Emotional influences of taking hormone..

• 7 posts
    June 6, 2010 1:30 PM BST
    A lot of people told me taking Estrofem can induce emotional instability, but I never suffer......

My mood has gotten better since I have been taking Estrogen + Anti-androgen for 4 months, because of some mirable changes on my body, such as sleeked skin, reduction on ejaculation, erection, body hair and facial hair, more feminine appearance, etc

so how come of the aforesaid "emotional instability" ?
    • 1912 posts
    June 6, 2010 2:27 PM BST
    It is called mood swings, give it time. Glad to hear you currently are having no problems you are aware of. The fact of the matter is various lifestyles and other health issues can have an enormous effect on hormone levels and they can literally go up and down over a short period of time. The effects on individuals can vary significantly so what you may be currently experiencing isn't going to be the same for everyone else. Some are literally prone to going into deep depression which can be a deadly side effect.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    June 6, 2010 3:29 PM BST
    Hiya, When I first started taking hormones it was like I had PMS for 3 months running! Don't worry, I didn't kill too many people and the nearby houses where they were digging the foundations have now been completed. Since, I feel I have settled down to a fairly normal happiness.
    Penny
    x
    • 7 posts
    June 6, 2010 3:47 PM BST
    Well, I have not ever experienced depression which is purely induced by hormone, all of my unhappiness could be explained.
    • 7 posts
    June 6, 2010 4:25 PM BST
    Hi Cristine,

As I know smoking and drinking can cause fatal diseases, therefore I never do that. And I also diet carefully~

Prior to taking hormones, my testosterone level showed 27 (the unit forgotten), was it normal? But my facial & body hair are very few all along, no matter whether I take the hormone.
    Anyway, the figure 27 shocked me very much....!!!!!
    I believe that my current testosterone level shall have a sharp reduction...
  • June 6, 2010 3:53 PM BST
    Stephy.

The emphasis is on can, might, not will or won't. so much depending on other factors, The severity relating to wether you smoke, drink an abnormal amount, diet and if your a manic depressive well your going to be more susceptable to emotional swings. Depends on your own natural hormone levels and testesterone levels as well. Also there is the initial placebo effect, giving you a sense of euphoria, finally getting to stage one.

But I wish you well and hope things go well for you.

Cristine

• 1652 posts
    June 6, 2010 10:03 PM BST
    Hi Stephy,
    In your fist post you mention emotional instability as a possible side-effect of Estrofem , and in your second imply depression as a possible side-effect of hormones (in general, presumably).
    I would suggest either of these are extremely rare. Estrofem is estradiol, fine, good choice. Are you taking, or talking about anything else?
    Estradiol is not renowned for causing depression. In my experience it has caused no emotional instability at all. If anything it settled my mood, and made me less prone to mood swings.
    I think if estradiol does affect some people emotionally, to describe it as “emotional instability” would be a bit of an exaggeration.
    xx