recipe thread?

• February 27, 2010 8:00 PM GMT
    Does anyone have any favorite recipes they’d like to share? Healthy ones would be great, but anything yummy would be welcome.

Jennifer

Yipee, I'm now A "Lady in Waiting"
  • February 28, 2010 2:01 PM GMT
    I love cooking because I love food. I'm a bit of a pig actually. My older sister says "If she won't eat it then it's probably not fit for human consumption!" (Thanks June).
    Oh and Jennifer congratulations on becoming a "lady" (and a very pretty one). Do we have to walk backwards bowing as we leave the room now?
    • 105 posts
    February 28, 2010 7:18 PM GMT
    Quick and Easy Chocolate Cake - no mixing bowl required

Ingredients:

6oz plain cooking chocolate
    6oz butter
    6oz Demerara sugar
    half a pint of milk
    12oz plain flour
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda

Put the chocolate, butter, sugar and milk in a large saucepan and warm slowly over a low heat until the butter and chocolate have completely melted.

Remove from heat and let the mixture stand for five minutes.

When cooled, whisk in the eggs, then the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to creamy consistency, pour into a greased 9" round baking tin and cook at 180 degrees for fifty to sixty minutes.

Hugs,

Judith

• February 28, 2010 7:31 PM GMT
    Thanks Janis, Being from the UK, you would know better than I, but isn't the bowing, curtseying and walking backards stuff reserved only for the Queen and her Mum? If not, you yourself are a Baroness...therefore, I shall curtsey to you.

Jennifer
  • March 1, 2010 5:20 AM GMT
    So the internet is now a health food fanatic. This is scary. How does it know?
    My recipe is for that good old traditional Sottish favourite, "Deep fried Mars Bar". Coat a Mars Bar in batter and pop into boiling fat until crispy then eat. You should be actually able to sense your cholesterol level increasing. I know people who actually eat stuff like this along with chips (French fries).
    • 33 posts
    March 2, 2010 6:06 PM GMT
    Janis,
    ACK...I felt my arteries hardening just from reading that recipe and I think I gained a pound. I can barely look at sweets because of my meds, which all have that wonderful side effect of weight gain on them *SIGH*. I'm in a constant battle here. Well, I will contribute to the thread in one aspect. A great way to brown ground chuck or ground whatever and make it nice, tender and fluffy is to use alcohol as a tenderizer,not for the cook *sheesh*, for the meat. My favorite is using tequila, use the cheap stuff so you won't be tempted to tenderize the cook any. It leaves only a little bit of flavor which is really not unpleasant at all and all of the alcohol is boiled off so it works out well.

Michelle
  • March 2, 2010 9:22 PM GMT
    Here's a simple but very tasty one for chicken saltimbocca:

In a saute pan, heat oil. Dredge boneless chicken breasts in flour mixed with salt and pepper. Over medium high heat, cook the chicken until almost done (about 5 minutes a side.) Sprinkle with thyme, then layer a good prosciutto and mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken. Cover the pan until the cheese just melts. Serve with a green salad and rice and a good dry white wine. Heaven inside 20 minutes.

How do you get to be a lady?

Emily

• 364 posts
    March 2, 2010 9:47 PM GMT
    Janis

When I was living in Scotland many years ago the fish and chip shops were serving fried pies and chips. Has this changed ?
  • March 3, 2010 1:52 PM GMT
    Lucy:

Sage is good: I've used that many times, too.

Emily
    • 1652 posts
    February 27, 2010 10:48 PM GMT
    You're on my wavelength today, Jennifer; two threads in a row on my favourite subjects - food and music, (If music be the food of love...)
    It’d be great to share recipes, I’m always looking for new ideas, I will get back to you on that when I have time, I’m really hoping other people will take an interest in this!
    xx
    • 2358 posts
    February 28, 2010 12:04 PM GMT
    Somthing I invented always goes down well at dinner parties.

Boned top leg of lamb, Layered with coarsley chopped apricots a sprinkling of pine nuts, rolled, smeared with dijon mustard and honey and roasted. Served with baked pears and Anya potatoes with a red wine and blackcurrant gravy.

Half the fun of cooking is experimenting, be prepared for the odd disaster.

Cristine
    • 1017 posts
    February 28, 2010 9:09 PM GMT
    Hi Jennifer,

I'm spending this Sunday afternoon frying boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (healthy, probably not, yummy, definitely) My local high end grocery store had a sale and they were only US$1.67 a pound so I bought about 14 lbs.

This isn't really a recipe, more of a technique. I fry up a bunch of fajita fries til they are really, really crispy and then break them up in the food processor and use them in place of bread crumbs when I dredge them in buttermilk. Gives the chicken a Southwest flavor.

The dog and I are eating a couple of them as I fry. All the rest will get frozen for adding to her dog food dinners later on. She's going to eat well for a good long time.

Best,
    Melody

• 1980 posts
    March 1, 2010 12:01 AM GMT
    Hi Girls-

<LOL>, well, I tried to post my recipe for Southwestern Style Pork and Sweet Potato Stew, but the auto-censor (bless its tiny little brain) wouldn't let me and said YOUR POST CONTAINS UNACCEPTABLE CONTENT. So now it's a judge on America's Worst Cooks or something.

Honestly, I've served this recipe to lots of people including a couple of my dear old aunties and they never found any of the content objectionable. The recipe certainly doesn't call for a nice, thick **** or a steaming hot **** dripping with its own natural juices. Anyway, if anyone is interested, please PM me and I'll send it along and you can decide if any of the ingredients are objectionable for yourselves.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1017 posts
    March 2, 2010 6:51 PM GMT
    Hi Michelle,

I haven't cooked anything using Tequila, but I have used Bourbon, White Wine, Red Wine and Beer (not at the same time, lol)

One caution: if someone is trying cooking with alcohol make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy as it is very flammable if you are working over an open flame or burner.

Best,
    Melody
    • 1652 posts
    March 2, 2010 10:28 PM GMT
    Emily - how do you get to be a lady? Finishing school, sweetie! I love saltimbocca, but I’d always use sage.
    Joanne - yes things have changed in Scotland, they’ve gone all modern and do deep-fried pizza now.
    xx
    • 2627 posts
    March 3, 2010 12:28 AM GMT
    Emily B
    It goes by the number of post you've made.