The Two-Spirit World

• 448 posts
    January 24, 2010 7:47 PM GMT
    The Two-Spirit World existed in Native American culture. It is now often referred to by the modern term Berdache, that is a homosexual or transvestite (what we would recognise as transgender) male assuming the role, status and dress of a woman. Of course, attitudes toward sexual difference could vary from tribe to tribe. However, one example of how a child's future role within the tribe could be determined was by ritual. If a boy had shown an aversion to traditional boyhood activity and games, or had displayed overtly feminine behaviour then a ceremony would be organised. One such ceremony was to gather the tribe around, a male bow and a female basket would be placed amid some brush that would then be set alight. The boy would be told to rescue just one item from the fire. If he emerged with the basket this would determine his future status. He would enter the two-spirit world and would be raised in the appropriate way. He would be taught the life and skills of a woman. However, he would still be expected to know the life of a man. He would still learn how to hunt and to fight. No doubt he would be ribbed for being different, boys will be boys after all, but he was never chastised for being so. It was understood that it was just the way he was. He was a respected and fully-integrated member of the tribe. Often the Winkte (broadly speaking a homosexual or effeminate man) would be considered holy (a Wakan) and be trained as a Shamen, and would often be present at the birth of a child. So whilst the act of homosexuality might be frowned upon his otherness was not. Indeed, to sleep with a Winkte could be considered as fortunate for they were believed to possess the power of transformation, and it is known that one of the legendary Crazy Horses's closest friends from boyhood was a Winkte.

I believe that the two-spirit world grants us a unique perspective on life that is denied to most. Why then do so many of us deny it to ourselves. Why do we disavow this uniqueness in our headlong rush to embrace the one at the expense of the other. Just as our perceived gender we consider the determining factor in our lives so also do we fall into the trap of using our sexual proclivities as a character reference. After all, though we may think about it a lot, and regardless of personal levels of stamina and expertise, for most of us it only takes up a tiny proportion of our lives. Nobody knows what I enjoy between the sheets. That is something to be shared between two people not the whole world, and it shouldn't be used as an indicator of my personality, character, or value to the society I live in. To do this I believe devalues us as human beings, and devalues our community. So why do we do it?

In the main we are insecure. We live a febrile existence, often in fear, moral more than physical, cloaked in secrecy and prey to those who would exploit us. For that reason we are desperate to gain the acceptance of others and too readily allow ourselves to fit the stereotypes of a hostile world. First and foremost we need to understand ourselves. We need to know who we are before we rush into becoming what we want to be. The simple fact is that we were all born and raised as men. That is nothing to be ashamed of. We should embrace that aspect of our lives and take it with us. It is, after all, what made us. It is neither to be feared or hated. This is the two-spirit world, the one where we have a unique insight into multiple lives. If more could embrace this then perhaps less would be left in despair and suicidal, and we could at last be free of the persecutions of the doctor, the therapist, the politician, and the bigot. I am a two-spirit person and I am proud of that.
    • 157 posts
    January 24, 2010 8:01 PM GMT
    Porscha

Nicely done! I think the Two-Spirit view is a good way of looking at transgender. I know I see myself as a blend of masculine and feminine, and I wouldn’t want to give up one for the other.

Jeri
    • 1912 posts
    January 24, 2010 9:00 PM GMT
    Porscha, as always I admire your thought and writing. I have heard about the Two-spirit before and it is always nice to get refreshed on it, and in such a well expressed way. You made an excellent point about us, at least I assume you meant MTF's, being born male. I think we have all heard someone talk in disdain about their male life, however I have often said about my life that I have no regrets. I had ups and downs like anyone else, but I have plenty of wonderful memories to go along with that period in my life. I see no reason to pretend it never happened. Is the cup half empty or half full? I choose to be positive about my life and where it is going. I also choose to control my own life rather than to blame others for what maybe hasn't gone right in my life. I think that is exactly what the American Indians figured out with Two-spirit, let him choose or direct his own life because that will bring the greatest contribution to the community in one's own special way. Yes we are special, it just takes some a little more time to realize it.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    January 25, 2010 1:13 AM GMT
    Hiya Porscha, Nice post. I think looking at it that way will help some people accept who they are and find some dignity and freedom. Take care. love Penny x
    • 2573 posts
    January 25, 2010 9:16 AM GMT
    Two-spirit is a term created in 1990 " ...during the third annual inter-tribal Native American/First Nations gay and lesbian conference" in Winnipeg, CAN. Not every tribe embraced such behavior but it commonly was. I have considered myself two-spirit for some years, though I am not Native American...It is a calque of the Ojibwa phrase niizh manidoowag (two spirits)....These individuals were sometimes viewed in certain tribes as having two spirits occupying one body. Their dress is usually a mixture of traditionally male and traditionally female articles. "

This link actually lists roles for Two-Spirit people that vary by tribe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w[...]-spirit

I am a healer and included spirituality in my work some years ago. I gather my own plants traditionally. I make no pretense of being a traditional Native American medicine person, however. My grandmother, however, was a spiritual healer in the UK. My mother had some of her talents. What I knew I had I wished I did not. It just is what it is. Be cautious of those professing to be what they are not and be cautious of the books they write. Native American spirituality is not anything like Western Religions. It has some similarities to Eastern Religions. It requires a totally different outlook on the world. I had some of that outlook as a child and could not make sense of the world as it was taught to me by my society. It is not something you pick up a book, read and understand. It takes years to undo the work of Western society. I have an Ojibwa friend who doesn't have a clue. He follows his Viking part. Much of it is "that which cannot be understood." So please, do not go out hunting for a mentor to teach you to be a medicine man or shaman in 15 easy lessons. Anyone who asks for money for ceremonies or teaching is not legitimate.