Oh well

• 1912 posts
    January 20, 2010 5:05 PM GMT
    Gracie, I didn't realize you were that o............uhm skip that, only a year older than my dad,lol. Based on your various posts here over the years I must say it is great to see you so active. I know people closer to my age that appear to just be sitting home waiting to die because they do so little. I've always labeled your generation the depression era kids. Growing up, you learned what a real days work was and probably didn't realize whether or not you were poor, you learned to just make do. I can just see kids now thinking they must be poor because they only have a 46" HDTV and their friends have 60" HDTVs.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1195 posts
    January 17, 2010 4:47 PM GMT
    Strange but true
    It's "twenty ten" and not "two thousend ten"

I wonder if the kids of today when they're older will refer to the years of the first decade of this century as "back in oh-two."

Oh well possibly I wont be around to find out.
    hugs
    Gracie
  • January 17, 2010 7:00 PM GMT
    Mmmmmm.
    I foresee a big, big problem when we reach 2100.
    As it can't correctely be expressed as "twenty-one-oh-oh" or
    "two- one hundred".
    Total confusion, mass riots, the breakdown of society.
    • 1195 posts
    January 20, 2010 12:51 AM GMT
    Janis
    Do you remember the words from a song "In the year 'twenty five, twenty five'?"
    I know for sure (as the kids say)I won't be around but I'm sure they'll work it out.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1912 posts
    January 20, 2010 1:42 AM GMT
    I remember way back in elementary school, uhmm, must I admit the early 60's, one of the kids father was working on science stuff for what we could expect in the year 2000. We were shown a film with hovercraft type vehicles. You might remember the Jetson's cartoon, it wasn't that space age but getting there. I think the idea of the space age stuff had to do with the first man in space and President Kennedy's desire to put a man on the moon. I think we ended up far from that although with computers and other electronics we have made vast gains.

I know that is a little different than the original post but it kind of fits when you think about future years versus past years. We saw the year 2000 as being long off, maybe something none of us would see. Remember we were just kids so the full concept of addition probably hadn't kicked in.

I hate to say this but my generation will probably eventually be lumped in with the others of the 1900's. That probably doesn't sound that bad but think about how we look at the 1800's. That is old stuff, lol. Lots of things like music are referred to by decade and I see that continuing for the remainder of time. However I think there are limits to the decade thing, maybe 40 years. Beyond that is really old, lol.

Geez I'm starting to feel old,
    Marsha
  • January 20, 2010 5:58 AM GMT
    Mary I've heard that song before.
    I think they predict the end will come in "forty-fahv-teinn"
    So nothing for us to worry about then!
    And yes Marsha Ann we used to get "The World Of The Future"
    films as well.
    Unlimited free energy, hunger a thing of the past, disease conquered,
    beautiful looking people flying about using backpack helicopters (I just made that one up, I've always wanted a backpack helicopter).
    These films were usually shown as shorts at the cinema, and they were always from the USA which to me growing up in the North of Scotland seemed to be like some magical heaven, I completely and utterly believed the USA was populated by cowboys and indians, gangsters, pirates, and soldiers.
    It really was my "Somewhere over the rainbow".
    • 1195 posts
    January 20, 2010 4:05 PM GMT
    Janis
    Both you and Marsh Ann are just "spring chickens"
    You must remember I was pre TV. My brothers and sister and I would go to the Saturday matinee and see - Buck Roger in the 25th Century" - ray guns, rocket ships and the beloved flying belts. Buck was way ahead; he was my hero. Alas Buster Crabb who played the part has departed.
    By the way I don't have a generation to belong to- I was born during the depression. In 1932 very few babys were born -so we were just skipped over. No label. The "Beat Generation" (Jack Karowak) was too old and the "Baby Boomers" were too young.
    I haven't figured out who are "Generation X"
    Somewhere along the line I was given the information that every ten years is a generation. I guess it has something to do with our cencus taking every ten years.

hugs
    Gracie
    • 364 posts
    January 20, 2010 8:32 PM GMT
    Active is the key word, as you say, Marsha. It makes you feel young and think young. I am still doing charity work and any spare time after household chores is spent in the town sipping a coffee and watching the world go by. I also travel a lot. and exercise.
    • 1195 posts
    January 21, 2010 3:39 PM GMT
    Joanne
    Since we've gone over to talking about things past - you are almost grown up to me.
    Sounds like you stay busy - that's the key.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 181 posts
    January 22, 2010 5:02 PM GMT
    Anyone in love with Prototype automobiles needs to get the current issue of Collectable Automobile Magazine . It features the Ford products of the late 1950's . Marsha mentioned her experences of the Jetson's and school science . Ford di do a "hover - craft type car in 1960 as the Leva- Car . Meanwhile, a model comapny did that very model in 1-20th scale complete with a piece of rubber tubing one blew into to make it hover about .
    Finding such an example today might prove difficult as the model was never re- issued from it's one time run back in 1961. You can search the model sites , but one today will be an expensive addition . Ellen
    • 1017 posts
    January 20, 2010 5:00 PM GMT
    Hi Mary Grace,

I'm a little bit closer to your age. You were about 18 when I was born.

Buster was great in Buck Rogers. I saw serials on TV in the 1950's. Also liked him in the Billy the Kid westerns from the '40s, cheap, utterly not historic, but fun. My all time favorite, though, were the Flash Gordon serials. Maybe because I found Ming, the Merciless was a better villain than Killer Kane. Maybe also because Alex Raymond's strip was so beautiful, while Dick Calkins' art was a little clunky for my taste.

Today's technology lets me actually own copies of both the serials and the strips.

Sorry to deviate from the thread, but your post pressed my nostalgic geek button.

Best,
    Melody