I resemble that!

• 871 posts
    March 11, 2010 10:02 AM GMT
    Hiya,

It has struck me a number of times now that a few people have coined the phrase "I resemble that" and I felt the phrase was used as an objection to what was previously said, to which raised an interest of investigation because if left me perplexed.

I have scoured the internet for an interpretation of the word "resemble" expecting to find somewhere for it to say "i disagree or find offence with what was said" but every time, and as I thought, the meaning of the word is "to possess some similarity; to be like" and now I am left wondering if the people who coin this phrase are actually agreeing with the previous statement?

If I wanted to disagree with something previously said I would say "I resent that" as apposed to "I resemble that" and double-checked that "resent" doesnt mean that something was sent a second time, that would be "re-sent".

Maybe someone could provide a link to an online dictionary of "resemble" with the former interpretation or I will be left with the understanding that when someone says "I resemble that" they are actually agreeing with the statement regardless that their continuation is in contradiction.

Many Thanks
    Penny
    X
    • 157 posts
    March 11, 2010 12:45 PM GMT
    Hi Penny

I know I used "I resemble that" in a previous posting , have used the phrase for at least 40 years maybe longer, I don’t remember exactly how long. As Lucy said, I use the line lightheartedly in a joking manner to show what has been said is accurate and does apply to me. Obviously if I have done what the other person described and can recognize myself in those statements, (too much makeup, dressing 30 years below my age, yada yada yada), I really shouldn’t get livid about it. But, I feel I am free to offer more information as explanation, at least some rationalization, or maybe just a different point of view.

It may also be correct to use a phrase like “I resent that” but many times I find that may come out as confrontational, which can put everyone in a defensive mode. Once the defenses go up it’s hard to have an exchange of ideas though the walls.

Jeri
    • 871 posts
    March 11, 2010 6:57 PM GMT
    Thanks you two! Lovely peices of insight. I will have to remember next time I see the phrase coined it is meant to come with a splash of irony.
    Much Love
    Penny
    xxx
    • 448 posts
    March 11, 2010 9:42 PM GMT
    If you have to explain irony it rather defeats the object. But then why be ironic when you can just be honest.
    • 1652 posts
    March 11, 2010 10:14 AM GMT
    It’s called irony, Penny. I resemble that remark used in place of I resent that remark, it’s kind of, vaguely, a joke. Often used when some criticism is actually a little close to home, or perhaps totally accurate, but still resented by those being criticised. Whatever, it’s meant to be light-hearted.
    I seem to remember Eric Morecambe using it. But then I’m just showing my age (a remark which I might “resemble”).
    xx
    • 2358 posts
    March 11, 2010 11:05 PM GMT
    I resent you infering that I resemble that, Thats confrontational irony.

Cristine
    • 2068 posts
    March 11, 2010 11:32 PM GMT

Penny, methinks its a p*ss take.......lol

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie