Interesting quote

• February 18, 2010 4:04 PM GMT
    Saw this in coverage of New York Fashion Week (yes, I read about that stuff) from designer Diane von Furstenburg. (I've already made it part of my signature):

"I've always wanted to live a man's life in a woman's body."

Sort of fits a lot of us here, doesn't it?

Emily
    • 871 posts
    February 18, 2010 6:42 PM GMT
    Hiya,

I guess its all down to their interpretation of what they mean by a mans' life?

With todays equality I would say there is little difference between the life styles of male and females where career choices, pasttimes and recreational pursuits are concerned.

Men cant have babies and many women chose not to so its posible to have no difference there.

If living a mans' life entails not having manicures, pedicures, eyebrow shaping, mud baths, face packs, waxing legs, massages, taking time and care over ones appearance and generally lots of pampering, im sorry, i'll stick with the womans' life. Not saying men dont do the previously listed, its just my perception of what men tend not to do.

I do see plenty of women walking around the city wearing unfitting jeans and grey drab unfitting t-shirts, hair a mop, no makeup, unibrow and mostache to match. I guess they have successfully chosen the mans' life. Im not saying all men wear unfitting jeans and drab t-shirts, its just my perception of a typical male.

I guess if someone wants to live a mans life then its a matter of choice.

I have to say, the statement "I've always wanted to live a man's life in a woman's body." doesnt fit my ideal.
    Love
    Penny
    x
  • February 18, 2010 7:14 PM GMT
    Initially, I posted that as sort of lighthearted--nothing too serious.

Remember, this was a comment by a genetic woman who is also a powerful executive. I read her "man's life" comment as meaning one in which all the professional and personal choices historically denied to women were open to her. Despite all the advances women have made, I don't think we've reached true equality yet. The comment as I saw it was more about that than about fashion, childbearing etc. It was about empowerment and choices. But maybe I'm reading way too much into what was one line in a marketing brochure.

As an aside, her dresses are fabulous, too.

• 871 posts
    February 18, 2010 10:45 PM GMT
    Hiya Emily,

I’m sorry if I, I cant speak for others, don’t understand your perspective. Maybe reading the article the statement refers to would give me a better understanding of what you meant.

As you might appreciate, girls like me, my life has been embroiled with maleness, so I take every step I can to depart myself with anything male like or male in nature. The last thing I want to do is live a life anything like what I perceive a males' life to be. It is probably quite the opposite for a career woman who is continually battling a male dominated world for her own piece of liberty. I wish her continuing success in her career.

Love
    Penny
    x
    • 1912 posts
    February 19, 2010 12:27 AM GMT
    You have to kind of wonder what context she meant that comment in. It would be fun to hear her elaborate on it. She may have just meant that it would be nice to be taken seriously more often or she might admire how simple it is for a guy to put himself together for the day instead of what many women go through.

As for Emily's question "Sort of fits a lot of us here, doesn't it?" I would have to say without a doubt there are some that fit that very well. But hey, if they are happy doing their own thing, good deal. If they are doing it only to yank our chain, @#$% em, lol.

Hugs,
    Marsha
  • February 19, 2010 12:51 AM GMT
    I used to see myself at one time as a boy doing a bad job of being a girl (never ever could bring myself to say man). I was never happier than the day I saw myself as a girl doing a bad job of being a boy.
  • February 19, 2010 4:22 PM GMT
    Lucy:

Regarding your final comment: it's just like a family then! I love being in a group that feels like we're all sisters.

Emily
    • 1652 posts
    February 18, 2010 5:23 PM GMT
    Maybe it does fit a lot of us here, Emily.
    Personally, I've alwys wanted to live a woman's life in a woman's body.
    So now, I do.
    xx
    • 2358 posts
    February 18, 2010 5:48 PM GMT
    Ditto Lucy, but its also a sad fact a lot of women in TW are condemmed to living a womans life in a mans body for one reason or another.

Cristine
    • 1017 posts
    February 19, 2010 1:11 AM GMT
    Hi Lady Hecate,

Amen!

Best,
    Melody
    • 1652 posts
    February 19, 2010 2:52 AM GMT
    I imagine Diane von Furstenburg’s comment was a tongue in cheek reference to the grass being greener…
    Perhaps there are instances where it is actually true, or perhaps it is just perceived as such. Many businesswomen complain that men have it easier, and that they as women have an inherent disadvantage.
    Women have traditionally been under the thumb of men since time immemorial. Men can get away with behaviour for which women would be frowned upon. I’m guessing the comment is based somewhere along those lines.
    Here lies our unique perspective…
    We know that it’s no picnic being a man, some of us know that being a woman living a woman’s life is much preferable, that all the advantages men are supposed to have are accompanied by the many pitfalls and pressures and contradictions. If you’re a woman who was raised as a boy you know the real truth – being a guy sucks! Natal women don’t know that, some think the grass really is greener. And some I’m sure just like to perpetuate the myth, even if said in jest, that boy’s have it easier (thereby insinuating martyrdom for all womankind).
    Of course, some of us here like to have their feet on both sides of the fence, and I’m sure there are advantages and disadvantages on each side. But like Penny, I don’t want any of the stereotypical male stuff. I can be an assertive, modern woman without being at all masculine. Unlike Diane, I could never even joke about it, because I know of the misery…
    And sorry Emily, I know your post was meant to be as light-hearted as the quote itself. But you can’t make a light-hearted comment around here without someone, or everyone, taking a serious perspective and picking it to bits!
    It’s just our way of having fun.
    xx