Time to close our purses and wallets

• 252 posts
    July 12, 2010 6:19 PM BST
    We in the US in the LGBT community know full well that the Democratic Party in general and Obama in particular are seriously dragging their feet on our issues. ENDA seems about three-quarters dead at this point and the survey involved with the future implementation of the repeal of DADT is ridiculously homophobic and may well be a back door, the questions obviously crafted to people to know nothing about gay people. This may well be a measure allowing DADT to be re-implemented at a later time.

As a full and complete community, if we act as one, we have the ability to change the political landscape in this country and we've been far too scared by the left that "If you don't vote for us, the GOP....." Well, Which do we want more? A government that openly spits in our collective eye or or one that pats us on the back and tells us to be patient. Be patient. Just until Obama's second term. Pardon me? We have a Democratic House, a near super-majority in the Senate and a Democratic President and we can't get through legislation that a vast majority of Americans want.

We shouldn't have to wait any longer. We were promised so many things by this Administration and we have been delivered absolutely squat. We have found that we need to fight for our rights at least as hard if not harder with this Administration. Harder, because when we protest, our allies and friends on the left are saying to us "What are you doing? Why are you trying to sabotage your friends?"

Well, friendship is a two-way street, as I've often said. The Democratic Party has not been a friend to the LGBT community. We have been treated like ungrateful children and metaphorically placed at the children's table. The Dems scare us with the prospect of a GOP Administration, well, maybe that's what needs to happen. As Robery Graves wrote in I, Claudius "Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud...hatch out!" Maybe that's what we need, another GOP Administration to remind everyone how oppressive they really are and for the Dems to finally give us a real seat at the table and not this song and dance that they give us every four years.

As a community, we give money to Democratic campaigns (well, some of us do), we volunteer, and we vote. I echo the voices of many when I ask you to close your purses to Dems and only give money to candidates who openly support our legislation. If we don't try something else, this problem might be considered our own fault. Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Isn't it time we stopped knocking our heads against the wall?

Z
    • 181 posts
    August 9, 2010 10:15 PM BST
    Zoe, I tried in vain to tell people here, Richmond Virginia that Obumer was a shilock , and a fraud . I had all comments made about him on a couple of plastic model building forums as the moderators were all from Chicago and they supported this klown from day 1. At the church where I attended , I was branded a "RACIST" by both colors . I wound up changing churches as the so called T welcomming Metropolitan church here simply wants Gay and Democratic voters , not "Tea" party activists as myself . ellen