A new project...

• 105 posts
    August 16, 2010 5:46 PM BST
    ... set up by the Gender Identity Research and Education Society http://www.gires.org.uk is looking to collect information on transphobic hate crime in the UK. I set out below their request for this new initiative to be publicised in the trans community:

"REPORTING TRANSPHOBIC CRIMES
    Go to:
    http://www.TCrime.net

Please help us to publicise this new service. We can supply posters and reporting forms if you send an order to:

[email protected]

The Home Office has awarded GIRES a grant to fund a national system for reporting transphobic crime. Appended below are examples of the crimes that trans people have experienced. It appears that only a few victims of such crime report it to the police. One young trans person we know has experienced 60 criminal incidents in the past six months, which include being beaten up and a death threat. Yet she hopes by suffering all this persecution with dignity she will teach the perpetrators to behave better without involving the police. There are other reasons for not involving the police: the fear of being outed in Court; the lack of confidence that the police will deal sensitively and properly with the incident. Yet we know from our work with police forces throughout the UK that many are fully aware of the needs of trans people and very keen to support them.

TCrime.net enables crimes to be reported confidentially and leaves it the individual to decide what information should be passed on to the police.

We hope that TCrime.net will reveal the true extent of transphobic crime to policy makers within the criminal justice system, enable the police to pinpoint the hotspots where it occurs most frequently and provide examples of effective police responses that will build trust with trans people. The system will also enable us to put victims of transphobic crime in touch with the many groups that can provide them with practical support

Around 30% of people in the UK do not have access to the Internet. So, GIRES has provided both manual as well as electronic reporting facilities. In addition, reporting by third parties and witnesses will be a key element of the system.

TCrime.net is an intelligence gathering and communication system. GIRES recognises that the much more detailed information required to obtain a conviction should be obtained by the police.

EXAMPLES OF TRANSPHOBIC CRIME

Ø A 16 year old trans girl, on her way to school, regularly experienced people shouting insults from their cars like, ‘There’s the he/she/it’’, ‘Tranny boy’, and other names.

Ø An 18 year old received 84 abusive and threatening text messages within three days after she told her former school class that she had transitioned

Ø An older boy pulled up the skirt of a 12 year old trans girl to look at her genitals.

Ø A trans women was discovered at a bus station by another woman who then engaged in yelling abuse, spitting, punching, kicking and trying to scratch the trans woman’s face.

Ø A trans police officer was outed by the press under the headline “Lady Boy in Blue”. She was then threatened by a group of young men, near her home; her car was vandalised.

Ø An elderly trans man was surrounded by a teen-age gang who shouted insults and poked him with sticks.

Ø A 15 year old trans girl was beaten up on her way home.

Ø A trans woman was raped at knife-point on her way home.

Ø An assailant approached a trans woman, after realising she was transsexual, punched her to the ground, undid his trousers and forced her to perform an act of oral sex on him.

Ø A son murdered his father on discovering he was a transsexual person."

I would love to think that none of the members of this site will ever need to make use of this service, but I pass it on in case the unthinkable should occur, and in case anyone feels it appropriate to make these details more widely available.

Hugs,

Judith
  • October 5, 2010 10:15 PM BST
    I had people arrested and fined for Hate Crime at previous flat and it certainly is effective in both stopping the trouble and letting everyone know that I'm a transitioning TS.
    Then the owner of the empty downstairs flat came to inspect it ready for letting it and found his ceiling soaking wet as my kitchen pipes were all loose and the washer had a big leak on its inlet valve so the whole kitchen had to come out and evrything left for a month to dry out so it was a good excuse for me to leave and rent this place I'm in now.
    In this block I have a lovely apartment and some nice friends but some won't give me the time of day and some are openly hostile and I'm just waiting for one of them to step over the line so I can call my local Community policeperson to sort them out.
  • October 5, 2010 10:18 PM BST
    My town has the community police and a town centre team to patrol during shopping hours so how about contacting all these teams at police stations and town centres and giving them the posters and leflets so they know what hate crime is?
  • October 6, 2010 12:02 AM BST
    I started a thread in the law forum asking what experience people had with dealing with the police when reporting crime, hardly anyone responded. Think its a case of unless it happens to them they are not realy bothered.