DErma Rolling and Skin Needling

• February 26, 2010 7:00 PM GMT
    Has any one here tried either of these procedures? If so, how are the results?

Jennifer
  • February 26, 2010 8:34 PM GMT
    Sure Melody, I've been doing some research.. It helps build collagen and I've seen some good results treating wrinkles and apparently firms sagging skin too. It's also used to remove scar tissue and reducing the size of pores. Results can be seen in a month or two.

Angelina Jolie uses the technique and her skin is flawlessly breautiful. It's a somewhat newly discovered ancient technique.

Some ladies do this themselves, but it does sound scary - so I've found a dermatologist with experience and will try the technique on an old leg scar from getting spiked playing baseball - before I try my face.

They are 2 different techniques with a similar principle. Derma-rolling is used overall on face, neck and elsewhere, and needling is used for specific areas like wrinkles and scars. One or the other can work wonders with old acne scars if anyone here has that problem.

These techniques also break down the "Zone of Stasis" that forms around scars and helps topical products penetrate deeper into the skin. I plan using this with Copper Peptides myself.

I'll post a link soon with more detail, I'm still learning...hoping someone here can provide info as well..

Jennifer
  • February 26, 2010 9:09 PM GMT
    I will Melody, I'm familiar with the spooky looking devise you described. If this works and I properly learn the technique, I might buy one for myself.

Melody, I think needling would work wonderfully for your problem, especially if you use it with Copper Peptides. I suggest needling if you have isolated scars...

Strange as it may sound, the needling process is similar to tatooing, only without the ink. After being tatooed, some people became amazed that old scars had disappeared, and people started to make a connection, therefore rediscovering an ancient principle. As you know, Angelina Jolie has tatoos - maybe that's how she became aware of the benifits?

If you can't find a dermatologist, call a few tatoo parlors and see if they are familiar with the benefits of skin needling...try it out first in a safe location.

Intereting...

Jennifer
  • February 27, 2010 8:15 PM GMT
    Hi Joni

I've scheduled an appointment for Monday to begin the process (first on my leg) and will be learning more. I'll keep you updated on this thread with my findings.

I'd post a link to threads in another forum that discusses these techniques and the results those women are achieving, but I'm not sure if that would be permitted here...however, the name of the forum is "Skin Care Talk"

Jennifer
  • March 2, 2010 4:43 AM GMT

I had my Skin Needling appointment today with a lady that uses the same technique to apply permanent make-up. She has 12 years experience with this technique and uses an electronic needle similar to tattoo needles. She needles her own skin occasionally and is flawlessly beautiful and she easily looked 25 years younger than her stated age. So, with her suggestion = I placed myself under her care and also let her work on some lines and wrinkles on my face as well as the old leg scar. She was so kind and understanding I could easily have fallen in love with my next heartbeat at any moment.

Although it sounds painful, it wasn’t bad and the whole treatment took less than 1 hour. It was also very inexpensive ($100) compared to other more invasive treatments.

First, she rubbed a topical anesthesia on the specific areas requiring work and let it soak in for about 10 minutes while we talked. Then she used a tool to carefully soften, massage and open the skin. Finally, she pulled out the electronic needle and began penetrating my skin. I turned her loose to needle anywhere she felt could use the help. The only pain I felt occurred while she needled my nasolabial folds and a wrinkle near the outside of my lip. She also needled some small crow’s feet near my outer eyes, but it was painless. The needling on my leg was also painless.

She told me that I’ll look a little worse for 2 days then return to normal. In about a month I should start noticing improvement, and the improvement will continue for up to a year. She wants to see me again in 6 weeks (yippee!) for an evaluation and perhaps another treatment.

I won’t suffer any downtime, but should avoid any topical applications for 2 days and only use a moisturizer. She also instructed me to keep the needled areas clean for a couple days with a special moisturizing astringent she provided. Of course, sunscreen is also necessary – but I use that already.

I can’t recommend the results yet, but I’m excited with the prospects. So if you have any concerns with lines, wrinkles, scars, or old acne depressions – find someone you trust and is familiar with the benefits and give it a try. Fresh from my procedure, the areas that received the needle don’t look too bad, it’s not very painful, and it’s relatively inexpensive.

I’ll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Jennifer

This deserves it’s own thread, but I have the info handy so I'll include it here:

We also discussed the benefits of LED light treatment, and I’m scheduling an appointment with one of her friends for next week.

