Need Signatures...reform the DSM

• 33 posts
    March 22, 2010 7:45 PM GMT
    http://dsm.ifge.org/petition/

http://dsm.ifge.org/petition/
    • 42 posts
    March 23, 2010 8:44 PM GMT
    a very well thought out and executed patition. I signed it, though I found it disappointing to see less than 3,000 signatures to date. I wonder how many people are even aware of this petition, or it's significance, or even what the DSM actually is and how it affects people's lives.
    in our modern world, we love to say "how far we've come", and it's true, technology, medicine, so many ways we've grown as a species, yet the world of psychology can still be so backwards. I have been the primary witness in two commitment hearings, one where my testimony showed that someone was a danger to themselves or others, and one where my testimony demonstrated the opposite. I was shocked at the nature of the questions I was asked by the psychologists and psychiatrists who made up the panel deciding both people's fates, and severly disillusioned by thier attitudes, and treatment of both of the people involved. niether case concerned transgender issues, but the dynamic was similar enough. dark ages thinking, and inhumane actions by people with the power to affect the lives of anyone, transgender or not.
    • 434 posts
    March 24, 2010 1:03 AM GMT
    I went to the site and signed it.
    The DSM is an evolving piece of work and will eventually "come around". I hope we don't have to wait till the next DSM after this..
    • 1912 posts
    March 24, 2010 1:45 AM GMT
    Toni, the reason there are so few signatures is simple, it asks for your real name and email. Sadly most CD/TVs are not out and therefore fear having their name associated with this.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1912 posts
    March 24, 2010 11:38 AM GMT
    OK, sorry Melody, I didn't see it as one until you pointed it out as one. I guess people looking for those things tend to find them. Anyways, in the transgender community there are many who are not out and fear having their names known. If you look at the website requesting signatures, you will note that they even post all the names of those who have signed. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing for someone to find if they did a search on your name.............................I don't think so, somebody isn't thinking. And for the same reason, many don't contact their legislators to voice their concerns on legislation that effects us. I've brought it up before. You have those hiding in the trenches talking about what needs to be done, but they don't or can't do anything to help. Notice I included the word can't, so don't jump on me about this.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1017 posts
    March 24, 2010 2:10 AM GMT
    Hi Marsha,

How did this become a CD/TV issue?

I often "sign" petitions, including ones that members here are advocating, using my drab name. If someone figures out how to link my drab name to my femme name, so be it.

Do you just look for ways to denigrate CD/TV's?

Best,
    Melody