NHS Constitution

• 404 posts
    January 16, 2010 3:57 PM GMT
    Hi there,boys and girls,

The consultation phase for the proposed NHS Constitution ends on 5 Feb. 2010. It seems that only 22% of patients are aware of its existence........or that you can comment upon it.Apparently it contains 25 rights for patients,and just to make things even more exciting,the Health Secretary has come up with 7 new "vital and fresh" patient rights.

I suggest that all those of you in the UK take the trouble to explore the following link ,read the Constitution ,and make your comments known to the DH.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/H[...]dex.htm

Ciao

Lynn
    • 2 posts
    May 12, 2010 1:46 PM BST
    hiya lynn, thanks for pulling this in

but i missed it! curious to find out what had become of it i followed the link, to an 'error page'. they don't make this easy do they. dare i ask, any news on what comes out the other end?

meta x
    • 530 posts
    January 16, 2010 7:15 PM GMT
    As expected, dryer than desiccated dust.

I was aware of most of it's contents, but nice to see it consolidated and in writing.

Personally I don't expect to see many changes in operating procedures - the NHS is a large and somewhat immovable object, and the proposed constitution is not an irresistible force.

Even when I have tried to implement some of the rights mentioned, and gone to the extent of taking a formal complaint as far up the line as I could, either extenuating circumstances or something along the lines of 'that is the procedure, it will not be changed' were produced.

It looks good, the sentiments are impressive, and no doubt cost a lot in time and money to produce, maybe it will be implemented, but bottom line I don't see much changing.
  • January 16, 2010 8:58 PM GMT
    it doesn't apply to us...we are mental cases, remember.

A Judicial Review might find a weak link in the PCT's armour but I think there will be clauses such as 'if local funding allows it' etc.
  • May 12, 2010 2:08 PM BST
    There are numerouse cases on record of PCT's being called to account in the High Courts for failing to administer care and treatment in the case of the trangendered. where the PCT's have decided to make up their own minds as to the interpretation of what constitutes GD..GID. and why they should refuse various aspects of treatment in the main Gender corrective surgery. Reading numerous cases, each case has a different slant on why treatment was withheld, Basically the amount of money wasted fighting these cases and subsequent appeals has cost the PCT's 10's of millions of pounds, despite numerous studies and judicial reviews stating its easier and cheaper to deliver what is needed in the way of effective treatment. In fact several PCT's were found to be of the opinion that the type of surgery was distasteful and totally uneccesary.

http://gendersociety.com/[...]729077&

Cristine