Summary of benefits of LED light treatment for specific problems

LED COLOUR NANOMETERS APPLICATIONS
    VIOLET 400nm
    - Antibacterial
    - Psoriasis
    - Dermatitis
    - Vitiligo
    - Acne, oily skin

BLUE 490nm
    - Antibacterial
    - Attacks current Acne outbreaks
    - Soothes sebaceous glands
    - Helps alleviate Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.)

GREEN 525nm
    - Calms red or inflamed skin
    - Broken red capillaries
    - Rosacea
    - Fading pigmentation and age spots
    - Lessens erythema following treatments and procedures

YELLOW/
    AMBER green and red combined
    - Tightens and tones skin
    - Attacks acne on a deeper level which help to prevent future acne outbreaks
    - Reducing photoaging, pigmentation and age spots
    - Reduce fine lines and wrinkles

RED 650nm (This is the procedure I’ve scheduled for next week to restore collagen)
    - Collagen stimulation and production
    - Increased circulation and cell repair
    - Wound healing
    - Scar reduction
    - Reduce inflammation of sebaceous glands
    - Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
    - Skin rejuvenation

INFRARED
    (handheld attachment only) 850nm
    - Deeper penetration than red light
    - Increased wound healing
    - Increased scar reduction
    - Muscle healing
    - Stimulate fibroblasts and collagen production
    - Increased circulation

Sapphire Microdermabrasion and LED Phototherapy Solutions ? Sapphire Photonlite - affordable, profitable phototherapy equipment.

Good Luck,
    Jennifer

• 308 posts
    March 4, 2010 9:22 PM GMT
    Your a very brave lady Jennifer,
    I am watching this with very special interest. This might be something I will try, before going to see the cosmetic surgeon for touch ups.
    Did she have any idea about your skin improvements in regards to smoothness.
    Tammy
  • March 4, 2010 9:54 PM GMT
    Tammy,

The lady that treated me had flawlessly beautiful tight skin with tiny pores. She uses the needling process and LED lights herself (she doesn’t do derma-rolling and prefers the lights) – I’d assumed she was in her 30’s, but she told me she was 55. She showed me a spot on her cheek that she swore used to be a scar and it was completely un-noticeable. Listening to her advise gave me full confidence (it was easy to be brave in her hands) in this technique and I’m learning a lot. I’m happy to have found this person and I'm now anxious to try the LED lights next week.

I would definitely recommend the process, but please shop around to find someone with experience and you feel personally comfortable with.

The good news is that it’s relatively non-invasive and reasonably priced. Therefore, it’s worth trying this first. I’ll provide an update after the LED experience (might require a series of treatments), and relate the progress…It may take a couple months to see initial results, and a bit longer before final results.

Skin needling is good for wrinkles, lines, scars - isolated areas of imperfection + the lights help the regenerative process. I'll also be using the LED lights to build collagen to tighten my skin.

She believes derma-rolling is helpful also, but prefers LED lights (see list above) for general skin corrections. In my case, she doesn't think I need derma-rolling or surgery - a little needling + LED should be all I require.

I’ll also start a thread to share opinions on non-prescription topicals that may be used with these treatments.

Good Luck - looking at you, I doubt you need any help at ALL!

Jennifer
    • 1017 posts
    February 26, 2010 7:22 PM GMT
    Hi Jennifer,

I've never heard of either. Can you give a brief explanation? (I ask this with some reservation....needles, yeech!)

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    February 26, 2010 8:58 PM GMT
    Hi Jennifer,

Thanks, like I said this is entirely new to me.

I did a Google search, too. One article which mentioned Angelina Jolie had a drawing of a device that looked a bit like a pizza cutter with a few rows of tiny needles instead of a blade. Sort of reminded me of a similar S&M device one of my kinkier friends had. (She also had what she called "Vampyre Gloves" which similarly had small spikes on the palm and inside of the fingers.)

Please let us know what you find out if you try it. I have a couple of facial scars I'd like to make less obvious, even if it would involve a bit of needle poking...

Best,
    Melody
    • 1980 posts
    February 27, 2010 7:45 PM GMT
    Hi Jennifer-

I'm not sure how useful you will find this, but I had a friend who was having needling done to deal with old acne scars. She was having it done by a professional makeup artist who had done permanent eyeliner for her which is how the tatooing and needling came into the picture. She, my ex-friend, that is, had about four sessions done before she moved, as far as I could tell there was some improvement to her complexion, though I don't know whether she continued with it or not and what the final longterm results were since we're no longer in touch.

My personal feeling is that if I had facial scarring that couldn't be hidden with makeup it would be worth a try if done by a professional with experience in the technique. Good luck.

Hugs...Joni Mari