Way over the top

• 1912 posts
    March 10, 2010 6:17 PM GMT
    First off I would like to apologize to everyone who was offended by my remarks in the Michelle Hart Column thread and that probably means just about everyone. Most who have known me for sometime know that I have some pretty strong beliefs and will stand pretty firm defending them. However that does not justify upsetting others in this forum.

One of those strong beliefs that I defend is that I am not anti CD and that I don't see me or any other TS as better than any other transgendered individual. We have beat up the Michelle Hart article enough and there is no need to further that argument no matter which side of the argument you are on. However, I would like everyone to know that with everything I have been through in my transition, what stands out the most is how I see others. Not only other transgendered, but gays and lesbians, blacks and other minorities, Jews and people of other religions, and simply women of all kind. Honestly there likely was a time in my life that I looked down on some if not all of those. It is easy to do, but that does not make it right. I pride myself now for realizing we each are different, not better, just different. I hope some of you see the difference between not liking a behavior versus not liking individuals or groups.

TW bridges continents and although we can speak the same language, interpretation remains open. I believe many of the arguments escalated from differing interpretations. I can only speak for my part and say that I'm sorry I contributed to the escalation of this controversy.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 364 posts
    March 10, 2010 9:37 PM GMT
    Keep it up Marsha. While I do not always agree with your views, I like to read them. Your attitude and manner of expression are similar to my late wife, who incidently was also born on 26 October.
    • 105 posts
    March 11, 2010 6:03 PM GMT
    Marsha,

Speaking as a cross-dresser, I for one found nothing objectionable in your remarks. You expressed your opinions, which is the point of these fora, and if there was any controversy arising from the thread, I certainly don't feel you need to hold yourself accountable.

Hugs,

Judith
    • 871 posts
    March 11, 2010 7:07 PM GMT
    Hiya Marsha, Most of us know you're a daft ol bat so we're used to it now! lol Loves ya! xxxx
    • 1912 posts
    March 11, 2010 7:26 PM GMT
    I am humbled by the supportive comments here, in my Evolution of Marsha thread, and all the personal messages I received during and following the Michelle Hart thread. I do not blame myself solely for that thread getting out of hand at times, but I was clearly part of the controversy. I think it was Janis that said I tend to go on a bit and she is right, I should have just made my point and stepped back. We all have faults and that is probably my biggest.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 157 posts
    March 12, 2010 2:43 AM GMT
    Marsha

I find reading your posts educational – not always in the sense of learning a new fact but learning to see what I ‘know’ from a different perspective. As we, all travel our own different and unique paths we shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to see through someone else eyes, and feel with another’s life. I have found the more I listen (read), the wider my little window on the world gets and the more understanding I have on what others are feeling. In the short time I have been coming to TW I have found you to be a good tour guide as you point out things I had previously overlooked. That is not to say I’ve necessarily agreed with everything but gosh what a dull world that would be if we all did agreed.

I’d like to comment on where you spoke of looking down on people that were different and now you find your views have changed. I think that ties back in with another concept you have used before of ‘confidence’. If we are uncomfortable with ourselves, and therefore lack full confidence in ourselves, it is easy to project those feeling onto other people’s differences. In a way we build ourselves up by knocking others down. Once we know who we are and have self confidence then we don’t need to knock the others down and we can all stand up.

Jeri
    • 2017 posts
    March 11, 2010 2:39 PM GMT
    Marsha, you shouldn't really need to apologise for stating your opinions. As you say, others may find them controversial but that doesn't mean you have to alter them to fit the general concesus. Controversial or not, you're entitled to air them if that's what you believe in, (and you and I have disagreed in the past once or twice)!!

I followed the thread in question with interest, simply because I don't like the column's attitude, and I certainly didn't see a need to interject.

Stick to your guns, and carry on being who you are. We all get flamed once in a while for our opinions so you aren't alone there!

Nikki