Ask Zoey About Poker

• 252 posts
    September 20, 2010 4:48 PM BST
    I wanted to have a thread where I could use SOMETHING I know to help other girls. Well, what do I know? I know poker. I've paid for a significant amount of my transition with poker winnings and if you are patient and can keep a cool head, you too can make money playing cards.

My first tip: RUN to the game if you see college boys playing. There's nothing I like better than arriving at the poker room and seeing a bunch of boys wearing baggy pants, baseball caps turned backward and sunglasses. Always play against as many young guys as possible. All balls, no brains. All you have to do is wait for a good hand and take their money!!

No question is too basic or too advanced. I no how to play nearly every form of poker ever invented, so don't be shy!!

Z
    • 252 posts
    September 20, 2010 4:51 PM BST
    As a corollary to my first post, RUN AWAY if there are too many old people playing. You won't make any money on your good hands and when they raise, they have the best hand.

Z
    • 114 posts
    September 23, 2010 8:28 PM BST
    I love poker. I have played it since my youth. Paying for your transition with it is a very creative way to employ something you enjoy. Most excellent!
    • 252 posts
    September 24, 2010 3:44 PM BST
    Won $205 last night playing in a poker tournament called "Crazy Pineapple". The game's title is VERY true!! If anyone wants to know how to play this particular game, let me know. If I don't have to explain it, there's a chance I won't get a headache.

Z
    • 252 posts
    September 25, 2010 4:43 PM BST
    I was asked this question by a friend of mine the other day. It's one of those questions that you have to handle by feel. His question: How to play TT or JJ when the pot has been raised in front of you. My answer, I admit, was very much of a "lawyers" answer: It depends. I thought I'd use this example to show exactly how many things you have to be thinking of when you are playing. For this question, I'm assuming that I'm in a tournament, because that's the only real environment that I truly excel at. So, here are the things to think about:

How big a stack do I have? In a tournament, the amount of chips you have equals how powerful and scary you are. Often, you can get better hands to fold if you are willing to put them to a test for all their chips.

How big a stack does the other guy have? Does he have a huge chip lead on you? Is he pounding others on the table? If he has more chips than God, you may think that he's is trying to put a move on you, but are you willing to put all your chips in on JJ when he might be holding a good/mediocre hand like KQ and only be a 52/48 underdog? Also, if he DOES have QQ, KK or AA and you go allin, you will be about an 82/18 dog, and that's about as bad a hole as you will ever be in.

How many others in the pot? With a hand like TT or JJ you probably want to win it before the flop with a raise. If there are callers, you would prefer to play with only one other person. If you do happen to find yourself playing by two or more others, you must change the way you play the hand. Normally, if you are playing with only one person and you have TT and the flop comes Q-7-2 you probably like that flop. The odds are long that this single other person would probably NOT have a Q. However, if you have the same flop with two people instead of one, you won't be too far off by doublingg the chancce that one of your two opponents has a queen. You may need to let the hand go at that point.

Who are you playing against? A lot of amateurs don't pay any attention to this one, but it can say morre about what you do than anything else. Are you playing someone who has called 14 of the last 20 hands? Thiss player profile is called "a fish". Fish are also known as "calling stations." Usually, the only way they win is to hit a miracle card. Odds are long that he has anything worthwhile. If you are in a hand with a guy like this, ram and jam and get him out of the hand. Fish are the players you WANT to mplay against. The second player type is the "rock." Rocks only play when they have great hands. Thus, you can get them to lay down their hand with bluffs. However, if you ever get raised by a rock...RUN!! The third kind of player is a "maniac". The maniac player will raise with any two hole cards. He will raise with 9-4 offsuit. He will re-raise with J-8. You might think this type of player would be easy to defeat but that is not so. Even maniacs get AA once in a while. The key to beating this kind of player is to only play very very good hands. Then when you do have one, re-raise him and chop him down with your good hands. The last type of player is the "shark". THis is the type of player I try to be and the type that everyone should be. A shark doesn't get involved unless he/she has a good hand and when they do, they are in there raising. Being a shark is the ONLY way to consistantly be a winning player.

Anyway, I hope this helps any crazy women out there thinking that they want to play poker. Remember, be bold but intelligent. And for God's sake, play against college boys if you can!!!

Z
  • September 25, 2010 7:23 PM BST
    Zoe hun i got a question............... Whats the best sure fire, dont get caught, way to palm bullets get that rite win every time!!
    love and bigger hugs sabinixoxo
    • 2127 posts
    September 24, 2010 11:54 AM BST
    I don't want to brag too much but at one time I used to be pretty good at Backgammon. In my navy days, everyone played. Back in the day I even won several tournaments (oh, and some money too).

Haven't played for years now, mainly because it's not a very popular game in the UK. When I was away though, it was everywhere, from China to Turkey, from the US to Australia, Russia to India and France to Mexico. Seems like the Brits are missing out.

Hugs, Katie x