Questions, questions...

• 1 posts
    February 8, 2010 2:36 PM GMT
    It would mean a lot to me if someone would take the time to read the whole post.

So, some cultural commentators, like Chris Rock, Aaron McGruder, and Strom Thurmand, have drawn much controversy by positing a schism in African American culture, between "black people" and "niggers". Essentially, the premise is that the majority of black Americans are just black people, doing their jobs, living their lives, loving their kids, and trying to improve their lives against rough odds. "Niggers", on the other hand, are the wilfully ignorant and proudly violent thugs committing their crimes, wasting their lives, dealing their drugs, and trying to get their bling and cheddar (I’m not sure what those things are, but I'm told by black people that they are important to niggers).

Now, this sort of polarized model seems to ignore the complexity, variation, and fluctuation inherent to the human condition, as if any given black man or woman must fall into either one camp or the other. The point is, much as I embrace the unreasonable expectation that all women either be demure virgins or deplorable whores, I've decided to buy into the idea that this might not be the case. So then...

Could there be a parallel premise between transsexuals and "trannies"?

Imagine a woman, we'll call her "Brenda", who was biologically born a man. She is beautiful, passionate, intelligent and resolute. The long, painful struggle of her transformation has taken her from confused, ashamed, and fearful to confident, aware, and fulfilled. Her look is tasteful, emphasizing her natural femininity, finally free to be seen. She is a warmly sexual being, but doesn't have to be. She is love, but doesn't need to be. Her relationships with men are as a woman relates to men; she seeks balance, respect, and genuine attraction. She has no need to hide her background, and the men who deserve her respond to her genuineness. She is a transsexual.

Now, imagine a she-male, we'll call her Trixie, who is a pre-op who hasn't yet saved up the money for the procedure, mostly because she blows her hand-job money on recreational drug use and designer clothes that she lacks the aesthetic sense to choose or wear fashionably. She is vaguely hot in a vilely trampy way, but lacks the self-respect to carry herself as anything other than a self-hating piece of meat. She despises the men she services in her two-door Saturn parked behind the dumpster near the back entrance to the Sbarro's at the ghetto mall. Her process of transformation has been superficial, merely reflecting the worsening of the degraded, angry, vapid person she always has been. She has no idea who she is, and she is so terrified to know that she delights in pretending to be something else, masquerading as a woman with men too stupid to notice that her bulge is bigger than theirs until the vengefully vitriolic moment that the man realizes he's inside another man's head, past his lips...and he's so close that he can't stop himself from finishing.

So, I have two questions: One, for those of you who know transsexual culture, is there a spectrum like this, and Two, how do I make sure I get Brenda, not Trixie?
    • 1912 posts
    February 8, 2010 3:21 PM GMT
    I would have to say that what you stated does fall on the transgender spectrum, however I don't see them as the only points on that spectrum. You are also asking a question that baffles me, "how do I make sure I get Brenda, not Trixie? " I know the Trixie's of the world exist because I personally know one. Why someone becomes that kind of person sure boggles my mind. Do these people choose to be that way? Are they really transsexuals as the one I know says she is? Are they self diagnosed? Did they create their own fantasy world in which to live in? Did they have all the right intentions when they first started but because of society and family not accepting this person, they resorted to survival mode?

I believe your definition of Brenda sounds like a transsexual, however you make it sound like she is the perfect woman of higher social stature when the fact is TS's can be found anywhere on the social ladder. Your definition of Trixie is more in line with the diagnosis of a transvestite with a sexual fetish but could also simply be a gay drag queen or sadly a TS shunned by family and society. So basically you placed Brenda at the top of society and Trixie at the bottom. I see some bias there that maybe you believe someone of higher stature either can't or shouldn't become one of "them." I do believe we make the bed we sleep in. I know many of us face serious hardships and as I stated above, have to go into survival mode just to stay alive and they should not be condemned, but I believe the drugs and lifestyle you described for Trixie can result in forcing one to survival mode. The only way to keep those who don't want that lifestyle out of it is to gain better acceptance from society. And that is the real answer to your question "how do I make sure I get Brenda, not Trixie? ", gaining society's acceptance.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 157 posts
    February 8, 2010 6:28 PM GMT
    Hans

There is always a spectrum, but it is not a single spectrum - all people are somewhere in a multitude of spectrums. The primary one you brought up is spectrum of appearance or presentation that suggests that everyone with that presentation is the same. You intermingle that spectrum with ones of intelligence, prosperity, and position on the path – like they are all aspects of a single line. The Trixie you berate today may become the Brenda you are looking for in a few months, but you would not know because you were not looking at the person inside only what she appears to be on the outside.

Men also fall along a spectrum from loving and gentle supporters, to predatory and abusive users. If you make sure you are worthy of a Brenda you might find a Trixie that surprises you when she comes into full bloom.

Well that's my 2 cents.

Jeri
    • 871 posts
    February 9, 2010 7:10 PM GMT
    Hiya,

A “Brenda” may come across as sensual and stylish with decorum but I’ve seen a few who are conceited and pretentious and generally ugly inside. I’m sure there are lots of “Trixies” out there who have hearts of gold and would perform actions to better others with no personal gain.

Personally, I've never really liked the social scale idea. Would it be more virtuous to see everyone at the same level and instead view people with different attributes that are likeable and dislikeable? You could have a scale in mind to how much you liked someone or disliked over others but I would think that as a personal preference instead of a reflection of society. After all, isnt what makes someone better or worse a matter of opinion?

Answering the question, "How can you make sure you get a Brenda instead of a Trixie?" I would say... Lots of different apple pies taste differently, you need to try a few to find out which one you prefer.

All the best
    Penny
  • February 9, 2010 11:54 PM GMT
    I've never heard of any of these "cultural commentators".
    Maybe I don't get out enough.
    But I did used to go out with a girl called Trixie.
    • 2358 posts
    February 8, 2010 4:01 PM GMT
    Marsha

how profound, erudite and sensible. Lots of Trixies end up as Brenda's, its not always the way people get there, its the fact they got there at all.

Cristine.
    • 1017 posts
    February 10, 2010 12:18 AM GMT
    Hi Janis,

Chris Rock, Aaron McGruder, and Strom Thurmond are not really "Cultural Commentators".

Chris Rock is an African American Comedian - funny, but no Richard Pryor.

Aaron McGruder is an African American cartoonist who syndicates a newspaper comic strip called "The Boondocks".

Strom Thurmond was a long serving U.S. Senator and former Governor of the state of South Carolina. Originally a Democrat, he became a major player in the "Dixiecrat" movement that were determined to preserve segregation between whites and blacks in the American South. He eventually became a Republican. After his death, it was revealed that despite his blatant racism, he had an African American mistress and fathered a biracial daughter.

Hope that helps,
    Melody