd be trawling all the clubs and pubs favoured by transvestites and talking to them about the project face to face. And, within the remit, allow the project to grow. Seeing how they can fit in with my constructs and how I can fit in with theres. And elasticating the rules as far as I'm able to come up with something a little more edgy and worthy.
    You've got a few days yet, get out there and chat. The internet will let you down on this one...
    Just my view.
    Good luck
    Rae.
    • 1980 posts
    January 9, 2010 1:41 PM GMT
    Hi Leo-

I agree with Rae as far as the time limit you've set yourself and so on. Still, it seems an interesting and worthwhile project, I wish you the best of luck with it. Perhaps when it's completed you could post it here on TW or maybe provide a link. Whoops, never mind, I just reread the portion of your post about the project being shown only to your class.

Oh, and if you'd like to send me a roundtrip ticket, I'd be happy to provide all the evening partying you could film.<G>

Good luck.

Hugs...Joni Mari