Drowsy, Dizzy & Headache

• 7 posts
    August 18, 2010 9:59 AM BST
    I saw my doctor recently, he said my health had no problem since taking hormone,
    however, I always suffer from headache and dizziness, and also want to sleep more.
    I am sure that my spirit has got worse after taking hormone.

Before taking hormone, I didn't feel tired when I was off duty but I could even do 1 more part time job
    But nowadays......I feel exhausted when I just finish my 8-hour work

Is it a normal phenomenon of taking hormone although I am healthy?
    • 1912 posts
    August 18, 2010 12:41 PM BST
    Considering that you had also posted about antiandrogens, I'm wondering if you are maybe taking too high of dosage of spironolactone. Spironolactone is sometimes used for high blood pressure, but if you have lower blood pressure to start with it can reduce it more and cause dizziness and lack of energy. Spiro is also a diuretic which means you need to drink plenty of fluids. All this can effect your energy level. You should probably discuss this possibility with your doctor.

As time goes on, HRT reduces your muscle mass to more female levels and depending on your activities, this can also cause fatigue. My endurance is just fine, it is when I do lots of strenuous work that I get exhausted.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 7 posts
    August 18, 2010 1:28 PM BST
    Thanks for your concern, Marsha, you are TS-minded

The antiandrogen that I have been taking is "Siterone (Cyproterone Acetate)" instead of "Spironolactone", as I know Spironolactone can cause high blood potassium, which will be fatal.

I take "Siterone" 25mg/2days only, which is a very low dosage
    How do you think?
    • 1912 posts
    August 18, 2010 5:11 PM BST
    Stephy, I have never used Cyproterone as it is not available in the U.S. Looking at medical info online I found that it listed exactly what you are describing as possible adverse reactions.

Cyproterone Acetate
    adverse reactions   
    CNS
    Headache. Lessened ability to concentrate. Mental depression. Tiredness.
    Gastrointestinal
    Nausea.
    Other
    Blood clotting disorders. Carbohydrate metabolism changes. Liver dysfunction or tumors. Shortness of breath.

The dosage you mentioned is lower than what some take, but much higher than what others find effective, again it depends on the individual. The range that those using Cyproterone take varies from 10mg/per week to 100mg/per day. Cyproterone is considered the most potent antiandrogen available. Once again I think you should point this out to your doctor and discuss whether what you are taking is the right dosage or even the right medication for you.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2573 posts
    August 19, 2010 2:37 AM BST
    Good Advice.